Gaming: 32bit ultimate or 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phsrb33

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Looking to upgrade, not really sure which i wanna run, or which is more viable for gaming/all around enthusiasts. I'm currently running XP pro -

system specs:
intel Q6600
corsair ddr2 (4 gigs)
gigabyte mobo
WD SATA 320 gig
sapphire radeon hd 4780 (1gb version)
corsair 750watt psu

discuss.

Solution
I'd go w/
Vista Home Premium x64
You'll be fully utilizing the 4 Gb of RAM and the Ultimate extras aren't really that great
(the dreamscene extra can be had through a small hack of Windows to get it on any version, just google it)

arges86

Distinguished
I'd go w/
Vista Home Premium x64
You'll be fully utilizing the 4 Gb of RAM and the Ultimate extras aren't really that great
(the dreamscene extra can be had through a small hack of Windows to get it on any version, just google it)

Solution
64 will actually use your 4 gig of RAM or more, 32 will only use about 3 or even less, even when 4 is installed (with your configuration ) for complex reasons. Otherwise 64 and 32 are virtually identical at this time. Some old programs and the occasional off beat application may have issues with 64 bit but for the typical gamer/enthusiast 64 bit is the way to go at this time. All drivers must be 64 bit versions but for any fairly recent hardware this is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.