Server load

Granted I've only been playing CoH since December but I do not recall a time
when I've seen the server load indicators above Moderate (or what ever the 2
dots signify) and usually it's for only 3 of the servers. Was there ever a
time when any of the servers read a heavy load?

DC
--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 28 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

    "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Granted I've only been playing CoH since December but I do not recall a time
    >when I've seen the server load indicators above Moderate (or what ever the 2
    >dots signify) and usually it's for only 3 of the servers. Was there ever a
    >time when any of the servers read a heavy load?

    In the early days, they all read heavy during prime time.
    Virtue (as the unofficial roleplay server) read heavy for a few hours
    before and after prime time as well.

    This seems to be the difference between Cryptic/NCPlay and Blizzard;
    C/NCP actually put up enough servers to handle the expected load at
    release and as they lost customers later, kept those servers up.
    SO now we rarely see the dreaded red dot, and get mostly lag free play.

    Blizzard on the other hand seems to have done some guesswork on how many
    people would continue to play their game after 3 months or 6 months and
    then made that their server number.
    The result of course is massive problems, lineups, seriously
    dissatisfied customers, and quite likely a massive dilution of their
    name and the loyalty of their fan base.

    CoH is going to make a name for itself in MMORPG history, I think, just
    for doing so damn many things _right_.

    Xocyll
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:09:43 GMT, "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com>
    wrote:

    >Granted I've only been playing CoH since December but I do not recall a time
    >when I've seen the server load indicators above Moderate (or what ever the 2
    >dots signify) and usually it's for only 3 of the servers. Was there ever a
    >time when any of the servers read a heavy load?

    Test, immediately after the I4 release. The performance was really bad
    then, too.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:59:42 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    > This seems to be the difference between Cryptic/NCPlay and Blizzard;
    > C/NCP actually put up enough servers to handle the expected load at
    > release and as they lost customers later, kept those servers up.
    > SO now we rarely see the dreaded red dot, and get mostly lag free play.
    >
    > Blizzard on the other hand seems to have done some guesswork on how many
    > people would continue to play their game after 3 months or 6 months and
    > then made that their server number.
    > The result of course is massive problems, lineups, seriously
    > dissatisfied customers, and quite likely a massive dilution of their
    > name and the loyalty of their fan base.
    >
    > CoH is going to make a name for itself in MMORPG history, I think, just
    > for doing so damn many things _right_.

    I largely agree: Cryptic made an impressive game and have gone beyond the
    usual in listening to their customers.

    On the other hand, the smooth release of the game is pretty much exactly
    paralleling the launch of Dark Age of Camelot a couple years earlier. And
    the decision to optimize the game for the NVIDIA chipset may not have been
    the smartest move either, as the game was actually launched into the
    height of the ATI supremacy. Both DAoC and WoW runs a lot better on
    common ATI cards than does CoH.

    Back to the topic of server load, DAoC is implementing a server
    clustering, where low-population servers get shared areas and the ability
    for characters to visit a neighboring server. (Visiting characters are
    identified by server name in their name.) This is certainly an innovative
    approach and far better than just merging them. I wonder if this is
    patented or if NCSoft can do the same thing when the game nears the end of
    its life cycle. (Likely that won't happen until quite a while after CoV,
    though.)

    good sign." -G
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:59:42 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >
    > Back to the topic of server load, DAoC is implementing a server
    > clustering, where low-population servers get shared areas and the ability
    > for characters to visit a neighboring server. (Visiting characters are
    > identified by server name in their name.) This is certainly an innovative
    > approach and far better than just merging them. I wonder if this is
    > patented or if NCSoft can do the same thing when the game nears the end of
    > its life cycle. (Likely that won't happen until quite a while after CoV,
    > though.)

    I may get a little advantage for spreading my characters across different
    servers.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 21 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 14 Blaster (Gun,Energy), Virtue
    Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thanks for the response. After reviewing again the charts at
    http://www.mmogchart.com which may or may not be very accurate, it seems the
    peak interest in CoH occured around August of 2004 with roughly 180,000
    subscribers. Since then the subscription seems to have dropped to about
    125,000.

