Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A Linux Noob Has Been Spotted!

Tags:
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 16, 2012 11:55:33 PM

Hey so Windows 7 kind of cost a hundred dollars, a hundred dollars id like to save to spend on other parts of my computer.

So im thinking about Linux. Here are my concerns/questions and if someone could answer these and give me advice thatd be just great :bounce: 

1.) Limitations of Linux hardware wise? ( Do motherboards, different frequencies/amount of ram dont work, etc.. )

2.) Is there a proper site to see all programs that work on Linux? If not i want to know if Adobe applications work, Camtasia Studios and or Sony Vegas work, and does Steam work and its games? Will Diablo 3, Skyrim, Portal, etc work??

3.) Difficulty learning? I heard i have to input commands and stuff, i dont know exactly what but i heard its diffrent from how windows works ( obviously ). How hard is it too learn Linux?

4.) Where to get Linux? When i build a new computer do i have to buy a disc? DO i download it on a dvd and then use it like that?

5.) If i do get it off the internet and burn it too a disc where do i get it? WHich site and which version is best?

If i should know anything else tell me lol. My first computer build and i wanna make sure im ok with getting Linux. Please help!! :bounce: 

More about : linux noob spotted

Best solution

May 17, 2012 3:19:02 AM

AngryConfusedRabbit said:
Hey so Windows 7 kind of cost a hundred dollars, a hundred dollars id like to save to spend on other parts of my computer.

So im thinking about Linux. Here are my concerns/questions and if someone could answer these and give me advice thatd be just great :bounce: 

1.) Limitations of Linux hardware wise? ( Do motherboards, different frequencies/amount of ram dont work, etc.. )

Not too much different on a compatibility level, linux runs pretty well on older systems and newer systems alike.

2.) Is there a proper site to see all programs that work on Linux? If not i want to know if Adobe applications work, Camtasia Studios and or Sony Vegas work, and does Steam work and its games? Will Diablo 3, Skyrim, Portal, etc work??

Steam will only work through Wine, but there is rumors that valve is making steam for linux. You should be able to use wine for most windows programs that don't work natively on linux. Ideally if you really want to play games, you will probably have to get a windows key and make a partition for windows just so you can be guaranteed to play the games you want. the only time i even use windows nowadays is just to play games, other than that its ubuntu all the way

3.) Difficulty learning? I heard i have to input commands and stuff, i dont know exactly what but i heard its diffrent from how windows works ( obviously ). How hard is it too learn Linux?

Not difficult at all, if you want to learn more of the commands and stuff like that definetly pick up a linux book from amazon but for the most part its pretty easy, just have to know where to look and get acclimated to the os.

4.) Where to get Linux? When i build a new computer do i have to buy a disc? DO i download it on a dvd and then use it like that?
Mainly you can just download different kernels various ways be it torrenting, going to the actual site who makes the kernels. just burn on a dvd or boot from usb to install, and best of all its free.

5.) If i do get it off the internet and burn it too a disc where do i get it? WHich site and which version is best?

I would personally suggest Ubuntu 12.04 LTS if your just starting, imo its a tab more user friendly for a new person because of Unity (which a ton of people hate for some reason). If you want the reg Gnome Linux, Linux Mint 12 is awesome as well. Many other distros like Fedora, Centos, Red Hat, just play around and see which one you like best.

If i should know anything else tell me lol. My first computer build and i wanna make sure im ok with getting Linux.
Please help!! :bounce: 

Just have fun and remember whatever stuff Microsoft thinks you have to pay for there is a equal and better free solution on Linux.
May 17, 2012 3:20:51 AM

AngryConfusedRabbit said:

Smart man! :love: 

To answer your questions:

1) There are some obscure hardware that isn't support in linux but most of the time you wont run into it. maybe if you have a non name brand video camera or something. Good thing is you can boot off of an Ubuntu or Fedora live CD and test it out before installing it.

2) Linux is not Windows. you will want to run Linux programs instead of windows ones. for example, instead of Microsoft Office you can use LibreOffice for word processor, spreadsheet, etc. Instead of Internet Explorer you can use Firefox or Chrome, etc. some programs can run with WINE like WoW and even Diablo 3!! Not all games or programs written for windows can run in linux. If you need to play these games you can dual boot between windows and linux.

3) There is a small learning curve. My mom and wife both use it without any issues and neither one of them are very computer literate. I recommend starting out with Ubuntu 12.04
when i first started using Ubuntu I learned a lot from the book Ubuntu Unleashed I highly recommend it.

4) Where to get linux? Well depends on which distribution you want. For Ubuntu go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
if you want Fedora then grab it from http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

I also recommend you visit http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php as it has a lot of information for people new to linux including how to download and create an installation cd.

5) see above

Also I have a brand new daughter named Linux https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Nhasian
m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
May 17, 2012 3:42:50 AM

In addition to see what windows apps work with linux via WINE, search the appdb http://appdb.winehq.org/

some things work, some don't. generally the older it is, the better the support for it.
Steam games, and skyrim are reported to work VERY well with WINE.
m
l
May 17, 2012 7:29:58 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Got some studying to do now haha
m
l
!