New PC won't boot up windows

Korioni

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Alright, I now have all of my components, hooked up, and ready to go. I turn on the computer, enter the motherboard setup, hit F6 for optimized performance. I save and exit, it starts to load windows, fails, I click "start windows normally", it starts to load, then says "5 seconds till shutdown" and we start all over again. It does this every time, even if I start in safemode or the last working settings...

This is the first PC i've made myself and it's entirely possible that i've hooked something up wrong, or I'm simply missing something in the setup. You guys are kind of my last chance at fixing this myself before I go give PC Club 60+ bucks to fix it :roll: So any help at all would be very appreciated.

Note: I am using my old hard drives and CD drives, if this makes a difference.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Two things...

Go back into your BIOS setup and reset to defaults. Your hardware may not be able to take the optimized performance settings. You must start at default settings to ensure it works at least first.

Second, sorry but you cannot re-use your old OS ofter changing the motherboard. You will have to do at least a repair installation or a full clean install.

Korioni

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Tried it with default BIOS settings with the same result. Is it possible this is simply a matter of a pre-registered OS?

One more thing to note is that I have 3 Hard drives... I've tried all of them out as Master however all 3 have different reactions. 1 gets me to the formerly mentioned "windows failed" screen, another simply gives me a message saying that it's missing a NTLDR, and the last one repeats the number 99 throughout the screen.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Put just 1 hd in, and run the disk utility program from that maker. You want to format it before it gets to windows. Boot from the Winows CD and it should prompt you if you need to format, say yes and install Windows. Then you can format the other drives and re-use them also.

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
In the "will reboot in 5 seconds" window does it say anything about Remote Procedure Call? Or do you not even get into windows before this occurs?

Korioni

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
In the "will reboot in 5 seconds" window does it say anything about Remote Procedure Call? Or do you not even get into windows before this occurs?

I don't get into windows. It goes straight from "Start Windows normally" to restarting itself.

Will try it with a new version of windows today, thanks :)