    With a 30% drop in subscribers, I would assume the servers that may have
    once read heavy should now read moderate during peak, yet that is not
    generally the case with all the servers. Could this be due to additional
    new server space being made available since the days of heavy loads? Or is
    it the creation of new servers (this did happen right?) has helped to spread
    the load a bit more evenly?

    My reason for this question was to investigate the lifespan of this game as
    a MMORPG before they pull the plug. What is the general concensus about the
    viability of this product for the next few years? CoV is yet to be released
    and subscription rates for CoH have dropped rather significantly in only a
    few months. Will I4 help bring back old subscribers and create interest for
    potential new subscribers? Obviously the recent awards CoH have received by
    the Computer Gaming Press has not helped much.

    DC
    --
    8 Infinity Server 8
    Purple Kid - Lvl 28 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy
    SE-R - Lvl 21 - M - Science Blaster- Fire/Fire
    Smart Hulkster - Lvl 7 - Science Tanker - Invulnerability/War Mace
    Ursa Mjr - Lvl 10 - Mutant Controller - Mind Control/Storm Summoning
    7 of 8 - lvl 7 - Technology Defender - Force Field/ Radiation

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > In the early days, they all read heavy during prime time.
    > Virtue (as the unofficial roleplay server) read heavy for a few hours
    > before and after prime time as well.
    >
    > This seems to be the difference between Cryptic/NCPlay and Blizzard;
    > C/NCP actually put up enough servers to handle the expected load at
    > release and as they lost customers later, kept those servers up.
    > SO now we rarely see the dreaded red dot, and get mostly lag free play.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:35:22 GMT, Hawaii_SE-R <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:

    > Will I4 help bring back old subscribers and create interest for
    > potential new subscribers? Obviously the recent awards CoH have
    > received by the Computer Gaming Press has not helped much.

    Note that I4 introduces, in limited form, what's been considered to be
    a major missing element in the game--PVP battles. To a lot of people,
    that sort of thing is the chief appeal in an MMORPG.

    Just have to see how it goes...

    --
    Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
    Robotech_Master |
    | http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:35:22 GMT, Hawaii_SE-R <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the response. After reviewing again the charts at
    > http://www.mmogchart.com which may or may not be very accurate, it seems
    > the
    > peak interest in CoH occured around August of 2004 with roughly 180,000
    > subscribers. Since then the subscription seems to have dropped to about
    > 125,000.
    >
    > With a 30% drop in subscribers, I would assume the servers that may have
    > once read heavy should now read moderate during peak, yet that is not
    > generally the case with all the servers. Could this be due to additional
    > new server space being made available since the days of heavy loads? Or
    > is
    > it the creation of new servers (this did happen right?) has helped to
    > spread
    > the load a bit more evenly?

    The highest load on the servers was in early summer, not in August.
    Server load does not depend just on the number of subscribers but on how
    long they play each day. Many players probably played gradually less but
    did not quit until they found a replacement game, which pretty clearly has
    been World of Warcraft.

    There was some upgrade of the servers also, but I can no longer remember
    the timing of that. There were no new servers, though. These have been
    there since release day.

    > My reason for this question was to investigate the lifespan of this game
    > as
    > a MMORPG before they pull the plug. What is the general concensus about
    > the
    > viability of this product for the next few years? CoV is yet to be
    > released
    > and subscription rates for CoH have dropped rather significantly in
    > only a
    > few months. Will I4 help bring back old subscribers and create interest
    > for
    > potential new subscribers? Obviously the recent awards CoH have
    > received by
    > the Computer Gaming Press has not helped much.

    The general consensus is that the game has come to stay. World of Warcraft
    was a wildcard, and still is. It took players from all existing MMOGs, but
    also drew in new players who had not advanced beyond The Sims before.
    Some of these may spread into neighboring games, of which CoH is
    definitely one... both CoH and WoW are fast-paced games with less weight
    on creating balanced groups. Depending on the publicity and timing for
    City of Villains, it could draw in some of those people.
    Then there is the Marvel superhero MMORPG, still in planning. It is also a
    total wildcard. If it is awesome, it could spell the end for CoH. It is
    hard to see how it could be technically superior to CoH, but you never
    know. Perhaps it can be played on both PC, Xbox and Playstation, for
    instance... that would certainly give it an edge.

