Sign in with
Your question

Iexplore.exe error. It's right there!

Last response: in Windows XP
December 28, 2008 7:05:47 PM

Hey, now when I attempt to start IE by clicking on the taskbar quick link I receive this message – “Windows cannot find ‘C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe’. So naturally I went to the IE directory to make sure everything was copasetic there and nothing seemed out of place, but I still get the message even when I double click directly on the .exe file. I’ve already scanned my system with Malwarebytes, AVG 8.0, AdAware, and HijackThis. Nothing major seemed to come up, but AVG did find something called klomp.exe, which I subsequently got rid off. I also made sure everything was completely cleared with the other programs. I’m thinking it’s a browser hijack, but HijackThis didn’t seem to come up with anything weird either. Task manager shows no strange processes running and nothing eating up excess amounts of RAM. I’ve tried repairing and reinstalling IE6 using my XP Home disc as per the Microsoft site directions, as well as IE7. I also ran sfc /scannow via the run prompt but that didn’t help. Anything I’m missing? Fire Fox stills runs perfectly fine and there are seemingly no issues with my gaming or anything else, just IE not starting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : iexplore exe error

December 28, 2008 9:59:28 PM

Sounds like the .exe is corrupted... reinstalling it should fix it.
December 29, 2008 7:42:40 AM

Zoron said:
Sounds like the .exe is corrupted... reinstalling it should fix it.

I tried a new IE install and repair via the Windows XP Home disc, but no go with either. I also downloaded the IE7 installation but also no fix. Any other installation suggestion?
Related resources
Anonymous
December 29, 2008 8:55:49 AM

try SFC /scannow from the command line. Have the WindowsXP CD ready.
Good luck,
December 29, 2008 12:43:39 PM

will it fire up in safe mode?
If so try to go to tools|internet options|advanced|reset (IE7)

Also while on the .exe file right click properties and make sure everything is in order. eg no read only,archive and does have full permissions.
December 29, 2008 3:13:21 PM

Klomp.exe is a trojan which is inserted into the execution code of iexplorer. I did the same thing you did with the same results. Do a search here http:

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=90562378c8c...

and have a look at the registry changes made. In particular the last two.
They are randomly created so the numbers won't match up exactly, but those two were pretty easy for me to find in my own registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{841B1672-2EF5-33DC-8356-76F2850970B1}]
IExplore = 0x00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplore.exe]
Debugger = "%System%\klomp.exe"

Notice in the top key that iexplorer's address has been redirected, and in the second klomp.exe is loaded as the default debugger. You (and I) deleted Klomp.exe so a program iexplorer is being directed to doesn't exist therefore iexplorer does nothing when opened(?)

How to fix this I not sure. I'm not that computer litertate. I found most of the registry keys involved, but even if I find all of them I'm leary of deleting them even though they were created by the trojan. So, currently I'm waiting for Symantec to get off there posteriors start doing what I pay them for! I got a $60 Best Buy gift card for Christmas. Maybe I'll go buy some anti-virus software that works...........
December 29, 2008 5:37:48 PM

If you search Symantec's site... they should at the very least have manual removal instructions if NAV doesn't automatically remove it. They may even have a tool that will remove it for you.

I'm no big fan of Norton, but if you've already paid for it, you might as well wait until your subscription runs out before getting something else.
December 29, 2008 7:22:33 PM

midiwiz said:
Klomp.exe is a trojan which is inserted into the execution code of iexplorer. I did the same thing you did with the same results. Do a search here http:

and have a look at the registry changes made. In particular the last two.
They are randomly created so the numbers won't match up exactly, but those two were pretty easy for me to find in my own registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{841B1672-2EF5-33DC-8356-76F2850970B1}]
IExplore = 0x00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplore.exe]

Notice in the top key that iexplorer's address has been redirected, and in the second klomp.exe is loaded as the default debugger. You (and I) deleted Klomp.exe so a program iexplorer is being directed to doesn't exist therefore iexplorer does nothing when opened(?)

