Ubuntu not recognizing wireless connection

sobaz3

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
So I installed Ubuntu server distro 12.04 and the wireless was working great. Then I wanted to install a GUI (GNOME) because I don't feel comfortable just staring at the terminal yet.

After I installed GNOME the wireless just stopped working.

My laptop uses a wifi link 5100 (vendor is intel).

My wifi was working perfectly fine on Ubuntu 12.04 (server) and then when I installed the GNOME GUI it stopped working...

In the upper right the Wired Network, disconnected, Wireless Networks, and device not managed are all greyed out....

Even when I go into network and go into wireless it won't let me type in the network name....

Help please.

sobaz3

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Still nothing. I can't seem to find the solution on Ubuntu's site either.

okay so you had the wireless setup and working at the terminal, then you installed gnome and wireless stopped working correct? Gnome comes with NetworkManager which is probably not working with your previous setup. So you'll want to figure if you want NetworkManager to manage your wireless network or not.

sobaz3

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

What else can manage my wireless network?

gdea73

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Other than restarting the network-manager service, I think you might need proprietary drivers for the chipset to work with that network manager. Strange that it worked before, however... well regardless, what wireless chipset are you using? Broadcom, Ralink, etc., often provide Linux drivers for their wireless chipsets, which enable additional functionality, i.e. hosting ad-hoc networks, which can't always be accomplished with open source firmware.