    Or some game could come out with integrated speech recognition, and sweep
    the floor with all the rest. Speech recognition software is just now
    reaching the level where it can be used by amateurs (Dragon
    NaturallySpeaking 8 by Scansoft transcribes everyday speech with ca 98%
    accuracy after some hours of training). Given a year more progress, it is
    possible to imagine a sufficiently rich company (Sony or Microsoft)
    integrating speech recognition in a MMORPG. This would end the world as we
    know it.

    And finally, either Cryptic or their competitors could make a strategic
    mistake, like Mythic did with Dark Age of Camelot expansion pack Trials of
    Atlantis, which antagonized many of their core players and preceded a
    massive exodus. Despite great improvements to the game later, DAoC is
    still slowly fading. "The future is notoriously hard to predict."

    good sign." -G
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Thanks for the response. After reviewing again the charts at
    >http://www.mmogchart.com which may or may not be very accurate, it seems the
    >peak interest in CoH occured around August of 2004 with roughly 180,000
    >subscribers. Since then the subscription seems to have dropped to about
    >125,000.
    >
    >With a 30% drop in subscribers, I would assume the servers that may have
    >once read heavy should now read moderate during peak, yet that is not
    >generally the case with all the servers. Could this be due to additional
    >new server space being made available since the days of heavy loads? Or is
    >it the creation of new servers (this did happen right?) has helped to spread
    >the load a bit more evenly?

    I think there was one "latecomer" server - Triumph, that had been used
    for something else before and was added to the main pool a couple weeks
    after the rest.

    The other thing that has to be considered is that each "server", isn't
    _A_ machine, it's a cluster of machines. There was a writeup about this
    in some online magazine or newspaper, though I forget now which.

    I'm guessing that this is/was scalable to some extent, with more
    hardware being able to be added to a "server" if necessary.

    This kind of thing is what GOOD design is all about.

    >My reason for this question was to investigate the lifespan of this game as
    >a MMORPG before they pull the plug. What is the general concensus about the
    >viability of this product for the next few years? CoV is yet to be released
    >and subscription rates for CoH have dropped rather significantly in only a
    >few months. Will I4 help bring back old subscribers and create interest for
    >potential new subscribers? Obviously the recent awards CoH have received by
    >the Computer Gaming Press has not helped much.

    There were quite a few people who played CoH simply because it was
    there, not because they were into it. Quite a few people said they
    were just killing time until EQ2 and/or WoW came out.

    I don't think Cryptic will have any trouble with remaining viable -
    they've got a good, solid, fun product, and they come out with regular
    updates, so even if you get bored, they'll soon have something coming
    that will likely respark your interest.

    That is of course, if you were playing CoH because you wanted to play
    CoH, not just marking time waiting for something else.

    One thing I have noticed over the months - there's a hell of a lot fewer
    griefers and general ASSHAT players since the kiddies and Battlenet
    types all flocked to WoW.

    125,000 subscribers who play for fun and general enjoyment is better
    than 180,000 that screw around with other players, kill steal, make
    Marvel clones and obscene named heroes and generally act like jerks.

    Yeah, they pay money too, but they also generate a lot of traffic for
    the GMs, customer support and the forums.

    Some people just don't pay nearly ENOUGH to be worth keeping as a
    customer.

    Xocyll
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > With a 30% drop in subscribers, I would assume the servers that may have
    > once read heavy should now read moderate during peak, yet that is not
    > generally the case with all the servers. Could this be due to additional
    > new server space being made available since the days of heavy loads? Or
    is
    > it the creation of new servers (this did happen right?) has helped to
    spread
    > the load a bit more evenly?

