Sign in with
Your question

Which Linux should I use?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 12, 2012 8:22:51 AM

Hi community,

I have a circa 2006 Toshiba L20 laptop.I am currently running XP Pro SP3 32bit on it. Maybe I just have a short memory but I don't remember older machines being THIS slow. I would like to get as much performance out of this thing as possible (browsing, music, movies, typing) and XP is running painfully slow. I would like to give Ubuntu, or anything similar, a go as I hear that it is supposed to run much faster. I downloaded Ubuntu 12.4 last week and installed it as a duel-boot OS with XP but the system did not really seem any faster at all. I did notice that Ubuntu did not recognize my graphics card so I don't know if that effected system speed. As I don't really care about flashy effects in an OS on this machine I was hoping someone could recommend the best Linux/Ubuntu distro for this old system. Its frustratingly slow even when it comes to the basics!

Specs:

Toshiba L20
Windows XP SP3 32bit with all updates.
Intel Celeron M 380 @ 1.6 Ghz
2 Gigs PC2 5200 RAM
ATI 200m 128mb Graphics
40 Gig Toshiba HDD (unknown RPM but most likely 5200)

More about : linux

May 12, 2012 2:30:54 PM

amdfangirl said:
Linux Mint LXDE

Thanks, its working pretty quickly. I am having a problem with updating the OS or installing anything. I keep getting errors saying "Not found [IP 91.189.92.183 80]

Kind of a pain not being able to install Skype!

Any ideas?
m
l
Related resources
May 12, 2012 3:35:46 PM

Hello south_valhalla,

Linux Mint 12 LXDE is based on Ubuntu 11.10. If you previously had Ubuntu 12.04 then you actually took a step back :)  The reason it is more snappy than the default ubuntu is because it is using a light weight desktop environment. To install the LXDE desktop environment in Ubuntu you can simply type in a terimnal:

Quote:
sudo apt-get install lxde

There is also an Lubuntu which comes with the lxde desktop environment by default.

According to Toshiba that model of laptop shipped with either the Intel or ATI display adaptor. If you have the ATI adaptor you can install the proprietary drivers that may help speed up your display. I'm not sure why skype isnt working for you. I've installed skype in both Ubuntu and Fedora without any issues.

south_valhalla said:
Thanks, its working pretty quickly. I am having a problem with updating the OS or installing anything. I keep getting errors saying "Not found [IP 91.189.92.183 80]

Kind of a pain not being able to install Skype!

Any ideas?
m
l
May 12, 2012 4:01:54 PM

nhasian said:
Hello south_valhalla,

Linux Mint 12 LXDE is based on Ubuntu 11.10. If you previously had Ubuntu 12.04 then you actually took a step back :)  The reason it is more snappy than the default ubuntu is because it is using a light weight desktop environment. To install the LXDE desktop environment in Ubuntu you can simply type in a terimnal:

Quote:

There is also an Lubuntu which comes with the lxde desktop environment by default.

According to Toshiba that model of laptop shipped with either the Intel or ATI display adaptor. If you have the ATI adaptor you can install the proprietary drivers that may help speed up your display. I'm not sure why skype isnt working for you. I've installed skype in both Ubuntu and Fedora without any issues.

Its an ATI system. Thanks, I guess Ill format the Mint drive and give 12.04 another shot. This is almost more of a pain than my slow XP! :p 
m
l
May 13, 2012 2:19:04 AM

nhasian said:
Hello south_valhalla,

Quote:

Great, the installation crashed and now I can't even boot to windows. Ubuntu its not worth this.....
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:19:44 AM

south_valhalla said:
Great, the installation crashed and now I can't even boot to windows. Ubuntu its not worth this.....

You might want to look at Bodhi. It's an Ubuntu child that uses the Enlightenment (E17) DE. I've personally not used Bodhi, but I do use E17. E17 is really underrated. I've used Lubuntu and Xubuntu recently and gah... total PTIA :sarcastic:  Felt bloated, slow, clunky, had weird install problems and then ongoing issues. I was NOT impressed with either.

m
l
May 13, 2012 5:09:19 AM

Hmm, that is very frustrating. Lets take a breath and figure out what's going on here. You had Ubuntu 12.04 installed earlier. what has changed? are you using the same media to install Ubuntu 12.04 again? Or did you try installing Lubuntu instead? What part of the installation did it crash at? Was there any kind of error message? We are happy to help you get up and running again but we will need a bit more information to continue.

south_valhalla said:
m
l
May 13, 2012 7:00:21 AM

He was using Ubuntu, then Linux Mint. Now something broke. :) 

That's what I get from his posts.
m
l
May 13, 2012 10:11:34 AM

nhasian said:
Hmm, that is very frustrating. Lets take a breath and figure out what's going on here. You had Ubuntu 12.04 installed earlier. what has changed? are you using the same media to install Ubuntu 12.04 again? Or did you try installing Lubuntu instead? What part of the installation did it crash at? Was there any kind of error message? We are happy to help you get up and running again but we will need a bit more information to continue.

Thanks for the help and insight but I'm just going to stick with XP. I formatted the HDD and did a clean install of XP...I don't want to have to do that again!

Thanks anyway! :pt1cable: 
m
l
!