Sign in with
Your question

RAID0 Performance on an older MB

Last response: in Components
May 23, 2007 11:18:59 PM

Posted this elsewhere too but thought I'd try this list as well.
I'm trying to understand if my RAID0 performance is typcial for an older system or if it seems slow - and if the later, if there's anything I can do about it.

Here's my system specs (relevant pieces anyway):
ASUS A8V Deluxe
(sports a Promise PDC20378 RAID controller which I'm using for my
RAID0 array)
A64 FX-60 (not overclocked)
1GB DDR PC3200
Two WD Raptor 74GB Sata150 drives in the RAID array
Win XP Pro SP2

At any rate, with Sandra i see rates of about 73MB/sec. With HD Tach I see rates between 83MB/sec and 93MB/sec, average of about 84MB/sec and burst rates of 103 MB/sec. It also shows a random access time of 8.1msec and cpu utilization of between 1 and 2 percent.

The rates seem low to me for Raptors in a raid0. Does anyone know if there are limitations with the Promise that may be the cause (or anything else on this MB)? Any suggestions for how to go about improving this
(and don't say get a new MB please!).

Thx,
Sdrac
January 7, 2008 10:05:31 AM

Your speeds with HDTach and Sandra are quite low. In fact, those speeds are what you should be getting with a single raptor, let alone RAID.

Try:
1)Update motherboard BIOS/controller firmware
2)Are you sure its configured as RAID0? Not RAID1 or JBOD by accident?

I don't think its a physical issue with the motherboard, more of a misconfigured setting somewhere.

BTW, check if the hard disks are running in UltraDMA5 or 6. If it is lower than that or PIO, you will have to change it.
January 12, 2008 5:15:19 PM

all on board raid systems - suck!

you get very little increase in speed

a typical new or old raid on board will give you 20-30% boost even in raid0 with more then 2 drives

why do i build all raid systems?

since the drives can multitask better - while one drive seeks one can read.

now a raid card will give massive increases in speed read/write -- 200-500%

in $8000 computer i may use the onboard system in raid10 for with 4 raptors, the os drive - and add a raid card with 5 or more drives in raid5.

your os drive is fast and full reduant

the data drive is super fast for moving large data files fast such as movies
Related resources
!