Sign in with
Your question

Small distro for gaming

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
May 26, 2012 1:40:43 AM

hello. I have a few machines at home such as a laptop.

I was wondering if there is any small linux distros that have support for wine and would be capable of runing simple games stabely.

To save disk space and try out linux. I was thinking DSL but not sure if still supports. And I dont like puppy. But will still try it if you think

More about : small distro gaming

May 26, 2012 4:59:44 AM

any distro can do it. you should look into Lubuntu
m
l
May 26, 2012 3:33:57 PM

nhasian said:
any distro can do it. you should look into Lubuntu

Thanks but no thanks. I want an even smaller one. I was thinking of it taking about 1gb of hdd space.
m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2012 4:20:40 PM

deathrune said:
Thanks but no thanks. I want an even smaller one. I was thinking of it taking about 1gb of hdd space.

You're looking at one of the ultratiny distros like Puppy. There aren't very many that will squeeze onto that small of a space so your choices are limited (which can be good and bad)

How much RAM do you have? And what are "simple" games?
m
l
May 26, 2012 8:26:43 PM

wombat_tg said:
You're looking at one of the ultratiny distros like Puppy. There aren't very many that will squeeze onto that small of a space so your choices are limited (which can be good and bad)

How much RAM do you have? And what are "simple" games?

Alright, this is it.

I run 2 virtual machines to run garrys mod so 3 clients at a time and wanted to save on ram. Because I use about 7g out of 8 when i run those 3. And windows xp uses 3gb or space. I was interested in linux and thought that it could help

The other computer has 2gb of ram as well and a pentium 4 @3ghz

I was thinking of Arch but it's hard. And puppy always has errors
m
l
a b 5 Linux
June 1, 2012 5:11:15 AM

Probably want to look at a Base or even a Core (if familiar enough with command line) Install of something like antiX-M11; TinyCore also lives up to its name and is simple to add what a person may want to add to it (although truthfully I do not know a thing about Wine).
m
l
a b 5 Linux
June 1, 2012 9:13:03 AM

Perhaps Linux from scratch. :p 
m
l
June 1, 2012 9:16:29 AM

just to satisfy my curiosity as i'm not familiar with that game, why do you need to run 3 clients at a time?

deathrune said:
I run 2 virtual machines to run garrys mod so 3 clients at a time and wanted to save on ram. Because I use about 7g out of 8 when i run those 3.

m
l
June 1, 2012 10:18:44 AM

nhasian said:
just to satisfy my curiosity as i'm not familiar with that game, why do you need to run 3 clients at a time?

Since most likely anyone from steam is looking its because I play an RP server, you can buy the maximum of 2 drug plants which level up after time, then you sell it for the in game money.

More plants = more money. With using 2 extra clients I am able to buy 3 times the normal amount. Meaning I am very rich :lol: 

Being smart has its advantages, I know it is cheating but we deserve it for thinking of it.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
June 1, 2012 12:01:06 PM

Linux as a virtual bloom boost / NFT table / 1000W HPS???

Is there anything a Penguin can't be used for? ;) 
m
l
!