Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrading to Open Office 3.4 from OO_3.2 on Ubuntu_10.04

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 19, 2012 2:07:33 AM

Gents:

Running U_10.04LTS on AMD_965 system:

I use Open Office_3.2 comfortably and successfully. Over several years I have created a huge important base of OO_3.2 text files. Having them, their compatibility or the creation environment threatened in any way is an unacceptable risk to me.

But now I am considering upgrading (word?) to Open Office_3.4 currently bossed by Apache. Reading a few website comments makes the changeover appear both obscure & non-trivial. Has anyone successfully migrated their text files and workflow from OO_3.2 to OO_3.4 in Ubuntu_10.04LTS? Any comments or appreciations about the task will help prompt my decision.
May 19, 2012 11:14:02 AM

Just to be clear here - I'm reading this as you have a large number of documents which are in .odt format created using Write, the oO equivalent of Word in the world of MS office. You're now looking to move from oO 3.2 to 3.4.

I've not personally heard of any issues in opening a v3.2 generated .odt file in 3.4 or vice versa, unlike MS the odt standard doesn't change on a whim to force users to upgrade with each new release. I'd be surprised if you have any issues unless you've been doing some very funky things with your documents.

It might help if you could give some links to the articles you've read regarding issues. It might be there is something I've missed here but I really don't see any problems at all.
Score
May 19, 2012 1:30:19 PM

OKey:

I understand you saying no file **format** issue exists between the 3.2 and 3.4 versions of OO_word processing. That's good.

Now what about the task of replacing (upgrading) the older 3.2 Open Office ... with its presumed "hooks" into the Cannonical apps system(?) ..... using the newer Apache_based 3.4 Open Office? I have certainly never before made such an installation. Does a "smooth", integrated transition exist, or is the installer thrown back to the most primitive PRE-REDHAT/PRE-UBUNTU file structures and manual process mechanisms . Does an **install wizard** perform the transition?

After all ... **current-best-practice** is to scan a table of applications and //click// an install button in SYNAPTIC!

audiovoodoo said:
Just to be clear here - I'm reading this as you have a large number of documents which are in .odt format created using Write, the oO equivalent of Word in the world of MS office. You're now looking to move from oO 3.2 to 3.4.

I've not personally heard of any issues in opening a v3.2 generated .odt file in 3.4 or vice versa, unlike MS the odt standard doesn't change on a whim to force users to upgrade with each new release. I'd be surprised if you have any issues unless you've been doing some very funky things with your documents.

It might help if you could give some links to the articles you've read regarding issues. It might be there is something I've missed here but I really don't see any problems at all.

Score
May 19, 2012 7:22:28 PM

Quote:
Does an **install wizard** perform the transition?

Yes, the package manager will handle 'transition' automagically.

Also suggest moving to libreoffice instead of openoffice (for various reasons)
http://www.libreoffice.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

First remove openoffice from system.
  1. sudo apt-get purge openoffice*.*

add the libreoffice ppa and install
  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install libreoffice
Score
May 19, 2012 7:54:08 PM

Skit:

Not to be dense, but my Ubuntu package manage (SYNAPTIC) gives no indication of a v_3.4 of Open Office. So to what package manager do you refer and what **syntax**?

I am satisfied with OO performance , and experience no current technical issue to change my office-suite to Libreoffice. I do not care for RMS_type political issues intruding into my computing environs. Having used and admined home Linux and MS systems I consider Linux a superior OS in function and total effective cost.

Being required to change versions of satisfactory apps ( like Open Oddice and Gnome ) makes Linux more "expensive" for me ... learning per-se is a cost not a benefit and gawdsakes I have never been "amused" by computers!

skittle said:
Quote:
Does an **install wizard** perform the transition?

Yes, the package manager will handle 'transition' automagically.

Also suggest moving to libreoffice instead of openoffice (for various reasons)

First remove openoffice from system.
  1. sudo apt-get purge openoffice*.*

add the libreoffice ppa and install
  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install libreoffice

By the way, libreoffice/openoffice versions have been bumped to 3.5 so you will get that instead of 3.4 :) 

Score
May 19, 2012 8:02:54 PM

Quote:
Not to be dense, but my Ubuntu package manage (SYNAPTIC) gives no indication of a v_3.4 of Open Office. So to what package manager do you refer and what **syntax**?

Thats because ubuntu 10.04 repository only contains openoffice 3.2. You must add a custom ppa to get openoffice 3.4/libreoffice.
btw, synaptic is only a front end to the APT package manager.

However the move to libreoffice isn't only political. Development for openoffice has ceased. All of the developers have moved to libreoffice.

If you still insist on using openoffice. you can use this ppa.
  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/office
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install openoffice
Score
May 20, 2012 3:55:41 AM

Thanks SK: I would have **never** conjured that syntax myself. As for OO vs LO , I have no need for the change. Current OO is GOOD ENOUGH. Thus changing to LO constitutes an extra **expense** ... as well as rewarding the forked-up developers (hehehe) with mindshare. Apache Foundation is BIG CHEESE. I can trust them to evolve Open Office within a mature structure. In addition when next April comes around & (if) I do decide to dump Ubuntu for Debian then there is no issue of "native" office suite.