How to fix this I not sure. I'm not that computer litertate. I found most of the registry keys involved, but even if I find all of them I'm leary of deleting them even though they were created by the trojan. So, currently I'm waiting for Symantec to get off there posteriors start doing what I pay them for! I got a $60 Best Buy gift card for Christmas. Maybe I'll go buy some anti-virus software that works...........

I am sure this is it. I've tried all the other suggestions and nothing appears to be working. I'm not a super computer guy on handling registry issues so I'm not sure how to proceed in a situation like this.

Is there a way to can revert my registry files to the previous state or would I have to weed out all of the newly created registry values as shown here: http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=90562378c8c...
Also, what progs can I use to analyze and sort through these files, as you did Midiwiz?
December 29, 2008 7:27:56 PM

Zoron said:
If you search Symantec's site... they should at the very least have manual removal instructions if NAV doesn't automatically remove it. They may even have a tool that will remove it for you.

I'm no big fan of Norton, but if you've already paid for it, you might as well wait until your subscription runs out before getting something else.

I'm not a big fan either and I wasn't able to find anything about this klomp on the site. From the few forums I stumbled across using Google, it appears this may be a fairly new hijacker.
December 29, 2008 8:52:42 PM

First submitted on 12-13-08..................
Anonymous
December 29, 2008 9:11:47 PM

It creates 15 registry keys, but i cant find wtf re-creates them on reboot :S

Just removing the
In
Will solve the problem temporary atleast.

Hers some info.

I hope someone smart will find a sulution to this anoying bugger this year ^^
December 29, 2008 9:23:54 PM

Quote:
It creates 15 registry keys, but i cant find wtf re-creates them on reboot :S

Just removing the
In
Will solve the problem temporary atleast.

Hers some info.

I hope someone smart will find a sulution to this anoying bugger this year ^^

I deleted that line from my reg and it worked! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

As for the the 15 registry keys, you deleted all of them and they reappeared following reboot? Did the Debugger = "%System%\klomp.exe" return as well? I'll try deleting all 15 and let you know what happens on my end. As I've said, running Malewarebytes, AVG 8.0, and AdAware seemingly cleared any traces, which may keep it at bay after a reboot.
December 30, 2008 1:03:13 PM

dnaphreaker said:
I am sure this is it. I've tried all the other suggestions and nothing appears to be working. I'm not a super computer guy on handling registry issues so I'm not sure how to proceed in a situation like this.

Is there a way to can revert my registry files to the previous state or would I have to weed out all of the newly created registry values as shown here: http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=90562378c8c...
Also, what progs can I use to analyze and sort through these files, as you did Midiwiz?

You'll probably have to sift through them one at a time as the numbers contained in each key have been randomly generated. Use the newly created registry values as a clue.

Also, notice that the numbers contained in in this key:

IExplore = 0x00000001

They should match the numbers in the first CLSID folder. However the rest of them you'll have to search until you find the matching values.

I'm currently running Kaspersky's online scan (they have definations for this trojan) hopefully it will help me locate the bum registry keys for removal.

December 30, 2008 8:54:31 PM

midiwiz said:
You'll probably have to sift through them one at a time as the numbers contained in each key have been randomly generated. Use the newly created registry values as a clue.

Also, notice that the numbers contained in in this key:

IExplore = 0x00000001

They should match the numbers in the first CLSID folder. However the rest of them you'll have to search until you find the matching values.

I'm currently running Kaspersky's online scan (they have definations for this trojan) hopefully it will help me locate the bum registry keys for removal.

I started looking through and didn't see the first two entries, but I may have found some probable with the others. I haven't had much experience with registry manipulation so I'm hesitant to delete/modify any. Let me know how that scan went, as I'll likely be running it myself next chance I get. I did get IE to work again but I'd certainly like to make this clean as thorough as possible.
December 30, 2008 9:23:05 PM

You can back up the registry and restore it if you delete something you need accidentally.
December 31, 2008 10:49:13 PM

dnaphreaker said:
I started looking through and didn't see the first two entries, but I may have found some probable with the others. I haven't had much experience with registry manipulation so I'm hesitant to delete/modify any. Let me know how that scan went, as I'll likely be running it myself next chance I get. I did get IE to work again but I'd certainly like to make this clean as thorough as possible.

