Suggestions on my new build, new to building computers

Buckmanx

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I decided I needed a new computer before I went to college. This would be the first computer i have built my-self but I think i will have a friend who knows more than me help my build it. I have been browsing the web and these forums and what my friends have told me and have come up with this build.

Case-NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard- MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card- EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
RAM- CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Power Supply- OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W
Heatsink- ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink
DVD- SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L

My only big concerns were if everything was going to fit my motherboard and the heatsink.

Also is the motherboard hard to set-up when building the comp?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Everything is a good pick, any changes would more a personal choice then a better part.
Most manuals have more than enough information to set up your system. Take your time and enjoy

akhilles

Splendid
If you overclock, ditch the cpu hsf. get a typhoon, infinity, ninja, noctua, or even a geminii. The zally will keep you & your roommate in your dorm room from sleeping.

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
If you overclock, ditch the cpu hsf. get a typhoon, infinity, ninja, noctua, or even a geminii. The zally will keep you & your roommate in your dorm room from sleeping.

I agree, the build looks very good, you have obviously done your homework. Kudos!

I would get a different heatsink though, I actually have a zalman cnps9500, and you would get better cooling and less noise with some other coolers.

I would go with a scythe infinity or a thermaltake ultra 120 or a tuniq tower.

Good luck, :wink:
Pete

Surferosa

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Good choices well made. Perosonal preference (prejudice?) would move me away from an MSI mobo, and I'd also take the advice on the hsf- I'd also mention the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. V good for the money. I'm also a big fan of the Samsung Spinpoint T harddisks they are very quiet.

And if your thinking of not bothering with overclocking- I would consider it- youv'e just chosen a great beginners overclockers rig :)- its easier than ever before with the nvidia chipsets.

Nice build :)

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If you go with the Tuniq Tower with that case you will have to remove two of the 120mm side fans. I had to do that, as well as remove the top 80mm fan and it still stays very cool and quiet.

flyer335

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
My only big concerns were if everything was going to fit my motherboard and the heatsink.

Also is the motherboard hard to set-up when building the comp?

Howdy Buckmanx,

I think you'll like the P6N SLI Platinum. All of your selections have been verified to fit by those brave souls that came before. Most have gathered their collective experience at, I'm sad to say, another forum ("http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1164174").

Likewise, there is pretty good info at the MSI User-to-user fourum at -
"http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?board=47.0".

I don't know how loud or how well that Zalman cooler performs, but if you can afford the few extra $$, I'd agree with the others about replacing it with the Sythe Ninja or Infinity (preferable), Ultra 120, Big Typhoon, or Enzotech X-treme 120(?). Preferably, a cooler with a quiet, downward blowing fan so as to help cool the NB.

As for initial setup, it shouldn't be a problem if you have any experience with working in BIOS setup screens. A few general tips:

1. Do your build outside the case, on the box the mobo came in, snaking the needed connectors from the case's front panel to the mobo; eg. power button, reset button, HDD LED, and power LED.

2. Initially, install only one DVD/CD-R/RW drive, one HDD, one DIMM (stick of RAM), one video card, and the power supply. A floppy drive if you will use one, as well. Oh, your CPU and cooler, too! Be sure to check the back side of the mobo for solid engagement of the push-pins shoulsd you get one of the coolers that use the standard Intel mounting system (Sythes...). Don't forget to check/re-apply thermal grease if neccesary and use a fan since the mobo will be horizontal with no channelized airflow for cooling otherwise passive heatsinks (Infinity, Ultra-120,...).

3. Boot to the BIOS set-up and manually set the SATA drive and boot sequence, as well as Memory Clock, Memory Voltage, and if desired, timings. Save settings and Exit.

4. Load your OS.

5. Load NVIDIA C55/MC51 drivers and Realtek HD Audio Drivers, if desired. DO NOT load any of the offered utilities such as 'Dual-Core Center', 'MSI Online Update' or 'nTune'! You might want to download the current driver sets to a CD prior to setting up your system so you can forego having to do it twice. When installing drivers, always load one set at a time, with a re-boot in between each install.

6. Once you have the basic system up and running with all current drivers and everything is working without error, install/load any additional components/peripherals one at a time. Ensure each one is working without error prior to installing the next item. Same with software, though once all hardware is installed and checked you can re-assemble the system in the case and continue with software installation from there.

7. On installing into the case, be sure to use all 9 mounting points, using non-conductive (non-ferrous) stand-offs. If the mobo happens to make contact with the case so that the two are bonded/grounded to each other, you'll fail to boot (FTB). I doesn't usually result in damage, but can be a b!tch to figure out. That's why you should do the initial install out of the case. That and it's easier to troubleshoot with the system out in the open.

8. Enjoy a fast, highly configurable system!!

I'd recommend downloading the manual before hand so you can go through it and ensure you are comfortable with the process and that you've ordered everything you'll need. Here's the address -
"http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1140".

Hope this helps!