Vista running slowly on new install

Status
Not open for further replies.

regamon

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
I just installed Windows Vista 64 bit and it is running much slower than I had hoped. It takes 4 mins from the time the green horizontal bar starts to the screen where I enter my password (I thought it would be must faster than that). Also when I run vista, I feel as if things are running very slowly as compared to XP. For example, there is often a lag with my mouse when I have firefox open and people are gchatting me. I turned off aero and am still getting these problems. My specs are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R
Video Card: EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (5-5-5-15)
OS Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815A 160GB 7200 RPM
Storage Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500641A 500GB 7200 RPM
Monitor: SAMSUNG 245BW Black high glossy 24" 5ms
Case: Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS
CPU Cooler: Tuniq Tower 120
DVD ROM: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM
DVD Burner: SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner

I installed vista on a new partition and installed the latest driver for my graphics card. All my other drivers were installed off of my CD that came with the MB. Does anyone know any tips that may help me speed up Vista? This is really frustrating me.

Solution
Your problem almost certainly has to do with your hardware/drivers as this is NOT normal Vista behavior. I emphasize this because there is a lot of misinformation out there about Vista which makes many people assume all of their problems are intrinsic to Vista.

I suppose there is a chance too it is some piece of software you installed but since this is a new Vista install I assume you would have noticed the slowdown occurring only after you installed something - sounds like this has been happening from the beginning?

What piece of hardware is hanging is hard to say but a clue here is that you are using the drivers which came off the CD and CD drivers are usually out of date - DL the latest drivers from Gigabyte for the mobo and the...
Your problem almost certainly has to do with your hardware/drivers as this is NOT normal Vista behavior. I emphasize this because there is a lot of misinformation out there about Vista which makes many people assume all of their problems are intrinsic to Vista.

I suppose there is a chance too it is some piece of software you installed but since this is a new Vista install I assume you would have noticed the slowdown occurring only after you installed something - sounds like this has been happening from the beginning?

What piece of hardware is hanging is hard to say but a clue here is that you are using the drivers which came off the CD and CD drivers are usually out of date - DL the latest drivers from Gigabyte for the mobo and the on board network card and see if that does it.

Try booting into safe mode too and see if the system is still slow.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.