Unity 2D To Go Away In Ubuntu 12.10

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Sir:

Correct my error please if I mis-read the Phoronix article. My impression was that Cannonical had dismissed the v.12.04 UNITY GUI ansatz for future Ubuntu releases. Instead, will UNITY 2-D be maintained ... or was it not really the primary "face" of v.12.04-LTS?

As for XFCE , a brief review of various website correspondence teaches that non-default GUIs are **never** trival and sometimes impossible for a casual user to incorporate into workflow. If Cannonical in not able to construct a **butter-slick** , stable GUI then a prudent user will look elsewhere for a Linux computing solution.

Unity 2D is for people that dont have the hardware to run the full unity interface which requires OpenGL. Cannonical will continue using their Unity 3D interface as their standard UI. I believe Unity first came out with Ubuntu 11.10. A lot of people were upset at the change and the loss of the standard start button type interface (both in the Linux world as well as the MS world). that made Linux Mint derivative of Ubuntu very popular was they continued using a traditional gui which is now called Cinnamon

I've found both Unity and Gnome Shell very easy to use. personally i use Gnome Shell with Fedora. I'm excited at the news of where Ubuntu is going with TV and Cell phones.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Thanks for clearing up that Ubuntu option issue .... 2-D vs 3-D .