Sign in with
Your question

Linux Ubuntu server distro questions

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 23, 2012 7:31:54 AM

Starting off with Ubuntu as my first server distro and as a personal project I would like to setup a personal server that can have a wordpress like layout, but can also download/upload files (mp3s / txt files etc).

I did a little bit of research and I installed Ubuntu server distro 11.04 onto my laptop. What should I do now? Where do I even begin?

-How do I gain access to my server from anywhere?
-How do I secure it?
-How do I move and manage files?
-How do I manage the server itself?
May 23, 2012 2:53:49 PM

Honestly at this point you might as well try your hand at searching/reading the ubuntu/arch/gentoo wiki's + google. There is entirely too much information for us to paste in here for you. I'm quite sure the first few hits on google would answer all your questions.

Please don't ask "how do i manage my server?"
If you have a more specific question, then feel free to ask!
May 23, 2012 7:19:16 PM

Sobaz3, Servers are nothing like a OS make sure you know what your diving into here.

-How do I gain access to my server from anywhere? Setup remote systems like SSH for local internet. If you want to do it form anywhere it would help to have a static IP or sign up for a DNS service.

-How do I secure it? Same as any use firewall and file permissions. You can edit the security of files to allow certain groups/people to access it.

-How do I move and manage files? You do this from the command prompt. Look up Linux commands like "mv" is for move. see here
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ug...

-How do I manage the server itself? Well this depends on what you want to do. like below.

Web server - install apache and build your website, monitor your apache service/ect..
Email server - setup sendmail function and monitor usage/hd space.

So first of all you need to decide what this server is going to be fore and then look up some basic linux commands.

Hope this helps.

Here is a great book on Amazon that would help you get started

http://www.amazon.com/The-Official-Ubuntu-Server-Book/d...

Related resources
May 25, 2012 5:14:33 AM

sobaz3,

just out of curiosity, why did you install 11.04 when 12.04 LTS is out? You will want to use SSH to access your server remotely, and you can use SSH -X to forward X Window calls so you can run nautilus for example and manage your files remotely using the gui instead of using the command line with mv and cp commands.
May 26, 2012 4:08:36 AM

c911darkwolf said:
Sobaz3, Servers are nothing like a OS make sure you know what your diving into here.

-How do I gain access to my server from anywhere? Setup remote systems like SSH for local internet. If you want to do it form anywhere it would help to have a static IP or sign up for a DNS service.

-How do I secure it? Same as any use firewall and file permissions. You can edit the security of files to allow certain groups/people to access it.

-How do I move and manage files? You do this from the command prompt. Look up Linux commands like "mv" is for move. see here
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ug...

-How do I manage the server itself? Well this depends on what you want to do. like below.

Web server - install apache and build your website, monitor your apache service/ect..
Email server - setup sendmail function and monitor usage/hd space.

So first of all you need to decide what this server is going to be fore and then look up some basic linux commands.

Hope this helps.

Here is a great book on Amazon that would help you get started

http://www.amazon.com/The-Official-Ubuntu-Server-Book/d...

What is the difference between ubuntu and other linux distros like gentoo and debian? Do they require much more setup than ubuntu? Or is it just difficulty in terms of the different commands between the distros?
May 26, 2012 4:58:29 AM

Ubuntu is based on debian, while gentoo is a different beast altogether. you must compile programs from source with gentoo
May 26, 2012 6:00:27 AM

sobaz3 said:
What is the difference between ubuntu and other linux distros like gentoo and debian? Do they require much more setup than ubuntu? Or is it just difficulty in terms of the different commands between the distros?

The commands are all pretty similar. It's the configuration & implementation that's where the differences lie. Each distro is governed by the philosophy of the team that created it. They had their own vision and needs, so that's what their distro was built to be.

Ubuntu and Gentoo are at two absolute ends of the spectrum in terms of philosophy. I'm not sure it's possible to find two distros farther apart than those two.

In the end what it comes down to is personal preferences and suitability for the task.
May 26, 2012 1:41:49 PM

wombat_tg said:
The commands are all pretty similar. It's the configuration & implementation that's where the differences lie. Each distro is governed by the philosophy of the team that created it. They had their own vision and needs, so that's what their distro was built to be.

Ubuntu and Gentoo are at two absolute ends of the spectrum in terms of philosophy. I'm not sure it's possible to find two distros farther apart than those two.

In the end what it comes down to is personal preferences and suitability for the task.

What do you mean? Can you elaborate on this?
May 26, 2012 2:21:20 PM

Ubuntu's application come prepackaged and stored in the ubuntu repositories. with gentoo you download the source code for the applications and compile it yourself which is very time consuming. Since you are new to linux, I would recommend starting with Ubuntu 12.04
May 26, 2012 6:31:49 PM

sobaz3 said:
What do you mean? Can you elaborate on this?

Let's liken it to furniture. Let's say you're going to build a basic chest of drawers.

Ubuntu would be like going to IKEA. You have to put it together, but the holes are pre-drilled, you have all the hardware (screws, nuts, bolts so forth) bagged up and counted out for you, everything is pre-measured and you have a lovely set of detailed instructions. All you need to provide is a few screwdrivers, a wrench and a hammer. It's REALLY hard to make a mistake. It's also less easy to customize it to your specific needs.

Gentoo would be like seeing a picture on the 'net of the same set of drawers and a basic list of SUGGESTED materials (you want to use oak instead of pine? Okay. Just remember to adjust your screw size or drill bit accordingly) As to how to put it all together? That's up to you to decide and figure out. There's lots of information on how lots of other people have done it, but it's really up to YOU. YOU do the measuring, the cutting, the drilling of holes, the fitting of pieces. It's really easy to customize it to exactly how you want it (wood vs pine, eight drawers instead of seven) but really easy to screw the whole thing up and end up with a mess.

When it's all said and done you'll end up with about the same basic chest of drawers.

That's how you can think of a lot of Linux distros. They're all chests of drawers. They all do about the same thing. One might build you a nice set of drawers to go into your office for your files, the other for closet in which you put your dainties, the other for wrenches and drill bits out in the garage, but they all do the same basic task. You can get them pre-fabbed (Ubuntu) or from scratch (Gentoo) or something in between (CentOS or Debian).
!