Kaspersky did find 4 trojans according to my daughters report to me while I was working. Unfortunately, I neglected to have her save it, and when I lost the internet connection, the scan report was no longer available. So, I never actually saw the report. Therefore, I'm not sure what was actually found.

Kaspersky's online scan 7.0 took several hours to download, update, and scan my system. And, though it was thorough it doesn't remove any malware it only alerts you of its presence so you can manually remove it.
Hence, we're back at square one: how to clean the system?

I may try again, but man, that scan takes to long.
January 1, 2009 12:49:04 AM

midiwiz said:
Kaspersky did find 4 trojans according to my daughters report to me while I was working. Unfortunately, I neglected to have her save it, and when I lost the internet connection, the scan report was no longer available. So, I never actually saw the report. Therefore, I'm not sure what was actually found.

Kaspersky's online scan 7.0 took several hours to download, update, and scan my system. And, though it was thorough it doesn't remove any malware it only alerts you of its presence so you can manually remove it.
Hence, we're back at square one: how to clean the system?

I may try again, but man, that scan takes to long.

Wow, that is a brutal amount of time for a scan. I've updated the scanners on my end and ran through all of them again with no detections of anything that is seemingly related to klomp.exe or associated registry entries. My system appears clean with no errors with IE, and no issues have been cropping up since I removed the registry entry.
January 1, 2009 4:45:48 AM

dnaphreaker said:
Wow, that is a brutal amount of time for a scan. I've updated the scanners on my end and ran through all of them again with no detections of anything that is seemingly related to klomp.exe or associated registry entries. My system appears clean with no errors with IE, and no issues have been cropping up since I removed the registry entry.

Check your windows/system32 folder for recurances of klomp.exe or qdbon.dll yet?
January 1, 2009 4:50:40 AM

Also, I believe that malwarebytes will find and delete all registry entrys related to this trojan. So you may well be clean.
January 1, 2009 7:59:30 AM

midiwiz said:
Check your windows/system32 folder for recurances of klomp.exe or qdbon.dll yet?

I can't find any traces of either of these two files since my scans. Looking good so far.
January 3, 2009 5:05:42 PM

Reboot your computer, and hit f8 as soon as you see your bios go by. Keep hitting f8 till you get to the windows safe mode prompts. Go to top and choose safe mode the very top option. Then choose what operating system you want to startup.

After windows boots up in safe mode, it will prompt you to a use windows restoration points. It will be yes or no. yes if you want to go into safe mode or NO if you want to use a restore point.

choose no and it will take you into windows restoration. Just choose a restoration point before you got the virus. You don't lose any saved work, just programs and such that have affected windows.

If you can choose a point before you got the virus you are golden. Worked like a charm for me.

At least till the virus protection companies find a solution to this problem.

I'd also check for the klomp.exe or the qdbon.dll before starting ie again.

This took me all of 5 minutes to fix this virus doing this.
January 4, 2009 4:24:59 PM

I too deleted the registy value Debugger = "%System%\klomp.exe"
and I also have recovered the use of internet explorer. It works fine, and I've not found klomp.exe or qdbon.dll in the windows/system32 folder. But, I'm still concerned about the functions (if any) that the remaining created registry entries are performing. I downloaded and ran malwarebytes anti malware 1.31 it found and cleaned 27 infected objects. None directly related to klomp. I going to update it and run it one more time. But, damn it took 9+ hours to run a full system scan the first time I ran it, I could feel myself getting older as it ran.
January 7, 2009 4:12:23 AM

This is my fix for the klomp issue.

