Anyone even care about am2+ anymore?

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I read post after post about x4,x2, and barcelona,for awhile i was pretty excited, then may 14th came, no benchmarks for k10m fom tunisia, and a medicre hd 2900. I dont really care anymore, it like amd is the boy crying wolf. I am excited about a $266 quad though, but amd is kinda shitting on their loyal supporters.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
AMD has gone from the days of being top dog back to being the value alternative. I'm sure that they'll come up with something in the next couple of years that further sets them apart from Intel. As they will need to once Intel fully integrates integrated memory controllers into their chips, AMD will have lost the one area where they reign supreme over Intel's processors.

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
am2 is a joke. If I baught a platform back then, i'd be choosing 939. But i am so in love with my c2d e6600... went from amd 3200 xp to c2d e6600 and loving every frag. I'm no fanboy, they both are equally(less so as of this moment) nice in their own respects. as for ati vs nvidia, well i think nvidia is spanking, if not just performance, also in the driver arena too.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
AM what?

Seriously, AMD needs to get it's act together. We'll have to wait and see just how well their C2D killer will perform.

The vague and NDS spattered information policy of AMD says it all.

If they keep lowering power consumption and keep performance at the current level they might turn into a power competitor for... eh... VIA. :?

g13man

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I Do Not Care ,they messed up by starting that pin out. They should have improved the 939 pin out. DDR2 is not all that..

Lots of people will care about AM2+ as it is AMD's new socket (tweak) for a while, as long as AMD doesn't become price-uncompetitive. People still cared about and bought LGA775 parts even in The Bad Old Days when the Prescotts, Smithfields, and Preslers were the only things that went in them. The only people who did not care about LGA775 were the top-dollar enthusiasts who all had Socket 939 AMD systems and were following the rise of the FX series like they now follow the Intel X and QX series. The top-dollar enthusiasts are a MINISCULE portion of the market. The two companies sell many times more low-end chips than top-bin ones and thus the top-dollar enthusiast market is really irrelevant to them. The only reason that either of them throw a bone to them is for bragging rights to the general public. If AMD released a $10,000 10h chip that beat anything that Intel had but sold nothing else but old K8s, they could brag that they have the fastest CPU even though their line as a whole is slower.

The Dells, HPs, and Joe Sixpack whitebox builders are the people who really matter to the CPU makers, not 15-year-old 1337 h4x0rs with Daddy's credit card.

RichPLS

Champion
AMD's new marketing brainstorming...

Good Enough for goobermint work...

Who needs more performance anywhoo?

Hey, We may compute slower, but we use less power than faster current 65nm Intel CPU's... plus we use True Native Quad Core (No Glued CPU's 4 AMD to come unglued) Let's see intel claim that, :roll: :lol:

AMD buyers are statistically smarter than Intel buyers, buy smart, buy AMD!

AMD is sicker than Intel!

AMD is not profit driven, instead we are rumor oriented for our clients egos...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I really wish I could say that I do truly care but anymore not so much. Hard to care about something that is starting to seem like will never happen. My faith in AMD to deliver is gone. The boy crying wolf analogy fits when AMD is concerned.

Except AMD is a company going head to head with the largest semi manuf. A daunting task before you get Dell.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
AMD's new marketing brainstorming...

Good Enough for goobermint work...

Who needs more performance anywhoo?

Hey, We may compute slower, but we use less power than faster current 65nm Intel CPU's... plus we use True Native Quad Core (No Glued CPU's 4 AMD to come unglued) Let's see intel claim that, :roll: :lol:

AMD buyers are statistically smarter than Intel buyers, buy smart, buy AMD!

AMD is sicker than Intel!

AMD is not profit driven, instead we are rumor oriented for our clients egos...

Is this sarcasm or are you just happy to have a choice?

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
I was going to say the same thing, whatever happen to I WILL HAVE A QFX? lol.
On a side note, Baron does seen more calm these days.
P.S. AMD is not going againts a semi company, there going againts the only competitor they have.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
F it, I'd be excited if an AM2+ mobo & CPU came my way. Pretty much anything would be better than my PD820. Yeah, the thing kept me warm through the winter months, but as summer is approaching this thing is becoming inappropriate. I'm either going to have to down-clock it or turn it off so it's not competing against my air conditioner.

Oh, and I am hoping that those AM2+ chips will fit into my AM2 media centre. It'll be looking for an upgrade in a couple years, by which time the AM2+'s will be getting very affordable. Nehalem should slay them. Who's up for a $70 Phenom x4?

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I very much like AM2

At certain price price points AMD still offers the best overall value.

An Athlon 5600+ is within a 1 or 2% a dead heat with an Intel E6420, and, at least in Canada, when matched up with a suitable motherboard is usually about $50 or so cheaper than a E6420 + 965 chipset motherboard.

For "mom and pop" who want a decent, upper midrange machine this is a great combination.

Once you get to the E6600 or better, Yes, Intel is top dog.

If you overclock you are just about insane to buy an AMD chip. (Unless it's a $75 x2 3600, which is decent value for what it is)

The Chevy Corvette will DESTROY any Hyundai in any test of speed.

But most of us can't afford a Corvette, and a $13000 Hyundai is a better car than a $13000 Chevy.

Hector is (apparently) an idiot, but AMD as a whole is certainly not. A number of their products remainly fully competative on a price/performance basis.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Well, it will be hard to care in the future if that benchmark was really what it was supposed to be, however, for AMD's health, I still really hope that the K10 will really shine, because they need another round on top, this time with a partner like Dell, to absorb some healthy part of Intel zombie-clients. These stupid people have to be shown that AMD is not the second option, 10 empty rows behind Intel.
AM2 on the other side is not bad, not bad at all in price/performance up to average levels, and that's pretty much more than 90% of buyers really need but what to say; Intel was in this position up to 1 year ago and was making lots of money while now we start to worry about AMD's health. It's a real sin that these zombies consider AM2 not as another option, but rather as another level; they see Intel and AMD like they saw cars and bikes.