n0meq

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
My hard drive crashed on my toshiba A75-S209 notebook. Big problem! I cannot locate my OS XP Home cd so that I can reinstall it on the new drive, although, the product key is affixed on the bottom of the notebook computer...Any recourse?
Another possibility, I do have the XP Pro OS cd that is installed on my desktop computer. Would it be possible to install that on the notebook??

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
n0meq

G

You can't use a XP Pro CD with a XP Home Product Key. You can purchase recovery disks from http://www.myrecoverycds.com/.

Grumpy

n0meq

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Ok, I probably should have clarified myself a little better, sorry... I do have the XP Pro product key, is it possible to install on the toshiba laptop??

Thanks

status1

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I don't see why xp pro cannot be installed if the product key is available
You may loose your installed programs but you should be able to install xp
As an alternative is you have space on the hard drive you can partition the hard drive and you can install xp on a separate drive that way you can dual boot with the home edition and perhaps fix it

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
If its pro retail, The genuine product verification will flag you and stop sending you updates and you will get the little popup that says you are not running a genuine product. Because if it is installed on another box that one has already claimed that key. OEM keys are tied to the particular box period. Volume keys are a different animal and you can read about them at MS website. Depends on which pro key you have.