Start-->Run-->Regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE
/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Image File Execution/Iexplore.exe

Right click and go to properties.

For all users that are listed there, set each one to "Deny" top to bottom.

It then eliminates IE crippling issue, and also prevents reinsertion to the registry.

Run your Anti-virus/Spyware program (or perhaps you can now download one) and remove.

~Necrotech~
January 7, 2009 4:21:34 AM

necrotech said:
This is my fix for the klomp issue.

Start-->Run-->Regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE
/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Image File Execution/Iexplore.exe

Right click and go to properties.

For all users that are listed there, set each one to "Deny" top to bottom.

It then eliminates IE crippling issue, and also prevents reinsertion to the registry.

Run your Anti-virus/Spyware program (or perhaps you can now download one) and remove.

~Necrotech~

Thanks for the tip Necro. I was hoping to employ some safeguard from reinsertion, so I'll definitely try this. Looks like nothing has crept back at this point and this should cement that.
January 8, 2009 3:57:07 PM

You got a huge problem dude, its the trojan.Vundo, it's integrated in windows essantial processes and it's integrated into your windows dictory.

Only option is to completely reinstall windows (i got the problem just 2 days ago)

I tried to reinstall using a packard bell master cd but the virus messed up the partition it made and i had to reinstall windows using a officail windows copy on CD with a new partition.

VIRUSSCANNERS REMOVE THE INFECTED FILES BUT DO NOT DETECT THE INFECTED PROCESSES AN WINDOWS FILES BECAUSE THE VIRUS USES THE ORIGINAL FILENAMES AND IT'S USES THE ORIGINAL FILES BUT THEN WITH A TROJAN IN IT, SO IT SIMPLY CANT BE REMOVED !!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE BECAUSE IT CAN'T BE REMOVED, ONCE INTERGRATED INTO YOUR SYSTEM IT KEEPS COMING BACK, ONLY OPTION IS TO REINSTALL WINDOWS BY LEGAL COPY !!!

January 11, 2009 12:14:49 AM

Following up with some new info, I stumbled across this post in a forum that may help any of you who are still have issues cleaning any last traces out:

How to remove klomp.exe (also known as qdbon.dll).

I had a problem starting Internet Explorer, but this solved it:

1. First, remove, using HiJackThis, registry input C:\WINDOWS\system32\xwr63956.dll

2. Using regedit, remove registry-key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe.

3. Finally delete these files from windows/system32:
xwr63956.dll, wr63956.dll, xa?Huh?.exe (files starting with the letters "xa") and qdbon.dll.

I wasn't able to find any of the listed .dll files in my system, nor the klomp.exe, as it seems my scans have eliminated those (HiJackThis, Malwarebytes, and AVG). However, I did find six of the xa---------.exe files and they are as follows:

xa50186109.exe
xa50186312.exe
xa50227687.exe
xa50227890.exe
xa50286734.exe
xa50286937.exe

I've deleted those files and I'll update if they return. All six were created within one minute in the system32 folder at the time I started having my IE issue, so make sure to eliminate those as well.
January 11, 2009 6:43:18 PM

Read my post above, it's you answer, please if there are any people who think they are smart, dont be stupid and just reinstall your windows.

It will only cost you time if you are gonna put research in it, but it wont help you, this is one of the most advanced trojan.horse i ever got on my PC in years !!!
January 17, 2009 9:16:12 AM

Just wanted to share that we tried these methods. We had run numerous cleaners (AVG, AVG Rootkit, Spy sweeper, Spyware doctor, hijackthis, malwarebytes, superantispyware, spybot, ad-aware) but none seemed able to resolve the issue completely.

Likely the culprit *.DLLs were removed by the cleaners, but Windows still could not find iexplore.exe.

But this step:

dnaphreaker said:
2. Using regedit, remove registry-key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe.

proved to be the solution. It had "ropfnqz.exe" as a target, likely a randomly generated filename that was no longer there. So, by removing the key the "hijack" is gone, and all seems well.