    What happened to spread the load was EQ2 and WoW coming out in late 2004.
    Theres no question those two games dented the CoH population by -at least-
    30%. Plus GTA SA & Halo2 & others all came out at the same time. I
    personally watched my supergroup of 75 people loose roughly 50% of its
    members from people who were level 50 and on their 3rd and 4th alts. These
    high level people were just ITCHING for WoW or EQ2 to come out.

    But CoH has made a great impression with many many people but the problem
    is/was it doesnt have enough content. We all loved the game but just got
    bored very quickly. I know myself and many of my ex-sg intend to return once
    CoV hits the shelves. How long we'll stay this time really depends on ncsoft

    > My reason for this question was to investigate the lifespan of this game
    as
    > a MMORPG before they pull the plug. What is the general concensus about
    the
    > viability of this product for the next few years?

    If they keep releasing new content this game could live on for many many
    years, even decades. It has amazing potential as an MMORPG, it was just too
    shallow & lacking in content. There was no high end game. But CoV will bring
    a huge surge of people back into the game and if they were smart they'd be
    prepared to follow it up with huge content releases & high-end amusement in
    the weeks / months after CoV to keep people hooked.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thus spake "TripTych" <Spam@Spam.com>, Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:30:03 -0500, Anno
    Domini:

    >If they keep releasing new content this game could live on for many many
    >years, even decades. It has amazing potential as an MMORPG, it was just too
    >shallow & lacking in content. There was no high end game. But CoV will bring
    >a huge surge of people back into the game and if they were smart they'd be

    The thing you're missing here, is that these ppl are probably not the kind
    of ppl most of us who were loyal & stayed behind *want* to come back. Yeah,
    just what we need: more pker/ganker/l33t d00dz/Asian gamer mentality in
    what's essentially a PvE game... *huge Shrek sigh*

    >prepared to follow it up with huge content releases & high-end amusement in
    >the weeks / months after CoV to keep people hooked.

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:37:07 +1000, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
    wrote:
    > Thus spake "TripTych" <Spam@Spam.com>, Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:30:03 -0500,
    > Anno Domini:
    >
    >> If they keep releasing new content this game could live on for many many
    >> years, even decades. It has amazing potential as an MMORPG, it was just
    >> too
    >> shallow & lacking in content. There was no high end game. But CoV will
    >> bring
    >> a huge surge of people back into the game and if they were smart they'd
    >> be
    >
    > The thing you're missing here, is that these ppl are probably not the
    > kind
    > of ppl most of us who were loyal & stayed behind *want* to come back.
    > Yeah,
    > just what we need: more pker/ganker/l33t d00dz/Asian gamer mentality in
    > what's essentially a PvE game... *huge Shrek sigh*

    I feel pretty sure most of them will play villains, fairly exclusively. I
    don't expect to see them at all, as I have no intention of raiding villain
    bases no matter what kind of "loot" they may have.

    good sign." -G
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    >> just what we need: more pker/ganker/l33t d00dz/Asian gamer mentality in
    >> what's essentially a PvE game... *huge Shrek sigh*

    Don't know who wrote this but I'd like to know one thing: What is the
    "Asian gamer mentality" referring to?

    ~T.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
    > ...they see no ethical issue with pking (if the game permits it), even
    > when you try to explain it to them.

    I have no idea what "pking" is. Humor this old non-gamer...?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 28 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@nodgathspam.kom> wrote:
    >Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
    >> ...they see no ethical issue with pking (if the game permits it), even
    >> when you try to explain it to them.
    >
    >I have no idea what "pking" is. Humor this old non-gamer...?

    Player Killing.

    -R

    --
    Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
    http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

    Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

    >>Don't know who wrote this but I'd like to know one thing: What is the
    >>"Asian gamer mentality" referring to?
    >>
    >>~T.
    >
    > I did. As a gross generalisation, the Asian cultural propensity for

    Thanks. Having played a free Korean MMORPG a few times I was almost
    sure you meant this.

    ~T.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Rob Wynne <doc@america.net> wrote:
    >>I have no idea what "pking" is. Humor this old non-gamer...?

    > Player Killing.

    If PvP is part of the game, when is "PKing" a bad thing? Don't games have
    adequate protection against inappropriate "murder"?