Thanks again for your help.

skittle said:
Quote:

Thats because ubuntu 10.04 repository only contains openoffice 3.2. You must add a custom ppa to get openoffice 3.4/libreoffice.
btw, synaptic is only a front end to the APT package manager.

However the move to libreoffice isn't only political. Development for openoffice has ceased. All of the developers have moved to libreoffice.

If you still insist on using openoffice. you can use this ppa.
  1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/office
  2. sudo apt-get update
  3. sudo apt-get install openoffice

Score
May 20, 2012 6:21:56 AM

If OO works for you as is, and you don't like upgrading, why bother? Just stick with what you know and like.
Score
May 20, 2012 7:01:02 AM

If anything, in an environment like yours, if all works just fine I wouldn't touch it. :) 

Or if you must I would virtualise Ubuntu and test the compatibility of the files with 3.4 before upgrading.
Score
May 20, 2012 8:45:01 AM

Just to clarify, the 3.2 OO in 10.04 is Oracle and not Apache.
Score
May 20, 2012 12:57:04 PM

IJ:

I seem not to make this point clear. Until the Libre-Office/Gniome-2 fiascos Ubuntu had trivialized the art of evolutionary & bulletproof upgrades ... true improvements for ZERO userland cost: SYNAPTIC and UPDATE MANAGER were gifts-from-the-gawds. A continuous set of minor evolutionary improvements and de-bugging. Utterly changed the nature of userland computing while infuriating both business-Nazi and Geek!

So honest, an upgrade performed to the standards of SYNAPTIC carries (nearly) **NO** cost to casual , but intense computer users like me. That was my original question: will my **upgrade** from UBUNTU_managed Open Office_3.2 to APACHE based Open Office 3.4 proceed as flawlessly and transparently as my standard SYNAPTIC_mediated upgrade?

A gent was kind enough to supply a "magical" shell-script incantation that performs the V_3.2 to V3.4 without issue, intervention or discontinuity. I will indeed "measure twice" before I cut-once, but the task is at the top of my list. Right next to a 300,000 word (OO_created) text in final syntax polishing -- nearly ready for agent-shopping. You can imagine how sensitive I am right now to any significant interruption in my workflow regimen ... but may I repeat, Ubuntu has taught its userland audiance that apps-upgrades ( sound apps excluded!! ) is a riskless, transparent, ongoing behavior.

Ijack said:
If OO works for you as is, and you don't like upgrading, why bother? Just stick with what you know and like.

Score
May 20, 2012 1:14:01 PM

I don't even know the meaning of the word "virtualize", let alone the sequence of software and tasks required to implement it or the net value once accomplished. I imagine its some **abstraction layer** bwteeen system formware and user interaction. Too bad! I am **more than happy** with my single_user Linux system acting like a visually attractive, stable and matured DOS_6.22!

In fact with RAM and HDD and CPU so overmatching the software I might prefer **every application** to carry a complete load of hardware drivers and internal GUI like "the ol' dayz'" and so each speaking directly to hardware and working mostly independent of the OS whose primary job would be to turn ON/OFF the fans, mouse+keyboard, power supply and temperature probes.

amdfangirl said:
If anything, in an environment like yours, if all works just fine I wouldn't touch it. :) 

Or if you must I would virtualise Ubuntu and test the compatibility of the files with 3.4 before upgrading.

Score
May 20, 2012 3:11:09 PM

You manage, in a lot of words, to not explain why you want to upgrade OO. Is possible to explain in a few words why you want to upgrade?
Score
May 20, 2012 10:56:07 PM

I thought I said this explicitly. If my Office-suite upgrade involves **zero** expense ... measured by effort and risk and compatibility ... and even marginal improvements I will then do better to upgrade. How can I be more clear? If you offer me $0.25 no strings I take it every time. For the last several years this has been my concrete experience (sound function excluded) with the Ubuntu updates. Will I have the same **costless gain** updating to OO_3.4 from Apache?

Perhaps the word "update" is your problem ... it's more like a divorce and re-marriage ... all nknow what unpleasantness such an **update** generates. But I have been given by a kind poster the magic syntax to perform the **costless** change.

Ijack said:
You manage, in a lot of words, to not explain why you want to upgrade OO. Is possible to explain in a few words why you want to upgrade?

Score

Best solution

May 21, 2012 8:16:24 AM

There's an old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Even if I get $0.25 I don't necessarily fix it.

You can never know whether an upgrade will be "costless" or even an improvement on what you already have. If you are happy with what you have, and place great reliance on it, then it seems silly to change just for the sake of change.

On the other hand, if you are aware of significant improvements in the new product, and are willing to take the risk, however slight, that it may screw things up then it may be worth the potential pain.

Very little in life involves zero expense, and I think that all of us have now expended more on this topic than it deserves.
May 21, 2012 10:01:04 AM

This topic has been closed by Amdfangirl
Score
May 21, 2012 10:01:18 AM

Best answer selected by amdfangirl.
Score
!