And RDCMrT, there are new and advanced trojans every day, but if we give up and reinstall every time, they will win. Surrender is not an option. Sometimes reinstall is not an option. It's research like this that in the end helps resolve so many infections and problems out there, that contributes to future solutions and keeps us from falling under the heels of these miscreants creating these infections. And the determined men and women resolving these problems with seemingly tireless effort -- unsung heroes of a digital age.

February 4, 2009 12:01:23 PM

JEZUS READ MY POST ABOVE THESE.

People are still thinking they have a solution, but here's a new one: THERE IS NO SOLUTION !!!

So if you have this virus/problem just reinstall windows before the virus damages any internal hardware like your HD !!!
February 4, 2009 12:26:26 PM

brotherche said:
And RDCMrT, there are new and advanced trojans every day, but if we give up and reinstall every time, they will win. Surrender is not an option. Sometimes reinstall is not an option. It's research like this that in the end helps resolve so many infections and problems out there, that contributes to future solutions and keeps us from falling under the heels of these miscreants creating these infections. And the determined men and women resolving these problems with seemingly tireless effort -- unsung heroes of a digital age.

Oh yeah and for u.

What is this all about, even the hardest anti-virus/spyware software developers gave up this virus, even the hardest virus/spyware scanners wont find the virus, and even if they find it, they will mess up your windows install.

So there is no other option then reinstall your windows.

Come on dude go cry about something else, it even is recommended to reinstall your windows every 6 months, not even the most crazy idea because after 6 months your pc is bursting because of all the cookies and other crap from the internet.

Come on dude admit it is very pathetic what you wrote above, go worry about your real life and the things that will happen there, i just cant believe somebody can make sutch a commotion about a windows reinstall.
Sorry i just think you pathetic thats all !!!

By the way: just back-up all you data and you won't even suffer from data-loss.

I think you just in life a virtual world too mutch my dear friend, have a nice day !
February 5, 2009 5:16:25 AM

It certainly is removable... for those that know what they're doing. While a reload is the simplest solution, it is by no means the only solution. The insults are completely unnecessary... not everyone gives up without a fight.

Besides, if you remove all traces of the virus, then do a repair install, you can avoid a complete format and reload... as long as too much damage hasn't been done. Sometimes too much damage is done and a reload is needed, but not always.

When you say "the hardest virus/spyware scanners", which ones are you referring to specifically? Sophos seems to be capable of removing it, and I'm sure there are others. Don't make the mistake of assuming that Norton, McAffee, AVG and Avast! are the only antivirus progams out there.

I prefer to reload my PC as little as possible... I may do it once a year or maybe less. I have never had an issue with viruses. People don't like reloading Windows when they don't have to... even if they have a back-up available. It's a time-consuming process and not everyone has the time. Yes, sometimes it has to be done... but why do it when you don't have to?
February 5, 2009 7:45:59 AM

Zoron said:

It certainly is removable... for those that know what they're doing. While a reload is the simplest solution, it is by no means the only solution. The insults are completely unnecessary... not everyone gives up without a fight.

Besides, if you remove all traces of the virus, then do a repair install, you can avoid a complete format and reload... as long as too much damage hasn't been done. Sometimes too much damage is done and a reload is needed, but not always.

When you say "the hardest virus/spyware scanners", which ones are you referring to specifically? Sophos seems to be capable of removing it, and I'm sure there are others. Don't make the mistake of assuming that Norton, McAffee, AVG and Avast! are the only antivirus progams out there.

I prefer to reload my PC as little as possible... I may do it once a year or maybe less. I have never had an issue with viruses. People don't like reloading Windows when they don't have to... even if they have a back-up available. It's a time-consuming process and not everyone has the time. Yes, sometimes it has to be done... but why do it when you don't have to?

Well actually i wasn't referring to any of those programs, i was talking about ad-aware 2008, best anti virus i used ever.

And the virus u are referring to, isn't the exact same virus were talking about here i think, it misses some files and it says nothing about the modification is makes with the ieexplorer.exe file, and to let it come back after
removal.