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 28 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:17:34 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    > If PvP is part of the game, when is "PKing" a bad thing? Don't
    > games have adequate protection against inappropriate "murder"?

    Not every game separates PVP and PVE as clearly as City of Heroes.
    Some games don't have such adequate protections.

    --
    Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
    Robotech_Master |
    robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
    | http://www.terrania.us/conga.html
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Don't know who wrote this but I'd like to know one thing: What is the
    > "Asian gamer mentality" referring to?

    This, maybe:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7341316/

    Yikes.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thus spake Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>, Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:15:55
    GMT, Anno Domini:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:17:34 -0000, Shenanigunner
    ><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    >
    >> If PvP is part of the game, when is "PKing" a bad thing? Don't
    >> games have adequate protection against inappropriate "murder"?
    >
    >Not every game separates PVP and PVE as clearly as City of Heroes.
    >Some games don't have such adequate protections.

    Ala D2, UO & Lineage to name a few online ones. If you don't like it tough.
    And of course then there's the hacker/cheater scum who find software means
    to one-shot-kill you before you can even react.

    The point, Shenan, is that in most games, even if pking is 'controlled' in
    PvP by whatever mechanism, non-consentual PvP is never fair, because the PvP
    scumbag has likely optimised his build for just that, PvP, NOT PvE, & will
    thus likely cream you, whether you like it or not, usually at a much lower
    level than you as well, to add insult to injury. Yeah, even if there is some
    protection, I just love 13 yr olds calling me a 'gutless pussy' or 'losa'
    cause I won't PvP with them after they've just pked my 50th lvl teammate
    with their 30th level pkscum char. :-/

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thus spake Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com>, 30 Mar 2005 22:10:36
    GMT, Anno Domini:

    >Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
    >
    >>>Don't know who wrote this but I'd like to know one thing: What is the
    >>>"Asian gamer mentality" referring to?
    >>>
    >>>~T.
    >>
    >> I did. As a gross generalisation, the Asian cultural propensity for

    >Thanks. Having played a free Korean MMORPG a few times I was almost
    >sure you meant this.
    >
    >~T.

    Yeah, I've been pked a couple times in D2 by Asians, who were even 'nice'
    about it - gave me back my gear that they didn't need even after
    corpse-popping me (early days - I was a noob ;-); they would continue to
    chat in their broken english trying to be friendly & explain to me how they
    got me, where my 'mistake' was. On one occasion in hardcore, one guy who got
    me (legit pk - no cheating as far as I could see) wanted to show me how to
    make a 'killa' pk char after the fact...& all I wanted to do was cut off his
    balls. :) Takes all sorts...

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > Yeah, I've been pked a couple times in D2 by Asians, who were even 'nice'
    > about it - gave me back my gear that they didn't need even after
    > corpse-popping me (early days - I was a noob ;-); they would continue to
    > chat in their broken english trying to be friendly & explain to me how
    > they
    > got me, where my 'mistake' was. On one occasion in hardcore, one guy who
    > got
    > me (legit pk - no cheating as far as I could see) wanted to show me how to
    > make a 'killa' pk char after the fact...& all I wanted to do was cut off
    > his
    > balls. :) Takes all sorts...

    Hey Nostromo,

    didn't know you were here from D2 as well... :)

    I would like to see a hardcore toon in CoH, that would make getting to lvl
    50 really mean something; lol.

    -Will
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Will Lutz" <wlutz@sfr-inc.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >> Yeah, I've been pked a couple times in D2 by Asians, who were even 'nice'
    >> about it - gave me back my gear that they didn't need even after
    >> corpse-popping me (early days - I was a noob ;-); they would continue to
    >> chat in their broken english trying to be friendly & explain to me how
    >> they
    >> got me, where my 'mistake' was. On one occasion in hardcore, one guy who
    >> got
    >> me (legit pk - no cheating as far as I could see) wanted to show me how to
    >> make a 'killa' pk char after the fact...& all I wanted to do was cut off
    >> his
    >> balls. :) Takes all sorts...
    >
    > Hey Nostromo,
    >
    >didn't know you were here from D2 as well... :)
    >
    >I would like to see a hardcore toon in CoH, that would make getting to lvl
    >50 really mean something; lol.

