Not sure if my hardware is compatible with linux

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Compatibility
  • Linux
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 11, 2012 5:25:08 PM

Hallo :) 

I recently bought some parts for a pc (lastnight actually), and don't have an operating system for it.
I am considering linux as it is free, and would like to know more about how it works. Eventually, I would hopefully dual boot or install W7 over it (the pc is for gaming, although most of the parts are missing).

But I am not sure if my PC will be compatible with it. I have looked up hardware compatibility lists and my parts aren't on there.
Is there any way I would be able to get them to work?

Here are the specs:

Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Intel Core i5 3570K
128GB Crucial M4
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 RAM
Corsair HX 850W Modular Power Supply

More about : hardware compatible linux

a b 5 Linux
June 11, 2012 5:47:46 PM

It'll work. But you'll not find it easy making a gaming machne running Linux.
June 11, 2012 6:01:45 PM

Ijack said:
It'll work. But you'll not find it easy making a gaming machne running Linux.

I know. That's why I said I'd eventually use W7. But my PC isn't for gaming yet, I don't have enough money for a graphics card so until I can afford one it will just be general use.

And what distro would work?
I thought my hardware wasn't compatible.

Thanks for the reply :) 
Related resources
June 11, 2012 9:06:09 PM

Congrats on your new computer. yes all your components will work fine with linux. any distribution will work fine. If you are new to linux give Ubuntu or Fedora a try. make sure to get the 64bit version. Installation is really easy too. you will be impressed :) 
a b 5 Linux
June 12, 2012 11:07:35 AM

Having just gotten round to playing with Ubuntu 12.04 in a VM last night I was staggered by how streamlined the install now is. Having cut my teeth on 6.xx and not really used it since 10.xx I've got to say it's one thing they seem to have gotten very right.
a b 5 Linux
June 12, 2012 11:50:08 AM

I find that installation of most distros is pretty slick nowadays. My disappointment with Ubuntu starts once I have finished the install. But that's just me.
a b 5 Linux
June 12, 2012 12:46:28 PM

No it's not. I'd really not tried Unity for much more than a quick look until the last couple of days. I've now concluded that Metro is not the worst UI ever, although it does come a close second.

It's come to something that I'm seriously wondering about trying OS X.
June 12, 2012 1:42:25 PM

must be a KDE user. haha

audiovoodoo said:
No it's not. I'd really not tried Unity for much more than a quick look until the last couple of days. I've now concluded that Metro is not the worst UI ever, although it does come a close second..

a b 5 Linux
June 12, 2012 2:01:43 PM

No, just somebody who did a bit of reading on HCI back in my student days and worked with a couple of people that went on to lecture in the subject.

Unity is not without merit. On a small screen or touch device I can see it working, as a desktop OS no way. Same as many people see Metro. KDE is coming back to credibility but is still trying to be half an OS rather than just a WM.
a b 5 Linux
June 12, 2012 2:56:56 PM

Don't bother with OS X. It's really no different to what Linux is becoming in that respect. Both of them get in the way of doing things because they are pandering to the lowest common denominator.

But, then, I'm the sort of guy who thinks LFS is fun. Build yourself an LFS system using xfce4 as your desktop and you'll have no complaints.
!