Sign in with
Your question

Anyone even care about am2+ anymore?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 24, 2007 1:32:03 AM

I read post after post about x4,x2, and barcelona,for awhile i was pretty excited, then may 14th came, no benchmarks for k10m fom tunisia, and a medicre hd 2900. I dont really care anymore, it like amd is the boy crying wolf. I am excited about a $266 quad though, but amd is kinda shitting on their loyal supporters.

More about : care am2 anymore

May 24, 2007 1:36:37 AM

Everybody except Intel cares about AMD and am2. The price slash for 266$ quad core is heavily depended by the existence of AMD.
May 24, 2007 1:38:33 AM

AMD has gone from the days of being top dog back to being the value alternative. I'm sure that they'll come up with something in the next couple of years that further sets them apart from Intel. As they will need to once Intel fully integrates integrated memory controllers into their chips, AMD will have lost the one area where they reign supreme over Intel's processors.
Related resources
May 24, 2007 1:47:33 AM

Yes, I do as I will probably end up with a 2.3GHz Phenom X4.
May 24, 2007 2:06:22 AM

Unless it megatasks like the 4x4... :twisted:
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
May 24, 2007 2:08:12 AM

AM what?

Seriously, AMD needs to get it's act together. We'll have to wait and see just how well their C2D killer will perform.
May 24, 2007 2:10:35 AM

It will be interesting, I kinda wish i could sale my x2 4200 so i could buy a 650i board, that way i would becovered either way.
May 24, 2007 2:18:21 AM

am2 is a joke. If I baught a platform back then, i'd be choosing 939. But i am so in love with my c2d e6600... went from amd 3200 xp to c2d e6600 and loving every frag. I'm no fanboy, they both are equally(less so as of this moment) nice in their own respects. as for ati vs nvidia, well i think nvidia is spanking, if not just performance, also in the driver arena too.
May 24, 2007 2:19:43 AM

Quote:
AM what?

Seriously, AMD needs to get it's act together. We'll have to wait and see just how well their C2D killer will perform.

The vague and NDS spattered information policy of AMD says it all.

If they keep lowering power consumption and keep performance at the current level they might turn into a power competitor for... eh... VIA. :?
May 24, 2007 2:22:29 AM

Quote:

Let's just hope not the same as it's G80 killer....
May 24, 2007 2:24:43 AM

You bet. AMD finally got of its arse and priced the things competatively, but very, very late.
May 24, 2007 2:40:33 AM

I Do Not Care ,they messed up by starting that pin out. They should have improved the 939 pin out. DDR2 is not all that..
a c 99 à CPUs
May 24, 2007 2:43:01 AM

Lots of people will care about AM2+ as it is AMD's new socket (tweak) for a while, as long as AMD doesn't become price-uncompetitive. People still cared about and bought LGA775 parts even in The Bad Old Days when the Prescotts, Smithfields, and Preslers were the only things that went in them. The only people who did not care about LGA775 were the top-dollar enthusiasts who all had Socket 939 AMD systems and were following the rise of the FX series like they now follow the Intel X and QX series. The top-dollar enthusiasts are a MINISCULE portion of the market. The two companies sell many times more low-end chips than top-bin ones and thus the top-dollar enthusiast market is really irrelevant to them. The only reason that either of them throw a bone to them is for bragging rights to the general public. If AMD released a $10,000 10h chip that beat anything that Intel had but sold nothing else but old K8s, they could brag that they have the fastest CPU even though their line as a whole is slower.

The Dells, HPs, and Joe Sixpack whitebox builders are the people who really matter to the CPU makers, not 15-year-old 1337 h4x0rs with Daddy's credit card.
May 24, 2007 2:51:20 AM

AMD's new marketing brainstorming...

Good Enough for goobermint work...

Who needs more performance anywhoo?

