Sign in with
Your question

Boot freeBSD

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 13, 2012 3:08:05 PM

Would you like the entire disk da0 for freebsd or partition.. what do i choose?
im using vmplayer and i have 4 other os on vm as well. so do i select entire disk or partition.

if i click entire disk i get this:
please review the disk setup, When complete press finish.

dao da0p1 da0p2 da0p3 are mentioned.

create delete modify revert auto finish

The above are all the options to choose from.

Any sugestions?

More about : boot freebsd

May 13, 2012 3:48:50 PM

This article discusses file systems and partitions for freeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disk-organization.h...

I imagine you would need a minimum of two partitions one for root and one for swap. Also this one is from freebsd's website:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbo...

ramsk said:
Would you like the entire disk da0 for freebsd or partition.. what do i choose?
im using vmplayer and i have 4 other os on vm as well. so do i select entire disk or partition.

if i click entire disk i get this:
please review the disk setup, When complete press finish.

dao da0p1 da0p2 da0p3 are mentioned.

create delete modify revert auto finish

The above are all the options to choose from.

Any sugestions?
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:08:00 PM

Ok I was able to create a user. But i am unable to login. i could access root. is there a way to change login via root?
i get this error msg incorrect login everytime i try to access.

m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2012 5:12:59 PM

yes as root you can reset a user's password with the command:

passwd username

where username is the name of the user you would like to do a password reset on.
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:13:25 PM

If you cannot login at all then start over. This time make a note of the usernames and passwords that you specify when installing.

If you can login as root but have forgotten the password for the user then use the "passwd" command to change it.
m
l
May 15, 2012 12:04:06 AM

well technically if you lost your root password you can reset it by booting off of a LiveCD, it is not necessary to start all over.

Ijack said:
If you cannot login at all then start over. This time make a note of the usernames and passwords that you specify when installing.

If you can login as root but have forgotten the password for the user then use the "passwd" command to change it.

m
l
May 15, 2012 6:10:51 AM

You can, but on a brand- new install it's probably easier to do it again - and take notes.
m
l
!