And yeh you are right it can be removed ... well it says on the internet and in theory, but when it comes to removal, dude thrust me for the fourth time: "IT CANT BE REMOVED", and about the repair install thrust me: "IT DOESN'T WORK" i tested it myself.

And oh yeah when removed, because you say it can be removed, my PC needed 10 minutes and 6 seconds (yeah i timed it) to start-up and to shut- down, so if you guys believe it can be removed allright, or be removed without damage to your system and you won't need to do a windows reinstall fine but then you will be the dumbest ass ever.
Anonymous
February 5, 2009 1:33:21 PM

RDCMrT said:
Well actually i wasn't referring to any of those programs, i was talking about ad-aware 2008, best anti virus i used ever.

And the virus u are referring to, isn't the exact same virus were talking about here i think, it misses some files and it says nothing about the modification is makes with the ieexplorer.exe file, and to let it come back after
removal.

And yeh you are right it can be removed ... well it says on the internet and in theory, but when it comes to removal, dude thrust me for the fourth time: "IT CANT BE REMOVED", and about the repair install thrust me: "IT DOESN'T WORK" i tested it myself.

I can assure you that it can be removed, I was infected at the start of Jan, been clean now for 4 weeks... similar steps to those above...

As for "ad-aware 2008, best anti virus i used ever" that kind of explains why you couldnt clean it... ad-aware is not anti-virus software, it removed ad-ware... which is completly different.

Reinstalls really are a last resort, as for reinstalling every 6 months? I dont know who you are quoting but the last time I heard similar advice it was regarding windows 98... and it was bad advice then! windows has come along way in the last 10 yesrs, if you are carefull and learn how to maintain your installation properly there is no reason to re-install so frequently.

If you are infected, All I can say is that following the tips above will get you sorted, keep with it, reinstall if you *have to* but you certinally dont need to for this!
February 7, 2009 10:34:39 AM

Hey Everyone,

I'm worried I have it bad! I can't find my System32 folder! I went to my c drive to find it but it wasn't there, I did a search and it wasn't there either. I am running Windows XP, can anyone help?

Right now my temp solution is doing the "2. Using regedit, remove registry-key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe."

Thanks!
February 8, 2009 4:48:14 AM

Ad-Aware is barely useful for removing syware / adware... let alone viruses. Personally, I use Panda at home and I've never had an issue with viruses or spyware. If you're putting your trust in Ad-Aware, then that trust has been seriously misplaced. This alone would suggest that you do NOT know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry, but if you want to be taken seriously, you're going to have to cut the insults. If you can't post an opinion without personally attacking someone that disagrees with you... you're going to have a very short posting career in this forum.

You're free to reload your computer every 6 months or more if that's what you think is necessary... however, the rest of us will continue to actually use our computers instead of reloading them at the drop of a hat. Some of us actually know how to do something beyond a couple of scans with Ad-Aware.
February 8, 2009 5:02:27 AM

Quote:
removal.

I suggest you actually read the entire description... because it makes you look like less of an ass when you try to disagree with me:

Quote:
so that klomp.exe is injected into the execution sequence of iexplore.exe by being installed as its default debugger

You'd also know (if you bothered to actually look and read, once again) that it mentions every single registry modification that allows the infection to reoccur even after the original files have been deleted. It is necessary to delete all of the registry entries in order to completely disinfect the computer. This is something any decent antivirus will be able to do. In other words, not Ad-Aware.

February 8, 2009 1:23:48 PM

Zoron said:
Ad-Aware is barely useful for removing syware / adware... let alone viruses. Personally, I use Panda at home and I've never had an issue with viruses or spyware. If you're putting your trust in Ad-Aware, then that trust has been seriously misplaced. This alone would suggest that you do NOT know what you're talking about.

I'm sorry, but if you want to be taken seriously, you're going to have to cut the insults. If you can't post an opinion without personally attacking someone that disagrees with you... you're going to have a very short posting career in this forum.