    Yeah, it would mean you were pl'd by non-hardcore toons.

    I'd say there's ZERO chance to get to level 50 without dying if you're
    actually playing, if for no reason other than Cryptic's Fondness for
    cheesy cheap shot using villain bosses.

    Oh look a new enemy, zap, he hits you for 5x your max hp.

    Xocyll
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Thus spake "Will Lutz" <wlutz@sfr-inc.com>, Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:58:05 -0600,
    Anno Domini:

    >> Yeah, I've been pked a couple times in D2 by Asians, who were even 'nice'
    >> about it - gave me back my gear that they didn't need even after
    >> corpse-popping me (early days - I was a noob ;-); they would continue to
    >> chat in their broken english trying to be friendly & explain to me how
    >> they
    >> got me, where my 'mistake' was. On one occasion in hardcore, one guy who
    >> got
    >> me (legit pk - no cheating as far as I could see) wanted to show me how to
    >> make a 'killa' pk char after the fact...& all I wanted to do was cut off
    >> his
    >> balls. :) Takes all sorts...
    >
    > Hey Nostromo,
    >
    >didn't know you were here from D2 as well... :)
    >
    >I would like to see a hardcore toon in CoH, that would make getting to lvl
    >50 really mean something; lol.
    >
    >-Will

    Ever the maso ey Will? ;-p

    Good to see ya again, ya lurker above!

    (I hear most of the gang have succumbed to World of Wankers, no surprise
    there ;-)

    --
    No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
    Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
    I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in

    <snip>
    > ...and the devs who just don't get
    > the fact that communication with the customers is VITAL. I'd say that
    > last one was an even bigger issue than the community.

    Now I see often enough on the oficial forums about how awesome the CoH devs
    are with their communication with the players. Seeing as how CoH is my
    first MMORPG, are they that much better??

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    On 31 Mar 2005 15:57:10 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in
    >
    ><snip>
    >> ...and the devs who just don't get
    >> the fact that communication with the customers is VITAL. I'd say that
    >> last one was an even bigger issue than the community.
    >
    >Now I see often enough on the oficial forums about how awesome the CoH devs
    >are with their communication with the players. Seeing as how CoH is my
    >first MMORPG, are they that much better??

    God, yes. The devs themselves post on the forums and respond directly
    to player posts. Even the farking LEAD DEV HIMSELF. CoH is Statesman's
    "baby", and he posts frequently on the forums answering questions,
    gathering feedback, and giving ideas of plans for the future. Compare
    that to WoW, where the only posts we get are from PR reps, one of whom
    is bending over backwards trying to wrestle more information out of
    the devs, not getting it, and getting raked over the coals on the
    forums for "not doing her job" (I feel really sorry for Caydiem). The
    "Community Managers" are the ones whose job it is to pass on info to
    the players, and they're simply not getting nearly enough.

    I hear EQ2 is almost as good as CoH on dev communication. But, if it's
    true, it's probably because they learned from Cryptic and the mistakes
    in EQ1 (Where dev communication is still lacking).

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > God, yes. The devs themselves post on the forums and respond directly
    > to player posts. Even the farking LEAD DEV HIMSELF....
    <snip>

    Thanks. Good to see that I made the right choice for MMORPG to start out
    with. Although I wonder if this will sour me on all other ones.

    --
    Marcel
    http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:59:53 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    >"Will Lutz" <wlutz@sfr-inc.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >
    >>I would like to see a hardcore toon in CoH, that would make getting to lvl
    >>50 really mean something; lol.
    >
    >Yeah, it would mean you were pl'd by non-hardcore toons.
    >
    >I'd say there's ZERO chance to get to level 50 without dying if you're
    >actually playing, if for no reason other than Cryptic's Fondness for
    >cheesy cheap shot using villain bosses.

    Not just level 50, I think you've got about 0% chance of making it to
    level 12 without being killed by a Bone Daddy at least once.

