Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XRDP/X11RDP on Ubuntu 12.04

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 9, 2012 10:51:50 PM

Does anyone here use xrdp or x11rdp?

I used to use vnc server and vnc viewer to connect to my ubuntu server and switched to xrdp so I could use it from Windows without any additional programs. When I upgraded to 12.04, xrdp stopped working. I had used the Scary Gliders tutorial and it worked initially, but no longer does. I tried using the updated tutorial it mentions also and that does not seem to work. Even after purging and re-installing xrdp and x11rdp, it is not working.

All I'm getting now is a gray screen(kind of pixeled looking) with an X for a cursor and no interaction is possible with the server. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

More about : xrdp x11rdp ubuntu

May 10, 2012 1:51:35 AM

by any chance are you using proprietary video drivers or open source drivers? I know a few releases back the remote desktop wasnt working properly with nvidia restricted drivers. Also in addition to remote desktop you might want to look into X11 Forwarding using SSH. I find it is a lot faster.
Score
May 10, 2012 2:29:18 AM

I'm not using proprietary drivers, I just have the default ones installed. Also, it's an onboard ATI video card.

I may look into the forwarding too, but I also want to fix this because it's frustrating that it worked in 11.10 and stopped working now in 12.04.
Score
Related resources
May 10, 2012 5:27:29 AM

so just to confirm it works fine if you use vnc but doesnt work when you use xrdp? is this a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 or an upgrade? if its an upgrade from a previous version are you able to test a fresh install? did you build xrdp from git and X11rdp from SVN??
Score
May 10, 2012 10:31:27 PM

Would be funny if the prop drivers work :p 

You could try. :D 
Score
May 12, 2012 1:55:38 AM

I used vnc in 11.10. I then started using xrdp in 11.10. I upgraded to 12.04, not a fresh install. And I followed both tutorials from Scary Gliders. One of which was to grab from GIT, the other was just the package. Neither seems to be working. I'll try making a VM and put a fresh install and see if that gets me anything. Maybe I'll even try the other drivers, lol.

Thanks!
Score
May 14, 2012 2:47:46 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions and everything.

I'm still unable to get x11rdp working with Unity, but i installed gnome fallback and created my .xsession file and it now seems to work with gnome fallback.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Not sure why Unity is completely broken with it, but at least I can RDP into it now. Thanks again guys.
Score
May 14, 2012 2:57:45 AM

And not that I'm complaining, but it magically just started working with Unity when i made my .xsession file say

"gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d".

I did do one additional thing though, in case this will help anyone else trying to do this. Open up /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh with a text editor. Change the line that says:

. /etc/X11/Xsession

to

. /home/<user>/.xsession

I hope this helps anyone else that had this problem.
Score

Best solution

May 14, 2012 11:59:25 PM

I'm glad you were able to resolve your problem with the xrdp. I found this article on forwarding X with windows that you would also benefit from:

http://courses.cms.caltech.edu/cs11/misc/xwindows.html
May 15, 2012 10:46:35 PM

Thanks. I set that up as well. It's always nice to have more options when working on something remotely.
Score
May 15, 2012 10:46:41 PM

Best answer selected by arrghushakaboorga.
Score
May 16, 2012 2:11:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Amdfangirl
Score
!