You're free to reload your computer every 6 months or more if that's what you think is necessary... however, the rest of us will continue to actually use our computers instead of reloading them at the drop of a hat. Some of us actually know how to do something beyond a couple of scans with Ad-Aware.

Okay about the ieexplorer.exe thing your right.

But the **** about ad-aware is totally misplaced, because i just had 14 files infected by a worm and 10 files infected by a trojan removed by ad-aware, so saying ad-aware can't be thrusted is bull****.

And im not trying to make u look like an ass but your saying things that are misplaced and arent right, so yeah i let you of it.

And the insult of "Some of us actually know how to do something beyond a couple of scans with Ad-Aware" now you are up too let me look like an ass, i posted a few comments before where i allready stated that i aren't a n00b too and can figure things out manually myself.

The fact why i respond like this is because of u dumb asses to come back every time and say it CAN be removed when people post everyday the message they cant remove the virus, so im just letting you know about the fact.

And the computer cleanup every 6 months won't say I DO THAT EVERY SIX MONTHS, but i was just referring about what microsoft is recommending.

So go cry about it if you think i want to look u like an ass, eventually u allready did that for yourself, so why would I bother.
February 8, 2009 1:27:16 PM

Quote:
I can assure you that it can be removed, I was infected at the start of Jan, been clean now for 4 weeks... similar steps to those above...

As for "ad-aware 2008, best anti virus i used ever" that kind of explains why you couldnt clean it... ad-aware is not anti-virus software, it removed ad-ware... which is completly different.

Reinstalls really are a last resort, as for reinstalling every 6 months? I dont know who you are quoting but the last time I heard similar advice it was regarding windows 98... and it was bad advice then! windows has come along way in the last 10 yesrs, if you are carefull and learn how to maintain your installation properly there is no reason to re-install so frequently.

If you are infected, All I can say is that following the tips above will get you sorted, keep with it, reinstall if you *have to* but you certinally dont need to for this!

Yeh i now it says: ad-aware. but out of my experiences it also removes, virusses, like trojans and worms, so the name doens't state it's only removing adware.
Do u actually have used the program or do u just telling me this because the name is ad-aware ???
February 9, 2009 4:59:40 AM

Once again demonstrating your astounding reading skills. I stated that YOU are making YOURSELF look like an ass, not me. I actually know what I'm talking about... and you keep proving to the rest of us that you don't.

I have used Ad-Aware. I found it to be woefully inadequate in removing what it was designed to remove: spyware and adware. It was never designed to remove viruses. A trojan horse is NOT a virus and neither is a worm. They can exhibit virus-like behaviour, but they are not viruses. If you want to remove malware permanently, an antivirus of some sort is necessary. Ad-Aware won't do a damn thing against this particular infection and you suggesting that it's good at removing everything really isn't doing anything to support your position. People that report they haven't had any luck removing this infection obviously haven't followed all the steps necessary to remove it. Delete ALL the FILES, all the REGISTRY entries and scan the computer with an actual ANTIVIRUS program. That is unless your antivirus program manages to clean if off completely. (Which any decent antivirus will)
February 9, 2009 4:05:55 PM

Zoron said:
People that report they haven't had any luck removing this infection obviously haven't followed all the steps necessary to remove it. Delete ALL the FILES, all the REGISTRY entries and scan the computer with an actual ANTIVIRUS program. That is unless your antivirus program manages to clean if off completely. (Which any decent antivirus will)

Sure dude the only way i dont understand u is because the way u are typing.

If you think this is the option fine.

But i allready KNOW WHAT TO DO TO REMOVE A VIRUS, i dont have to hear it from u, fine if u think ad-aware cleans nothing, strange my PC runs fine with all the downloading and scanning with ad-aware.

But hey, u are the one who knows it best right.

I'm not gonna discuss anything more of this with u, the only thing i see on my screen is cry baby bull**** !!!

!