Windows 7 on VMWare on top of Archlinux

mostefanafis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I have a question, I have Dell i3 Latitude PC, on which i have Windows 7, I am willing to install Archlinux on it but i am afraid that i wont be able to use all those application that i am using rigth now on Windows 7... Like office outlook and graphics applications...

What do you guys suggest if I use VMware or any other virtualization application on Arch to install windows 7 on it... without any risk... I cant afford to keep my system down for hit and try...

Please suggest, if Windows 7 is stable on Vmware or there are any limitations?

Thanks

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

What graphics programs are you currently using? What do you use them for? GIMP will do a lot of things but it isn't Photoshop or SAI, nor is Blender a substitute for high-end Maya/MotionBuilder/Max. Do you HAVE to use Outlook or can you use something like Claws or Thunderbird? How much flexibility do you have in your software choices?

If you have ZERO risk tolerance and can't afford downtime then you probably should just stick with Win7, unless your reasons for needing/wanting Arch are extremely compelling.

It sounds like you are new to Linux. As such, I would recommend using Ubuntu or Mint instead of Arch which is quite a bit more difficult to setup for beginners. The easiest would be to use wubi the windows ubuntu installer:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

Please be advised that you will want to use linux applications rather than windows applications. for example instead of MS Office you would use LibreOffice. Instead of Photoshop you would use Gimp, etc.

Windows 7 runs fine in either Virtualbox or VMWare. The limitation is that it will be slower than running it natively. If you install ubuntu with Wubi then you can keep both Windows 7 and Ubuntu and just select which one to start when you turn your computer on.