Please help me buy the components for a good gaming PC

Hi all you experts. (This is a great forum)

Would like to build a good gaming computer but do not know which parts to buy.

I would appreciate a list with all part needed.

I am 75 yrs of age and did build some computers about 17 yrs ago. Now they are much more complex. So many boards, processesors, memory, power supply's, cases etc to choose from.

I would like to run FSX at full settings. I think I will be able to save about $1000.00 if I build it myself.

Many thanks for any input

Regards,

Bill
10 answers Last reply
More about please components good gaming
  1. what is your buget and will you be bringing anything from the previous systems you have owned
  2. Have about $2000.00 to spend.

Will bring nothing from other PC. Have only a couple of laptops
  3. Quote:
    Have about $2000.00 to spend.

Will bring nothing from other PC. Have only a couple of laptops

$2000 can build you a good gaming system as long as your smart about it. I would suggest getting an 8800 GTX as graphics card, and if you can wait until July, you can get a good high end possessor. You'll be well off with 2GB of ram will be good for gaming for a good while. Do you want to over clock, or don't want to worry about it.
  4. ok
    cpu: ok i would go with a q6600 about $530 here
    graphics card: most important for gaming a 8800 gtx $550 here
    mobo: a fairly cheap 680i sli from EVGA $160 here
    psu: 600w forton $115 here
    ram: 4gb g.skill ddr2 800 $225 here
    hard drive: 320gb WD $75 here
    dvd drive: sony $30 here
    case: here's a case, these are really just personal opinion, $50 here
    moniter: 22in Acer $260 here
    speakers: logitec 2.1 surround $40 here
    keyboard: liteon cheap keyboard $6.50 here
    mouse: cheap logitec laser mouse $20 here
    os: if you dont already have one xp home -retail $190 here

thats about it if you want to oc ill make some changes all told wit the operating system it is $2250 but there are $90 in mail in rebates
  5. 75 man? Congratualtions dude. Never seen someone that age still attached to the gaming scene. Good to see some wise ones on this forum.

Anyways, I too am looking to spend about 2000 on a computer in the future, here is the one I composed:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=5281706

Their are about 135-140 bucks in rebates, maybe a little more not factored into the final price.

Good luck. :D
  6. He can probably save a bit of cash by getting only 2 GB of RAM. I think that's the limit for XP Home anyway, and he'd need XP Pro for 4 GB. I may be wrong on that though.

How about a cheaper mobo without SLI support? Again not sure, because FSX is very demanding and the OP may want to add a second card later.
  7. ya you could save some money with a cheaper mother board if you like this650i one i couldn't find a decently priced xp pro retail like $280, oem is $140 and a hassle to install
  8. I did not expect so fast a response. Yes, you guys are great! Will spend some time on checking all your responses and then will decide on the system to be built.

I might be 75 years old but I am young at heart. Still love computer games. Might not be as good as you guys, but I still enjoy it as much.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Bill
  9. Quote:
    ok
    cpu: ok i would go with a q6600 about $530 here

If he can wait until july, then he can get that same chip for about $266 which should make up for the $250 over $2,000 easily.
  10. Do you guys happen to know if Flight Simulator uses quad-cores effectively? If yes, then I'd pick a Q6600 for $266 after July 22. If not, maybe E6850 is better (same date, same price).
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Build Components Systems Product