Wireless button not working - can I connect anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birtha

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2007
The wirless button on my Compaq Presario R3000 has stopped working - it just won't switch on. Is there any way I can connect to wirless internet without having to get the lap top repaired?

isal9

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
If you are talking about the button at the bottom right of your computer. Did you find your answer?

claaay

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Birtha has a wireless connection button to the left of the power button. I have one too. Many Compaqs have this button. When it works, it glows blue. My problem is that it stops working after a while. Pushing the button does not make the light come on. I must reboot and then it comes back on. The funny thing is that even though the wireless network connection icon in the tray says wireless connectivity is excellent, the light in the button is off and a browser says no connectivity. I reboot and the blue button lights up again and it's fine for a while. Anyone know anything about this?

G

I too have a similar problem. Had my notebook less than 6 months and already had the soft (not a switch) wireless button on my presario cq45 fail me. When I took it in to get repaired they restored factory settings and wiped my computer. Now the wireless button is staying orange (off) as opposed to blue (on) and this is despite the fact that the pop up icons in the bottom right corner are telling me that the wireless connection isn't working. There must be something causing this but I don't know what it is, and I'm not a favourite of having my laptop wiped again. Can anyone add some light to why this happens?

claaay

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
My problem with the button and a host of other annoying problems that had been bothering me for a year finally went away. The hard drive crashed. I took it to someone who put a new hard drive in it and now it's working like the day it was born. Wish I could shed more light on it than this, but I have no ideas why a hard drive that is going bad over a long period of time might cause poltergeist-like problems.

peter the helper

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
HOPE this will work you may open your WI-fi by clicking the wifi icon in your task bar and when you click it you will see the ''wifi on or off'' and when when you see it click the wifi on and your WIfi button will work again GOD bless you :)

sonny bill

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011

I have one physical on/off switch.

Moses Ntam

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

I had a similar problem with my dm6 HP laptop. It turns out the device manager on my laptop had disabled the WIFI adapter. After opening device manager and enabling the wifi adapter, my wifi toggle key is now working flawlessly again. Hope this is helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.