/ Sign-up
Your question

Changing character encoding for mp3 metadata

  • Metadata
  • MP3
  • Encoding
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 7, 2011 4:26:17 PM

Bit of a strange one this, so I wasn't sure where to put it. I have a bunch of mp3 files given to me by my brother in law in Russia. The filenames and metadata are mostly in Russian. My machine is running W7 Home Premium 64 bit. As you can see from the screenshot, the actual file and folder names are showing up fine in Cyrillic but the metadata is being mangled into gibberish: the same thing happens in Windows media player, VLC and Foobar2000.

I assume this is something to do with the character encoding of the metadata, but is it possible to change it, preferably in a batch operation?


More about : changing character encoding mp3 metadata

August 7, 2011 5:33:23 PM

That seems to be doing the job, as long as I go through each album individually. Thanks!

edit: for files where I didn't know what to search for in the tags DB (because they weren't properly organised in a folder per album) some buggering about with character sets and encoding in Notepad++ can make the tags into legible Cyrillic, although having to do every file like that would be a pain.
February 7, 2014 11:48:07 AM

I ran up against this again recently, and since this thread was one of the top results I figured I'd better post the result I found, which is Chacon for Foobar2000, which lets you change the encoding as a batch without having to retag everything individually.