    >Oh look a new enemy, zap, he hits you for 5x your max hp.

    Or instantly chain-stuns or immobilises you. Eidolons come as a nasty
    surprise the first time you meet them.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Or instantly chain-stuns or immobilises you. Eidolons come as a nasty
    > surprise the first time you meet them.

    "Oh, look, there's some weird ninja guys with those Vaaaaaa...!"

    Eidolons. Sorcerers. Green Ink Men. Consiglieres. I will stop on my way to
    a timed mission to whap lowbies of any of these types, just from
    accumulated spite.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 8 Science Scrapper, Dark/Regen, M =-
    -= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
    -= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Greg Johnson <greg.gsj@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:59:53 -0500, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Will Lutz" <wlutz@sfr-inc.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >>the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >>
    >>>I would like to see a hardcore toon in CoH, that would make getting to lvl
    >>>50 really mean something; lol.
    >>
    >>Yeah, it would mean you were pl'd by non-hardcore toons.
    >>
    >>I'd say there's ZERO chance to get to level 50 without dying if you're
    >>actually playing, if for no reason other than Cryptic's Fondness for
    >>cheesy cheap shot using villain bosses.
    >
    >Not just level 50, I think you've got about 0% chance of making it to
    >level 12 without being killed by a Bone Daddy at least once.

    Well you could just not fight Bone Daddies.

    >>Oh look a new enemy, zap, he hits you for 5x your max hp.
    >
    >Or instantly chain-stuns or immobilises you. Eidolons come as a nasty
    >surprise the first time you meet them.

    Ayep, and that kind of thing gets worse the higher you go.

    Just look at all the unresistable psionic attacks in the 40+ game.

    Maybe, just maybe, if you were totally knowledgeable about the game,
    played something resistant to everything - maybe a well built regen
    scrapper, always grouped with a couple healers devoted to
    healing/buffing, a bubbler, you and a tanker who would always take the
    heat, and simply avoided every single enemy type who _might_ kill you,
    maybe you could get to 50.

    But in the end _you_ wouldn't be getting to 50, a group would be
    dragging your ass to 50.

    Even then a bad lag spike or unexpected cheap-shot mob (see the psychic
    clockwork king's psychic wail for a PERFECT example of this) could still
    kill you.

    Xocyll
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll wrote:

    > But in the end _you_ wouldn't be getting to 50, a group would be
    > dragging your ass to 50.

    I was going to say that this topic came up in serverwide chat on Test, and
    someone said "there is an entire breed of players that get to 50 without
    dying...they are called PLers."

    --
    Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
    #include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

    "And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
    when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    > Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Don't know who wrote this but I'd like to know one thing: What is the
    >> "Asian gamer mentality" referring to?
    >
    > This, maybe:
    >
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7341316/
    >
    > Yikes.

    ?

    I see only an empty page.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:23:37 -0800, Dark Tyger
    <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >On 31 Mar 2005 15:57:10 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>> ...and the devs who just don't get
    >>> the fact that communication with the customers is VITAL. I'd say that
    >>> last one was an even bigger issue than the community.
    >>
    >>Now I see often enough on the oficial forums about how awesome the CoH devs
    >>are with their communication with the players. Seeing as how CoH is my
    >>first MMORPG, are they that much better??
    >
    >God, yes. The devs themselves post on the forums and respond directly
    >to player posts. Even the farking LEAD DEV HIMSELF. CoH is Statesman's
    >"baby", and he posts frequently on the forums answering questions,
    >gathering feedback, and giving ideas of plans for the future. Compare
    >that to WoW, where the only posts we get are from PR reps, one of whom
    >is bending over backwards trying to wrestle more information out of
    >the devs, not getting it, and getting raked over the coals on the
    >forums for "not doing her job" (I feel really sorry for Caydiem). The
    >"Community Managers" are the ones whose job it is to pass on info to
    >the players, and they're simply not getting nearly enough.
    >
    >I hear EQ2 is almost as good as CoH on dev communication. But, if it's
    >true, it's probably because they learned from Cryptic and the mistakes
    >in EQ1 (Where dev communication is still lacking).
    If EQ2 is almost as good as CoH, then its changed a heck of a lot
    since I left the game. If I send a petition in CoH, I get pretty
    quick responses -- depending on the nature of the petitoin, I'll
    either get an e-mail witin a day or two, or I'll get contacted
    in-game, ususually within 20 minutes to an hour (that's for mission
    problems). In EQ2, I kept complaining about possible broken quests (I
    wasn't suire if I was doing something wrong or if the quest was
    actually broken), broken zones, borken npcs, etc. The only way I ever
    would get an answer would be if I did a zone-wide broadcast asking if
    anyone knew if the quest/npc/zone was broken or not. I NEVER got an
    answer from anyone connected with SOE itself.. Similarly, I had
    problems with my account and the website, and again, I never heard
    from them.

