Ubuntu Asus & GigaByte H67 M/B support...

retroborg

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
HI,
I'm considering of buying either one of these M/Bs that have everything on-board (VGA, Lan & Audio), 4GB Ram & an Intel Core i3-2100 (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz) and install Linux Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS 64bit to utilize the 4GB Ram.

ASUS P8H67-M PRO B3 REV 3.0
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67M_PRO/#specifications

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3806#sp

Intel Core i3-2100 (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz)
http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/

I noticed that neither manufacturers have Linux Drivers for their M/B, so will all the M/B components (H67 chip-set, Lan, Audio, VGA) will be recognized by the Ubuntu installation. I'm concerned whether the on-board graphics processor of the chip-set & CPU will work in Ubuntu?
Or whether I should get a separate PCI Express 16x VGA card (NVIDIA / ATI) that both support Linux.

Otherwise , which other equivalent M/B would be 100% compatible with Linux Ubuntu...

Thanks in advance

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I doubt any of us have used the specified motherboards, but there is a good chance that they are indeed supported.

The Core i3 and the HD graphics are definitely supported.

Check each motherboard and find one with a review done on Ubuntu.

Or contact ASUS/Gigabyte.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work just fine. Generally compatibility issues only arise when you have some pretty obscure hardware (with exceptions of course).

actually linux drivers are built into the linux kernel. usually you do not need to get drivers from the manufacturer like you do with windows. I know that the onboard integrated video from the sandy & ivy bridge chipset is indeed well supported with the linux kernel. I dont think you will have any trouble with either the lan or audio they are pretty standardized.

speaking or which, is there any particular reason you are going with last year's 2nd gen processor and board than the new ivy bridge?

To be strictly accurate, Linux drivers are not generally built into the kernel but are supplied as loadable modules (just like Windows). A kernel with all possible divers in would be larger than necessary. But most modules are provided with most distributions. Others can be supplied by the manufactuer.

As has been suggested, the best source of information is usually to be found on dedicated forums. A good first step is to Google "Linux" plus the model of motherboard.

retroborg

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Thanks you for your reply.

Yes Cost, as we'll be getting more than 1 PC for an organization with a specific budget and I need to install Linux Ubuntu to save money from buying Windows Licenses that are not needed. So I need something that will be compatible with Linux with no hassles / problems.

So the integrated Intel HD Graphics 2000 of the CPU will be recognized by Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS 64bit? from the installation and I will not need to search for additional drivers?

Thanks in advance!

Yes it will all be automagically recognized by any modern linux distro. Ubuntu 12.04, Fedora 17, etc