Closed

What is drawback of ubuntu

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 7, 2012 3:09:35 AM

Surya_gaur said:
Hello,
why ubuntu is not so much popular?

The way i see it, people are pretty brainwashed on what an OS is supposed to be ie Windows. and honestly don't know that there is a completely free, usable alternative out there. I think that Ubuntu is pretty damn good but a lot of people have different flavors they like ie Linux Mint 12, Kubuntu etc. Its all about finding the OS flavor that you like.

Score
May 7, 2012 3:46:01 AM

On the contrary, Ubuntu is the most popular linux distribution.

Surya_gaur said:
Hello,

Score
Related resources
May 18, 2012 2:04:13 PM

nhasian said:
On the contrary, Ubuntu is the most popular linux distribution.

According to distrowatch page hits its not. Mint is.
Score

Best solution

May 18, 2012 4:26:45 PM
May 18, 2012 4:33:42 PM

those are interesting..I use ubuntu but I do not like unity at all..i feel like they have lost a lot of people because of that
Score
May 18, 2012 5:27:33 PM

if you dont like unity do what I did:

Quote:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Score
May 18, 2012 10:03:20 PM

nhasian said:
if you dont like unity do what I did:

Quote:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

That's what I did. I didn't mind Unity so much, I just didn't like how the bar at the top was visible when running MythTV.
Score
May 19, 2012 2:17:14 AM

Ubuntu has been enormously popular. It stole fire (Linux) from the gods (geekoids) and smoothly enabled its administration by casual , but production-minded userland. I believe the usage base is about ten-million.

Recently Ubuntu(Cannnonical) has **participated** in the iPOD frenzy, making several poor technical(political?) choices (ditching Open Office , Evolution, Synaptic and Gnome_2 ) in the version_12 series of the desktop operating system. Many current desktop users truly hope Cannonical will see the error in its ways, repent, say 10 hail-Marys and retrograde to an improved user experience.

Surya_gaur said:
Hello,

Score
May 19, 2012 3:45:58 AM

Ditching OpenOffice is regarded as a good move :p .
Score
May 19, 2012 11:17:44 AM

On political grounds, yes. LibreOffice 3.4 is the same thing, just tweaked on the UI and outside of the potential Oracle evilness. It's built as a fork from the OO source tree but maintains comparability.

Note - I know afg knows this but I've just replied to the other question from nss000 and think this might be where some of his question came from.
Score
May 19, 2012 11:21:03 AM

The other thing to consider here is that Ubuntu needs to make money. They are now trying to take a slice of the iTV market, tablets and other such toys. In much the same way as MS is going lowest common denominator with Win8 the same thing is happening with Cannnonical.

It's the latest paradigm in tech land. Like it or not as users we'll have to ride this wave and see just where we all get washed up.

Score
May 19, 2012 5:19:40 PM

LO above OO?? By whom my dear Ms AFG? Not by unsupported users! I will happily stack all text I have created in OO_3.x against your text stack. May the taller text-stack dominate the decision as is appropriate in useland-centric environs !!

amdfangirl said:
Ditching OpenOffice is regarded as a good move :p .

Score
May 19, 2012 5:30:35 PM

Yes yes the 13-yo chatty female texters able only to conjure 14-words-at-a-time on a 4" screen are currently dominating GUI/app development ... but a few BIG DOGS like IBM and APACHE still have real work to do. I have real work to do, can construct sentences with nested phrases, deploy a 28" monitor and dominate-by-choice my own computing environment. Children get washed about and squinting is not a paradigm, but a perversion! Best stomp on the "puppies" lest they distract!

audiovoodoo said:
The other thing to consider here is that Ubuntu needs to make money. They are now trying to take a slice of the iTV market, tablets and other such toys. In much the same way as MS is going lowest common denominator with Win8 the same thing is happening with Cannnonical.

It's the latest paradigm in tech land. Like it or not as users we'll have to ride this wave and see just where we all get washed up.

Score
May 20, 2012 7:02:52 AM

nss000 said:
LO above OO?? By whom my dear Ms AFG? Not by unsupported users! I will happily stack all text I have created in OO_3.x against your text stack. May the taller text-stack dominate the decision as is appropriate in useland-centric environs !!

Obviously by me.

;) 

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/blog-with-great-co...

Surely it must be an unbiased article, given that it is from LO :p .
Score
May 21, 2012 1:06:44 AM

Fair enough.

**BTW** I have been for years firmly in the AMD camp ... until the recent debacle. I built-out with the 2600, 5400 and most recently the quad-965 ... with a Hanns 28" monitor. As a non-gamr it still appears to be more-than-enough for all my tasks.

But you must know builders have itchy fingers. Best I can see is about a factor-of-three with middling INTEL i7 hardware and I would need to sell body.parts to enter the 6XX-CUDA world. In the middle ground and viewing the most current crop of systems, have you been tempted by any of the new components ?

amdfangirl said:
Obviously by me.

