Compressed Win7 SSD and Boot manager issue.

Hello,
I have a 120GB SSD and various HDDs in my tower. It is a dual boot with windows on the SSD and Linux on one of the hard drives. My C drive in windows was becoming full, so I decided to use NTFS compression on the drive to save room. It is just program files and windows installation, so it saved quite a bit of space. I never thought how that would affect the GRUB (?) boot menu used to select between Ubuntu and Win7. On boot, I can boot into Ubuntu just fine, but When I try to boot into windows, it returns the screen "Boot drive is compressed. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot." Upon that, it reboots to GRUB, and does the same thing when selecting windows.
Have I essentially wiped my windows beyond usability? There isn't much in Ubuntu, so I can erase that and the grub, if it will bring windows back.
It is on an SSD, so I am not losing any of my documents or music or anything. just program files and such, but it is a massive pain. Anything I can do?
2 answers Last reply
More about compressed win7 boot manager issue
  1. Yes. when you compressed the drive you likely also compressed the boot sector. You can fix this by boot from your Windows 7 DVD and select Repair your Computer -> Startup Repair.

or in ubuntu try boot repair: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
  2. Great thanks. I never thought of using the Win7 DVD. Previously I have never had an issue that was fixed by a Windows "repair" tool.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Boot