Charter Cable Modem

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Do you really need one that will have drivers and application in x64? I don't know if possible but you can have a look at MS Hardware Compatibility List:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/

A good branded modem should work fine even it's not having drivers/software in x64.

RaymondUhl

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Thanks for the reply... The modem I have works fine using a 32 bit OS, when I use the 64 bit OS the connection to the internet is lost shortly (5 - 45 Seconds) after it has connected. It is really bad when using RDC which I do a lot when I work from home...

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Did you tried the link provided? I checked the first one in the list, the "USRobotics Performance Pro" and there is a 32/64 bits tabs and this one is certified for x64. It does not means it has driver/app written in x64 but work.

Did you find your modem in the list? May be need newer drivers from the manufacturer?

RaymondUhl

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

I am looking for an external cable modem, not an internal...
I am heading to Charter office so I can talk with someone there.
Thanks for your reply's

bhowell

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I wouldn't think it would really matter. I am using the same cable modem that I have used for Win 2000, XP Pro 32bit, Vista 32 bit, Vista 64 bit, and Windows 7. My modem is plugged into my router and all of my PCs connect to the router. Drivers shouldn't be an issue. I think there is another issue somewhere for you.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006

If you talk about me, It was simply an example (first one from the list) from the M$ list of compatible Modem.

bhowell

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I understand what you were trying to do. I don't mean to be rude, or confrontational, but the thread being about cable modems, and your example being about a 56k modem would be like comparing apples to oranges. Totally different ends of the spectrum.

I don't think his issue is one of a modem problem anyway. I think something else is going on.

A cable modem doesn't use drivers....at least if used with an ethernet connection. My modem does have a USB port that I haven't used so there could be a possibility of drivers being needed there. I can't say though.