;) 

http://people.gnome.org/~michael/images/2012-04-25-ooo-comparison.png

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/blog-with-great-co...

Surely it must be an unbiased article, given that it is from LO :p .

Score
May 23, 2012 7:23:26 PM

Switch Openoffice to Libreoffice :) 

Ubuntu is not as popular (as distrowatch monitors) but it still has the larger user base. You can get quick and accurate helps and it's older then mint so you have more experienced users at hand.

That being said i use Fedora :p  just pick your flavor their all pretty similar.
Score
June 3, 2012 7:50:28 AM

The drawback IMO is Ubuntu is a commercial re-brand of Debian GNU/Linux "Sid" the same way Mint is a re-branding of Ubuntu. I originally started with Ubuntu back in 2008 but after constant problems with system updates, I finally decided to learn Debian GNU/Linux due to its legendary stability. I have not looked back since then.
Score
June 13, 2012 9:48:04 PM

Tempting stability for even a casual Linux lusr, and giving Canonical a well-deserved eyepoke. But, can said casual lusr really cobble together Debian + mate + Apache OO + Evolution without jumping off a bridge?

Colonel_Panic said:
The drawback IMO is Ubuntu is a commercial re-brand of Debian GNU/Linux "Sid" the same way Mint is a re-branding of Ubuntu. I originally started with Ubuntu back in 2008 but after constant problems with system updates, I finally decided to learn Debian GNU/Linux due to its legendary stability. I have not looked back since then.

Score
June 14, 2012 9:18:16 AM

Apache OO isn't really going anywhere...

LO is releasing 3.6.0 beta already. :) 
Score
June 14, 2012 4:11:27 PM

I honestly don't know. I **do know** how much I dislike critical software being forked-out from under me. With all regards to moderator ... I'd have the bastards flogged!

amdfangirl said:
Apache OO isn't really going anywhere...

LO is releasing 3.6.0 beta already. :) 

Score
June 15, 2012 2:15:36 PM

Open Office is still there and getting updated so I don't see how it's been forked out from under you in any way what so ever. The same developers are still working on the same project.

You want to flog some people because they decided to make a fork and try to do it better?? Strange stance to take considering the GPL licence alows Oracle to take the work done in the fork and bring it back into the mainline. You use Ubuntu which is itself a fork of Debian... I just can't understand your issue.
Score
June 16, 2012 5:30:26 PM

My issue is straight-for'ard. Canonical has followed the Libre-Office fork. Should I update to U_12.04LTS from U_10.04LTS I may not carry-over my current wood-processor. This is a **VERY BIG DEAL** to me.

Actually ... considering non_incremental changes ... both my GUI (Gnome-2.xx) & my email function EVOLUTION gets hosed also. Are those unacceptable-to-me changes too obscure for you to follow? Why? For production systems the rule is simple: change is bad .. all change is all bad. Comprende?
Score
June 16, 2012 5:44:00 PM

nss000,

so even if OpenOffice is no longer the default program in Ubuntu, you can always install it yourself quite easily. same with evolution.

also on and upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 does it actually remove openoffice and evolution?
Score
June 17, 2012 1:47:43 AM

nss000 said:
My issue is straight-for'ard. Canonical has followed the Libre-Office fork. Should I update to U_12.04LTS from U_10.04LTS I may not carry-over my current wood-processor. This is a **VERY BIG DEAL** to me.

sudo apt-get install openoffice

Now if you run the upgrade you'll find that they leave your existing OO install in place and give install LO alongside it. Compare this to MS who when upgrading their versions of Word and Excel deliberately broke backwards compatibility with old file formats.

nss000 said:

Actually ... considering non_incremental changes ... both my GUI (Gnome-2.xx) & my email function EVOLUTION gets hosed also. Are those unacceptable-to-me changes too obscure for you to follow? Why? For production systems the rule is simple: change is bad .. all change is all bad. Comprende?

Gnome is a bit of problem regardless of the distro, whichever one you had chosen over the last two years you would have had to make a change. You could have stuck with Debian or Redhat and a more mature GUI that has not undergone such changes, but then you decided to use an OS that marketed itself on being more bleeding edge than Debian to bring new feature to users. You want super stable and lengthy support with backports? Perhaps it's time to talk to RedHat.

I've worked in software development teams doing QA, I've also supported some very large scale production systems. The change is bad mantra is BS. What's bad is using non open standards and not accepting that you need to evolve your system on a constant basis rather than the two to ten year cycle so many companies seem to use. I'll cite the example of a client I had in my last job that were still using IE6 - They wanted new features in our product but were not prepared to change their IE version because it's production and change is bad... The IT function bang the no change drum, the business demands change on a near daily basis.
Score
June 17, 2012 2:05:59 AM

Anyway, we've gone waaaaay off topic.
Score
June 17, 2012 2:06:41 AM

Best answer selected by amdfangirl.
Score
!