Need to Reformat Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquafino

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Hi, I just recently reinstalled vista to my computer in an attempt to permanently erase my harddrive and start all over. There was way too much junk on my computer and I don't have time to go through deleting all of it.

Instead of it re-installing and deleting everything on my harddrive, it kept a folder in my C: drive called "Windows.old" I spent about 30 minutes waiting for all of it to delete. Does anybody know of a website that can teach me step by step directions on how to reinstall Vista and in the process erase my harddrive? It would help a lot if the site had pictures as well.

Thanks for any future help :)

Solution
when you install vista from the disk, at the point where it asks which drive to install it on, there should be an option to reformat the hard drive
make sure its NTFS, and you should be good to go.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I had the exact same problem. It really slowed vista down on boot and when defragmenting the HDD...well it took ages because it was stupidly fragmented.

When it asks which partition you want to install only, click the driver options button, then format. Then install vista.

Out of interest, would there have been the same effect if I deleted the partition or would that have completely removed my CDrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.