Now that I have the RAM, what mobo to buy for it?

Umagalis

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
new to "better" system parts i am.
not so new to system builds, but never overclocked......it is one I thought to avoid, for as long as I could.

now I have bought G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400 4-4-4-12,
I seem to be having trouble deciding what would be the most economical board to run it with.....

CHEAP is the key for now, until SLI or Crossfire boards go down a little in price....and the 8800GTX (or a soon to be seen ATI/AMD eqivalent) comes down in price as well, then I'll upgrade again and go SLI or Crossfire.

Umagalis

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Sorry! that was silly of me.....
I have an E6300, and for video, a 6600GT.....was a great card, but now i need better there too!
I may go SLI or Crossfire later, but I recently lost a job, so big upgrades are out, thats why I want a relatively cheap recommendation for a motherboard....seems to be the first on my list so far.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I have an E6300, and for video, a 6600GT.....was a great card, but now i need better there too!
I may go SLI or Crossfire later, but I recently lost a job, so big upgrades are out, thats why I want a relatively cheap recommendation for a motherboard....seems to be the first on my list so far.

Do you want to Overclock?

An easy recommendation is the Gigabyte GA965PDS3 Rev3.3 for around $130. This mobo can OC very well for not that much $$.

Give us more info, oh and also make sure your PSU is up to par.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1664322#1664322

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007

Sorry for your troubles my friend. I wish you good luck finding a new, better job. But even if you had the money, SLI or crossfire is not the way to go (in my humble opinion). You do not get double the performance of the single card, not even close to it. Normally when it is cheap enough to get a second card you find out that one single latest card can beat your sli config, hands tied behind its back.

I assume your 6600GT is pcie. If you are lacking funds you can overclock it maybe and hold to it tight until better days.
A cheaper alternative to the Gigabyte 965 DS3 rev 3.3 is the same board but rev 1.2. It has the same characteristics (a bit older sound controller and a bit older Gigabit ethernet), it has solid capacitors and is a good overclocker. Very stable too, for ~$30 less.

The Foxconn of the link is a very good, very stable product. For $99.99 -$20 rebate it is a value for money product.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186102
You might also want to check out this i965 mobo review and get more info:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2914&p=4

Post more info about your parts. It always helps in order not to overlook something important.

jda70

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I would also recommend the Gigabyte 965 DS3 rev 3.3.
However, G.Skill RAM is not supported RAM for that board
so you could well run into problems.