XRDP/X11RDP on Ubuntu 12.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Does anyone here use xrdp or x11rdp?

I used to use vnc server and vnc viewer to connect to my ubuntu server and switched to xrdp so I could use it from Windows without any additional programs. When I upgraded to 12.04, xrdp stopped working. I had used the Scary Gliders tutorial and it worked initially, but no longer does. I tried using the updated tutorial it mentions also and that does not seem to work. Even after purging and re-installing xrdp and x11rdp, it is not working.

All I'm getting now is a gray screen(kind of pixeled looking) with an X for a cursor and no interaction is possible with the server. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

by any chance are you using proprietary video drivers or open source drivers? I know a few releases back the remote desktop wasnt working properly with nvidia restricted drivers. Also in addition to remote desktop you might want to look into X11 Forwarding using SSH. I find it is a lot faster.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I'm not using proprietary drivers, I just have the default ones installed. Also, it's an onboard ATI video card.

I may look into the forwarding too, but I also want to fix this because it's frustrating that it worked in 11.10 and stopped working now in 12.04.

so just to confirm it works fine if you use vnc but doesnt work when you use xrdp? is this a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 or an upgrade? if its an upgrade from a previous version are you able to test a fresh install? did you build xrdp from git and X11rdp from SVN??

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I used vnc in 11.10. I then started using xrdp in 11.10. I upgraded to 12.04, not a fresh install. And I followed both tutorials from Scary Gliders. One of which was to grab from GIT, the other was just the package. Neither seems to be working. I'll try making a VM and put a fresh install and see if that gets me anything. Maybe I'll even try the other drivers, lol.

Thanks!

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions and everything.

I'm still unable to get x11rdp working with Unity, but i installed gnome fallback and created my .xsession file and it now seems to work with gnome fallback.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Not sure why Unity is completely broken with it, but at least I can RDP into it now. Thanks again guys.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
And not that I'm complaining, but it magically just started working with Unity when i made my .xsession file say

"gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d".

I did do one additional thing though, in case this will help anyone else trying to do this. Open up /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh with a text editor. Change the line that says:

. /etc/X11/Xsession

to

. /home/<user>/.xsession

I hope this helps anyone else that had this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.