Hey, We may compute slower, but we use less power than faster current 65nm Intel CPU's... plus we use True Native Quad Core (No Glued CPU's 4 AMD to come unglued) Let's see intel claim that, :roll: :lol: 

AMD buyers are statistically smarter than Intel buyers, buy smart, buy AMD!

AMD is sicker than Intel!

AMD is not profit driven, instead we are rumor oriented for our clients egos...
May 24, 2007 3:04:36 AM

Quote:
I Do Not Care ,they messed up by starting that pin out. They should have improved the 939 pin out. DDR2 is not all that..
Word!
May 24, 2007 3:08:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do as I will probably end up with a 2.3GHz Phenom X4.

What, no FSN8 ... is it because it does not support > 4 Gigs??

No, it's because you don't.
:oops: 
May 24, 2007 3:09:40 AM

Quote:
I really wish I could say that I do truly care but anymore not so much. Hard to care about something that is starting to seem like will never happen. My faith in AMD to deliver is gone. The boy crying wolf analogy fits when AMD is concerned.

Except AMD is a company going head to head with the largest semi manuf. A daunting task before you get Dell.
May 24, 2007 3:11:17 AM

Quote:
AMD's new marketing brainstorming...

Good Enough for goobermint work...

Who needs more performance anywhoo?

Hey, We may compute slower, but we use less power than faster current 65nm Intel CPU's... plus we use True Native Quad Core (No Glued CPU's 4 AMD to come unglued) Let's see intel claim that, :roll: :lol: 

AMD buyers are statistically smarter than Intel buyers, buy smart, buy AMD!

AMD is sicker than Intel!

AMD is not profit driven, instead we are rumor oriented for our clients egos...

Is this sarcasm or are you just happy to have a choice?
May 24, 2007 3:26:26 AM

I care, because it is closely related to my upgrade path... and I hope it will stay compatible with am2...
May 24, 2007 3:27:05 AM

I was going to say the same thing, whatever happen to I WILL HAVE A QFX? lol.
On a side note, Baron does seen more calm these days.
P.S. AMD is not going againts a semi company, there going againts the only competitor they have.
May 24, 2007 5:20:52 AM

F it, I'd be excited if an AM2+ mobo & CPU came my way. Pretty much anything would be better than my PD820. Yeah, the thing kept me warm through the winter months, but as summer is approaching this thing is becoming inappropriate. I'm either going to have to down-clock it or turn it off so it's not competing against my air conditioner.

Oh, and I am hoping that those AM2+ chips will fit into my AM2 media centre. It'll be looking for an upgrade in a couple years, by which time the AM2+'s will be getting very affordable. Nehalem should slay them. Who's up for a $70 Phenom x4?
May 24, 2007 5:51:31 AM

I care really i do... :p 
May 24, 2007 7:14:00 AM

I very much like AM2

At certain price price points AMD still offers the best overall value.

An Athlon 5600+ is within a 1 or 2% a dead heat with an Intel E6420, and, at least in Canada, when matched up with a suitable motherboard is usually about $50 or so cheaper than a E6420 + 965 chipset motherboard.

For "mom and pop" who want a decent, upper midrange machine this is a great combination.

Once you get to the E6600 or better, Yes, Intel is top dog.

If you overclock you are just about insane to buy an AMD chip. (Unless it's a $75 x2 3600, which is decent value for what it is)

The Chevy Corvette will DESTROY any Hyundai in any test of speed.

But most of us can't afford a Corvette, and a $13000 Hyundai is a better car than a $13000 Chevy.

