Got a new computer!

Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.

I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
find anything which looks remotely like a format command.

So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
disk in the drive, or how do you format it?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
9 answers Last reply
More about computer

    DVD-Rom's are not burners they only allow you to view DVD's.
    In order to burn cd's you will need a CD-RW to burn cd's or a DVD-RW to burn
    DVD's.

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

    Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.

    I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    find anything which looks remotely like a format command.

    So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    disk in the drive, or how do you format it?

    --
    alan

    reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

    Windows XP does not natively support DVD writing. If your computer has a
    DVD burner (and not a DVD-ROM CD-RW combo), then there is software that will
    burn to DVD. I would suggest you refer to the Owners Manual that came with
    the computer. Despite other answers that you have received, a CD-RW drive
    will not burn a DVD-RW disk.

    Bobby

    "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    > disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >
    > I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    > find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >
    > So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    > disk in the drive, or how do you format it?
    >
    > --
    > alan
    >
    > reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

    To amplifiy on the last response: The "owners manual" may be on a CD, on
    the hard drive, exist only as a help file within the DVD-writing software,
    or in the rarest of cases be on paper.

    "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    > disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >
    > I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    > find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >
    > So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    > disk in the drive, or how do you format it?
    >
    > --
    > alan
    >
    > reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

    "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    > disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >
    > I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    > find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >
    > So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    > disk in the drive, or how do you format it?

    WinXP only comes with S/W for writing CDR or CDRW not DVDs. You are probably
    getting this error because it's looking for a writable CD. Most DVD writers
    come bundled with programs to write DVDs or both CD and DVD..

    What programs came with your PC?

    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > DVD-Rom's are not burners they only allow you to view DVD's.
    > In order to burn cd's you will need a CD-RW to burn cd's or a DVD-RW to
    > burn
    > DVD's.

    It is supposed to be a burner.

    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >
    > Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    > disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >
    > I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    > find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >
    > So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    > disk in the drive, or how do you format it?
    >
    > --
    > alan
    >
    > reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

    Look in the Device Manager under the Rom Drives and it will list the CD-Roms
    and if they are RW's.
    Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware tab>Device Manager

    --

    "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    > DVD-Rom's are not burners they only allow you to view DVD's.
    > In order to burn cd's you will need a CD-RW to burn cd's or a DVD-RW to
    > burn
    > DVD's.

    It is supposed to be a burner.

    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >
    > Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    > disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >
    > I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    > find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >
    > So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    > disk in the drive, or how do you format it?
    >
    > --
    > alan
    >
    > reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

    And once again, for the benfit of the OP, if the disks are CD-RW drives, it
    has nothing to do with burning DVDs. A CD-RW drive cannot born to any form
    of DVD. To burn to DVD, one needs a DVD burner.

    To clarify:

    A DVD-CD-R/W drive can READ DVD discs, and can read CD Discs and can write
    to CD-R and CD-RW discs.

    A DVD-R/W drive can read DVD discs, CD discs, and can write to DVD-R, DVD-RW
    and CDr and CD-RW discs.

    A DVD+R/W drive can read DVD discs, CD discs, and can write to DVD+R, DVD+RW
    and CDr and CD-RW discs.

    A DVD+/-R/W drive can read DVD discs, CD discs, and can write to DVD-R,
    DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and CDr and CD-RW discs.

    River_Rat seems to be under the impression that a CD-R/RW drive can write to
    DVD discs, which is completely wrong.

    Bobby

    > Look in the Device Manager under the Rom Drives and it will list the
    > CD-Roms
    > and if they are RW's.
    > Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware tab>Device Manager
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >
    > "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
    >> DVD-Rom's are not burners they only allow you to view DVD's.
    >> In order to burn cd's you will need a CD-RW to burn cd's or a DVD-RW to
    >> burn
    >> DVD's.
    >
    > It is supposed to be a burner.
    >

    >> --
    >> Good Day
    >> River Rat
    >>

    >> "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    >> disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >>
    >> I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    >> find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >>
    >> So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    >> disk in the drive, or how do you format it?
    >>
    >> --
    >> alan
    >>
    >> reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

    Did you put a "Dik" in the drive to see it it would get written on?

    "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    > disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >
    > I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    > find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >
    > So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    > disk in the drive, or how do you format it?
    >
    > --
    > alan
    >
    > reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

    what software are you using to write files to dvd? are you sure it's a DVD
    Burner, not just a DVD-ROM?

    "Alan Holmes" <alan.holmes@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > Which has a dvd drive, I'm trying to write some files to the DVD
    > disk but the machine keeps telling me there's no dik in drive.
    >
    > I had wondered if it needed formating but, try as I might I cannot
    > find anything which looks remotely like a format command.
    >
    > So, how the hell, do you either persuade the machine there is a
    > disk in the drive, or how do you format it?
    >
    > --
    > alan
    >
    > reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Windows XP