XP activation removal tool

May 25, 2005 2:19:48 AM

Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day reminder
and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the future
if it has never been activated.
Thanks

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31
May 25, 2005 2:19:49 AM

No it doesn't work! They are likely selling illegal, pirated
versions of Windows XP. Those illegal versions will not
entitle one to updates from the Windows Update web site.

How to Report Microsoft Software Piracy
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ben H" wrote:

| Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day reminder
| and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
| Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the future
| if it has never been activated.
| Thanks
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 2:19:49 AM

Hi Ben,

Those tools are well known, and you will find that you will not be able to
update the system properly if you use them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
> Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
> reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
> Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
> future
> if it has never been activated.
> Thanks
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
> Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

May 25, 2005 11:37:16 AM

They may cause you a lot of grief. You could find yourself unable to boot
your system to the Desktop after any Windows Update installs. While it is
extremely unlikely that Microsoft will take legal action against a home user
they will certainly do so against a dealer. I find it unusual that any
dealer would take such a risk at losing their business.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
> Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
> reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
> Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
> future if it has never been activated.
> Thanks
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
> Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

May 25, 2005 6:48:16 PM

Microsoft is supposed to have a new way to keep invalid copies from
updating. Also when you have an invalid copy - support is no longer
available.

Locke

"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
> Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
> reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
> Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
> future if it has never been activated.
> Thanks
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
> Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

May 25, 2005 6:48:17 PM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:48:16 -0500, "Locke" <this@that.com> wrote:

>Microsoft is supposed to have a new way to keep invalid copies from
>updating. Also when you have an invalid copy - support is no longer
>available.
>
>Locke
>
>"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>> Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
>> reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
>> Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
>> future if it has never been activated.
>> Thanks
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
>> Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

There's also the Windows Genuine Advantage.
How's it supposed to work? Is it enforced at the download
stage only? What's to stop users downloading the
enhancements/fixes from a second PC running windows 98?

Dave
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 11:45:27 PM

"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote:

>Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day reminder
>and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
>Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the future
>if it has never been activated.
>Thanks

If I were to encounter a dealer doing this I would run, not walk, out
of that store, and another for another dealer with at least some
degree of honesty and integrity.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:07:07 AM

why not just activate? Saves you a whole heap of trouble. If you're
talking about OEM vendors selling PC's with Windows installed, then it's
likely they've already activated Windows before you get the PC.

Anything else they do is illegal.

"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
> Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
> reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
> Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
> future if it has never been activated.
> Thanks
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
> Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

May 26, 2005 2:08:11 AM

instead of worrying about 'if it works' I'd report those who do it to
Microsoft, or to the FBI or local authority.