Sandisk WiFi+256 card using WPA-PSK

August 21, 2005 12:54:50 PM

Hello:

(I've searched and searched for an answer here, if I missed a post with
a solution, kinldy point me to it)

I'm running pocketpc 2003 using a Sandisk WiFi + 256mb sd card. I have
a wireless network using WPA-PSK on a Cisco 1120 access point. I CAN
connect to the access point if no profile is setup. A message appears
that an access point is found and I'm prompted for the network key,
which I enter using ASCII, not hex.

I don't want to have to type the key every time I connect though, so I
need to use a profile to connect using the Sandisk utility. I've setup
the profile, but when I get to the authentication tab and enter the
network key (in ascii) it complains that it's not a valid hex key. I
tried converting the ascii key to hex using
http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/ (which puts % signs which I
removed), but that doesn't seem to allow me to connect.

That converter maked "Hello12345" to 48656c6c6f31323335. Does this look
right?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:07:13 PM

With WPA you should be able to use straight ASCII and not have to use Hex. I
use a 63-character totally random ASCII WPA-PSK (TKIP) key on my iPAQ 5555
with a Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless access point/router.

http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

I simply create the key, copy it to a .txt file and move the file to my
iPAQ. Then I can open the file and cut-n-paste the key into the wireless
properties. I delete the file from my iPAQ when finished as a security
precaution. The same with my Buffalo. I just copy the key into my desktop
clipboard then paste the key into the Buffalo key configuration window...

Does the Sandisk card support WPA-PSK?

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

<nntp.post@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> (I've searched and searched for an answer here, if I missed a post with
> a solution, kinldy point me to it)
>
> I'm running pocketpc 2003 using a Sandisk WiFi + 256mb sd card. I have
> a wireless network using WPA-PSK on a Cisco 1120 access point. I CAN
> connect to the access point if no profile is setup. A message appears
> that an access point is found and I'm prompted for the network key,
> which I enter using ASCII, not hex.
>
> I don't want to have to type the key every time I connect though, so I
> need to use a profile to connect using the Sandisk utility. I've setup
> the profile, but when I get to the authentication tab and enter the
> network key (in ascii) it complains that it's not a valid hex key. I
> tried converting the ascii key to hex using
> http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/ (which puts % signs which I
> removed), but that doesn't seem to allow me to connect.
>
> That converter maked "Hello12345" to 48656c6c6f31323335. Does this look
> right?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:20:39 PM

<nntp.post@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
>
> (I've searched and searched for an answer here, if I missed a post with
> a solution, kinldy point me to it)
>
> I'm running pocketpc 2003 using a Sandisk WiFi + 256mb sd card. I have
> a wireless network using WPA-PSK on a Cisco 1120 access point. I CAN
> connect to the access point if no profile is setup. A message appears
> that an access point is found and I'm prompted for the network key,
> which I enter using ASCII, not hex.
>
> I don't want to have to type the key every time I connect though, so I
> need to use a profile to connect using the Sandisk utility. I've setup
> the profile, but when I get to the authentication tab and enter the
> network key (in ascii) it complains that it's not a valid hex key. I
> tried converting the ascii key to hex using
> http://centricle.com/tools/ascii-hex/ (which puts % signs which I
> removed), but that doesn't seem to allow me to connect.
>
> That converter maked "Hello12345" to 48656c6c6f31323335. Does this look
> right?

Hello12345 = 48656c6c6f3132333435

--
John Blessing