Hector is (apparently) an idiot, but AMD as a whole is certainly not. A number of their products remainly fully competative on a price/performance basis.
May 24, 2007 7:23:54 AM

Well, it will be hard to care in the future if that benchmark was really what it was supposed to be, however, for AMD's health, I still really hope that the K10 will really shine, because they need another round on top, this time with a partner like Dell, to absorb some healthy part of Intel zombie-clients. These stupid people have to be shown that AMD is not the second option, 10 empty rows behind Intel.
AM2 on the other side is not bad, not bad at all in price/performance up to average levels, and that's pretty much more than 90% of buyers really need but what to say; Intel was in this position up to 1 year ago and was making lots of money while now we start to worry about AMD's health. It's a real sin that these zombies consider AM2 not as another option, but rather as another level; they see Intel and AMD like they saw cars and bikes.
May 24, 2007 8:46:57 AM

Fasn Ur ()o() Phenom gonna blow Ur 8O out
May 24, 2007 10:06:33 AM

I don't care about anything related to AMD while they have nothing interesting and worth for me.
I will care about AM2+ when AMD will offer me a CPU that will cost less, and OC-ed will run cooler and will outperform my undervolted(1.28v) and overclocked E6420 @3.2GHz.
a c 99 à CPUs
May 24, 2007 2:14:44 PM

Quote:
Word!

The integrated memory controller *forced* a new socket and pinout on AMD in going from DDR to DDR2 as the pin configurations of DDR and DDR2 differ. Socket 939's 128-bit DDR IMC took 368 pins while AM2's 128-bit DDR2 IMC takes 480 pins. AMD could have used the same physical package (socket) for the DDR and DDR2 chips, but that would have been ridiculous because a DDR 939 chip would refuse to work in a DDR2 board and vice-versa. AMD did the right thing in switching to a new, physically-incompatible socket because there are no questions about whether a chip will work in a board- if it fits, it runs.

The only way that AMD could have kept 939 alive was to not switch from DDR. Two channels of DDR-400 may not have been enough for the fastest chips (2.8, 3.0+ GHz.) DDR-500 or faster would have solved the problem, but those were not JEDEC ratified and would thus not be widely used. Also, AMD new that it had quad-core chips in the pipeline and those certainly do need the massively improved bandwidth that DDR2 provides. AMD might have skipped DDR2 and gone straight from DDR to DDR3, but DDR3 is very, very immature and expensive right now and wouldn't have hit the right performance/price targets for some time yet. AMD wanted to get compatible AM2 boards out there and also have time to get the IMCs working well before putting them all into a new-arch chip. AMD might have made a few chronic upgraders unhappy that they'd have to get a new board and RAM to go from 939 -> DDR2, but that's a small tradeoff in order to get their newer-technology bits out there and working. Plus, very, very few people upgrade more frequently than every couple of years and at that point, you'd have to upgrade everything anyway.
a c 99 à CPUs
May 24, 2007 3:32:25 PM

DDR2 and DDR3 both have 240 pins per module, while DDR has 184 pins per module.
May 24, 2007 3:39:41 PM

Yeah, I reckon plenty care. While AM2 owners can feel comfortable about a cost-efficient upgrade later this year (and whenever they want thru 2009, with new introductions, and can even skip AM2+ to AM3), for many of those of us with 939s (mine is 2 yrs old), AM2+ is a likely stop along the way.
May 24, 2007 3:39:53 PM

I did take notice that even though its 240 pins, the knotch or slot is in a different position. So I guess MB without that knotch, the module won't fit them.

Intel P35 Chipset: DDR2 Versus DDR3 Memory

Just adding info :D 
May 24, 2007 6:00:29 PM

Quote:
I don't care about anything related to AMD while they have nothing interesting and worth for me.
I will care about AM2+ when AMD will offer me a CPU that will cost less, and OC-ed will run cooler and will outperform my undervolted(1.28v) and overclocked E6420 @3.2GHz.