    Note that this wasn't the main reason why I left eq2, but it
    certainly didn't help. The main reason I left was that I didn't like
    the EQ2 community over all.. The game had good things and bad things
    about it, but for the most part, didn't have the natural feel that you
    get in CoH. What I mean is, when you fight in CoH, you really have
    the feeling of a dynamic combat, leaping over foes heads, etc. In
    EQ2, it felt mree like you were playing an abstract game with
    arbitrary effects (called Heroic Opportunities), and I felt more like
    I was playing whackamole, then actually fighting. Also, on my pc, lag
    was awful in city zones, even when the zones were empty, plus grpahics
    were so bad (because I had to turn everything off) that everyone had a
    solid grey face, and solid grey costumes. Graphics are not a big
    thing to me (My first computer games were hunt the wumpus and
    Adventure on a teletype printer -- no CRT).. But still, all the hype
    about 'how good the game looks' were lost on me.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:34:31 GMT, Graham Zaretsky
    <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:

    >If EQ2 is almost as good as CoH, then its changed a heck of a lot
    >since I left the game. If I send a petition in CoH, I get pretty
    >quick responses

    ....when did I say anything about petitions?

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:18:10 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

    >Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    >> Thomas Adams <thomas.o.adams@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> Don't know who wrote this but I'd like to know one thing: What is the
    >>> "Asian gamer mentality" referring to?
    >>
    >> This, maybe:
    >>
    >> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7341316/
    >>
    >> Yikes.
    >
    >?
    >
    >I see only an empty page.

    Try Google news with the phrase "online gamer", and the first few
    articles are about it.
    A Chinese gamer lent a friend a weapon they had recently obtained in
    the game _Legends of Mir 3_. The friend then sold it to someone else for
    cash. After being told by the police that it wasn't a real crime because
    it wasn't real property, he allegedly stabbed his friend in the chest,
    killing him.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:34:31 GMT, Graham Zaretsky
    > <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
    >
    >>If EQ2 is almost as good as CoH, then its changed a heck of a lot
    >>since I left the game. If I send a petition in CoH, I get pretty
    >>quick responses
    >
    > ...when did I say anything about petitions?

    ....He's using them merely as an example of improvement in customer service
    from one game to another...

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    CGI / Database / Web Management Tools: http://www.internalysis.com

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:02:19 GMT, Marc Bissonnette
    <dragnet@internalysis.com> wrote:

    >Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:34:31 GMT, Graham Zaretsky
    >> <grahamz@ameritech.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If EQ2 is almost as good as CoH, then its changed a heck of a lot
    >>>since I left the game. If I send a petition in CoH, I get pretty
    >>>quick responses
    >>
    >> ...when did I say anything about petitions?
    >>

    >...He's using them merely as an example of improvement in customer service
    >from one game to another...

    Again, what does that have to do with the post he was responding to? I
    was speaking only of communication with the customers from the company
    itself. On the forums, you see a lot of information coming out of the
    EQ2 reps. A HUGE step above Blizzard's forums.

    God, can't even convince Blizzard to come up with a dev tracker that
    works and a forum that doesn't auto-boot you every 15 minutes rather
    than allowing a persistent login like any other sane forum does.

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

    Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
    http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

Games Servers Video Games