Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it possible to install "Do not track plus for firefox" in Ubuntu?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
Anonymous
May 19, 2012 7:21:44 AM

Hello everyone, how are you :) 
I'm running 'do not track plus for firefox' with "Palemoon" on windows 7 home premium (64 bit).
Got this friend of mine, she'd really like to use the do not track plus plug-in but her computer is running Ubuntu (only ubuntu, no windows dual-boot).
The web page for DNT+ (http://abine.com/dntdetail.php) reads "Compatible with Mac or PC for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer".
When they say Mac or PC, do they mean every operating systems on the PC? Are firefox plug-ins platform independent?
Can I give her a copy of the "dntp-cnet-firefox.xpi" file I have on my computer and can she double click on it to add it to firefox (like I did in windows 7, double click, firefox asks "are you sure you want to add this plug-in?" and displays information about the publisher, i click confirm, windows asks for my administrator password, I swipe my finger on the finger print scanner of the laptop, firefox installs the plug-in and restarts), or is there something else she needs to do?
Thanks for reading, and any information will be highly appreciated. :-)
you guys are beautiful :-)
TC.
:bounce: 

Best solution

May 19, 2012 11:06:29 AM

Firstly why on earth are you going to cnet for a Firefox addon? You can get them direct from mozilla via the standard add on menu options. All that happens when you download from a 3rd party and double click on the .xpi file is that windows file associations cause it to be opened by firefox.

All your friend needs to do is go to the add-ons section in firefox and look for 'do not track', or she could just click on this link and install it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/donottra...

All the add-ons for firefox are designed to run inside the firefox framework, they are not platform specific so as long as you have a working copy of firefox you can install any of the available add-ons for it.
May 19, 2012 11:07:02 AM

BTW it's the same situation for chrome extensions.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 19, 2012 1:24:21 PM

audiovoodoo said:
Firstly why on earth are you going to cnet for a Firefox addon? You can get them direct from mozilla via the standard add on menu options. All that happens when you download from a 3rd party and double click on the .xpi file is that windows file associations cause it to be opened by firefox.

All your friend needs to do is go to the add-ons section in firefox and look for 'do not track', or she could just click on this link and install it:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/donottra...

All the add-ons for firefox are designed to run inside the firefox framework, they are not platform specific so as long as you have a working copy of firefox you can install any of the available add-ons for it.

Hello audiovoodoo :hello: 
Thank you so much for the link :-)
And thanks for clarifying firefox plug-ins are OS-independent, that's really cool, every software should be available on every OS IMO, that'd allow the user to pick an OS solely on it's own merits, instead of opting for an OS which supports an application he wishes to run (and doesn't want to settle for an alternative.)
cnet, lol, i shouldn't be posting about cnet on tom's :-p i know, just that I use cnet as an app-store, i get every app i need in one place, it's a lil convenient for me :-)
Thanks again, great answer :-)
m
l
Anonymous
May 19, 2012 1:24:45 PM

Best answer selected by the_substitute_teacher.
m
l
May 20, 2012 8:51:35 AM

With regard to cnet, you might want to take the time to watch this video, I first posted the link back in January in the threats to digital freedom thread but it's worth posting again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQhNE65wmg&feature=g-al...

The presenter is somewhat irritating but the message is clear, you should have the main point in 5 mins.

Ethically I just can't trust a company that works that way.
m
l
!