Geforce 7900 GT problems

Mstngdrew232

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Im not exactly sure whats wrong with my computer, but it randomly shuts down and has trouble running any 3d games. I recently updated all my drivers for my gfx card and it still has the problem. Driveragent says that alot of my drivers are out of date, but i dont know exaclty what drivers i need to update and where to get them =X. Right now my 2nd moniter on the left side is shutting off and on randomly in odd intervals. Alot of the time i have trouble moving things from one screen to the next, and it can sometimes cause the computer to restart or lag out badly.

Here's my specs:

Windows XP
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD Socket AM2 64 bit 2.2ghrz duo core processor
Nvida Geforce XFX 7900 GT graphics card
2GB DDR2 Ram
Im running an old dell CRT moniter on the left and a LCD Viewsonic on the right.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
You will need a lefthanded metric screwdriver to fix it.

Actually what psu are you running?

For drivers try nvidia,s website, for your gpu.

Also maybe try an anti-virus scan.

Mstngdrew232

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Well i have two molex that combine into the 4 pin connector that connect into the card. I just redid all my wiring and now the card has its own molex line. And i moved my case out of the cubby hole on my desk. It works better now, still a little laggy here and there, but no crashes so far.

bsegall

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
mousemonkey, I am having the same problems as Mstngdrew232. Same card, same symptoms.

I replaced my PSU with a 600w unit, and at first it didn't have any effect. But a few hours later (after calling BFG for an RMA) it worked properly again! I don't get this - why did it take a few hours for it to start working properly? I don't really trust it, and I expect it to fail again imminently. The tech support rep at BFG told me that based on the symptoms, my card was shot. (I was seeing artifacts on BIOS screens, but they are gone now)

Mstngdrew232

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I think this card runs a little warm or something in our systems are running a little warm. Try putting a new VGA cooler on it or some more case fans, i moved my case out into some free flowing air and it helped cool it down alot. I still have some software compatability issues every now and then, but the computer has stopped crashing completely.

bsegall

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Running warm, you mean GPU core temperature? Mine runs in the mid 50's which is well within tolerance according to the nvidia control panel (the bars are green until 78 degrees). The ambient temp inside my case is ~30 degrees. All various fans inside function properly.