runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I am trying to share files between two of my computers on my home network. I am able to share the files when they are in the shared folder but nowhere else. I have given everyone read/write/modify access on the shares that I created. My other computer can see the shares but when I try to access them it tells me it can not find location or that I do not have permission to view the files. Can anyone offer any assistance.

runmymouth

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

This is how I currently have it set up. Both users are James, the PC-name are James-Old, James-PC. I have vista 32 on James-Old and vista 64 on James-PC. Also was unable to connect from James-PC under windows 7. It is quit perplexing. I deleted all passwords on both accounts to try to rule out that issue.

So at this point are the accounts passworded or not? I think they may need to be to get this to work.

I have seen this issue before. Try with a fresh folder, not an entire drive, and share it by giving specific ownership permission to yet another user name on a fresh, passworded account, newly created on the connecting machine for test purposes. I dicked around with this for quite a while having the same issue but eventually I got it working.

Come to think of it I was connecting from an XP machine to a Vista machine. Not sure if I ever got the vista to vista connect worked out - I'll try and see.

edit: OK, I checked and vista to vista works, same username and password on the accounts and logged in as that user on both machines - I gave co-ownership permission in that pull down menu. If that doesn't work for you then I'm out of ideas.