Now don't be too picky about everything; If it outperformed a Core2, stock or OCed, I wouldn't care if it overclocked that much or if it run a bit hotter :wink:
May 24, 2007 10:28:48 PM

Quote:
Word!

should have said "they should have improved their performance of the 939 pinout.... and they do have some x2's for the 939..."

intel has quads amd does not
ddr3 is used on vid cards

bang for buck amd caulda sold more chips on the upgrade path.. now we wait..or go to intel because thier platform is stable.. remember the athlon days? 800 mhz thru 3gig [vs intel p2 p3 p4a p4b pinouts] then the 939 shoulda lasted longer also.... I like stability of a platform, not flavor of the i got you this month..business like stability also.... x4's for the am2? then why the socket F ???????
May 24, 2007 10:44:43 PM

Quote:
I did take notice that even though its 240 pins, the knotch or slot is in a different position. So I guess MB without that knotch, the module won't fit them.

LOLOL

I think that one is just flipped around man, the short side looks about the same from either end to me, although you might be right. 8)
May 24, 2007 10:48:42 PM

Can any of us predict the future?

Nuff said 8O

Kill this post.........please.............. :evil: 
May 24, 2007 11:23:43 PM

Quote:

Nuff said 8O

i can.

VIA Buys AMD for a substantial loss. from that day on it is known as VIA DAAMIT!.

flame on.
May 24, 2007 11:26:13 PM

That was actually pretty funny...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
May 24, 2007 11:36:27 PM

Quote:

Nuff said 8O

i can.

VIA Buys AMD for a substantial loss. from that day on it is known as VIA DAAMIT!.

flame on.

I really want to see McDonalds buy DAAMIT. All these companies are way too serious, McDonalds would lighten things up a bit, while at the same time offering processors for cheap, and at convienient locations. I can see it now...

"Get free DAAMIT CPU with every kids meal. And go see the Disney movie, "DAAMIT goes to Barcelona"
May 24, 2007 11:58:41 PM

Quote:

LOLOL

I think that one is just flipped around man, the short side looks about the same from either end to me, although you might be right. 8)

:oops:  . o O (ya, I think I made a boo boo)

But, I tried to get pic's that were close enough to compare:

DDR 3 on top (corsair) - DDR 2 on bottom (munchin)
May 25, 2007 12:37:34 AM

Well, wouldn't it be a McDAAMIT if McDonalds bought them? 8O

wes
May 25, 2007 1:00:02 AM

Quote:
Question is who gives a rip about C2D, I sure don't! AM2 runs just fine for me and Phenom quad core looks just as good from my house!
I agree with that, my 5600x2 is awesome, however, i am theleader of both the bang for our buck leauge and the the mid range card leauge. My next big purchase will be a quad core, who it comes from is up to amd. Im still not big on intel mobo's, but i wanna have a badass system(from a mid range point of view)
May 25, 2007 1:06:57 AM

Quote:
Well, wouldn't it be a McDAAMIT if McDonalds bought them? 8O

wes

that would actually be WACDAMMIT. because that would indeed be whack.
May 25, 2007 1:18:25 AM

What the hey!

I want my anyone even care about list......

1. Anyone even care about the environment anymore?

2. Anyone even care about the price of gas anymore?

3. Anyone even care about the fact that the entire world is going to hell in a
handbasket and all we are worried about is a bunch of silicone?

Ok im done raving like a lunatic now.............. 8O
May 25, 2007 1:20:43 AM

Meh, the world's been going to hell in a handbasket for thousands of years now. I have no doubt we will eventually get there, but you might as well fiddle while Rome burns.
May 25, 2007 1:29:08 AM

I for one hope and believe that AMD will pull through this slump. I have never liked Intel, never owned Intel and never will buy Intel. I have always thought their business practice to be despicable and still is. The latest situation with the "one laptop per child" program just supports my stand against them. They only got involved in the program because AMD was chosen as the processor supplier for the laptops.

I know Intel has the superior product right now and may hold that crown for a long time to come, however, I will not cross over to the dark side. I could only imagine what the price of Intel processors would be without AMD around.
May 25, 2007 1:39:57 AM

Quote:

intel has quads amd does not

Ok, 1st- AMD doesnt have quads, that's brilliant deduction there. AMD does have VIRTUAL quads (for the sake of argument, AMD DOES have quad core rigs, just not on a single chip)
2nd- DDR3 IS used on Video cards, but guess what? There's 3 manufacturers that I know of making DDR3 ram for your desktop config for use with the new p35 chipset and am3 socket (I think that this will be an AM2 socket with a new chipset. I dont see the need for additional pins for the memory controller, but I'm sure that someone will straighten me out on this) You must have missed half the previous posts with pictures clearly showing that Corsair is using the CM3xxxx prefix for DDR3 and the Crucial set is TAGGED with DDR3. :roll:
3rd- DDR4 is now being used on video cards as we will see with the mythical x2900xtx that has been hyped to hell and back, whenever it makes it's magical appearance. I cant wait, because then we might actually have a fight on our hands between Nvidia and ATI.
Quote:

I like stability of a platform, not flavor of the i got you this month..business like stability also.... x4's for the am2? then why the socket F ???????

If you like stability of a platform, then buy an Intel rig that's been using the same socket with 5 different chipsets, so you would have been having to update your MB the whole time to keep up with all the new technological additions that they've made (SLI, DDR2...etc) BUT, it's too bad that the older chips dont support all the new features, so it's basically the same upgrade frequency for either rig if you want the latest technology AND have it functional in your system.

-The socket F is originally for Opteron server processors. They used the socket F as a stop-gap so that they could release the new FX-7x series for a "quad-core" setup and compete with Intel's qx6700/6800 series. They basically took two seperate MB's and fused them together (that's why some have 4 PCI-E slots and 16 SATA connectors) and make you put two dual core chips on the thing to make it a "quad-core". They used a pre-existing socket configuration and just made new chips for it and are using them in a dual-chip configuration. Translation: AMD threw something together to at least keep themselves in the game.
May 25, 2007 1:45:31 AM

just to add to ur first paragraph, there is DDR4 available in the x1950xtx from MSI. i know, because the poster hangs on the wall above my tech bench. 8)
May 25, 2007 2:39:44 AM

Quote:
Thing is that AM3 is to have a memory controller that supports ddr2 and ddr3 and is going to have the same pinout as AM2 and AM2+. How come they could not have done the same for 939?

First of all, am3 is actually going to be a seperate platform using 45nm tech because they don't want to make a memroy controller that works with ddr2 and ddr3 because that will add some more heat and power consumption or something along those lines. And the reason why they didn't do that is for that primary reason:memory. By changing sockets they made it clear which boards could handle ddr2 and am2 cpus and which couldn't, while intel on the other hand tries to stab amd for that even though they require a new north and south bridge with every cpu anyways so they don't have the right criticize either.

Personally, I don't think ddr3 will be worth it until either bandwidth increases, or timings drop. cas9 seems pretty bad for 1066 imo. Once they can lower it down (yeah, the 1066 ddr3 will oc higher, but still, timings) then I'll say it's worth it and that's probably what amd's waiting on ddr3 for imo

If you compare the best DDR to the best DDR2 is there really any significant gains in benchmarks esp in gaming benchies????
May 25, 2007 3:30:54 AM

:arrow: God bless Intel,may they live long and prosper.
May 25, 2007 12:23:41 PM

OK, now I'm confused.

I just got a cheapass Gigabyte GA-M61VME-S2 in the expectation that it would be in a landfill in a few months when the heavy hitter CPUs come out. Now... tell me again... how do I turn this bargain-basement lump into an AM3 platform???
May 25, 2007 12:43:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:
2nd- DDR3 IS used on Video cards

Quote:
there is DDR4 available

There is a huge difference between DDR2 and gDDR2, DDR3 and gDDR3. gDDR3 is not the same memory as DDR3. So, there is no graphics card with DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4, but there are graphics card with gDDR2 and gDDR3. DDR4 doesn't even exist on paper, but very soon there would be a lot of graphics cards with gDDR4.
!