XP activation removal tool

Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day reminder
and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the future
if it has never been activated.
Thanks

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31
More about activation removal tool

    No it doesn't work! They are likely selling illegal, pirated
    versions of Windows XP. Those illegal versions will not
    entitle one to updates from the Windows Update web site.

    How to Report Microsoft Software Piracy
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ben H" wrote:

    | Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day reminder
    | and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
    | Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the future
    | if it has never been activated.
    | Thanks

    Hi Ben,

    Those tools are well known, and you will find that you will not be able to
    update the system properly if you use them.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    > Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
    > reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
    > Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
    > future
    > if it has never been activated.
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
    > Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

    They may cause you a lot of grief. You could find yourself unable to boot
    your system to the Desktop after any Windows Update installs. While it is
    extremely unlikely that Microsoft will take legal action against a home user
    they will certainly do so against a dealer. I find it unusual that any
    dealer would take such a risk at losing their business.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    > Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
    > reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
    > Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
    > future if it has never been activated.
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
    > Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

    Microsoft is supposed to have a new way to keep invalid copies from
    updating. Also when you have an invalid copy - support is no longer
    available.

    Locke

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:48:16 -0500, "Locke" <this@that.com> wrote:

    >Microsoft is supposed to have a new way to keep invalid copies from
    >updating. Also when you have an invalid copy - support is no longer
    >available.
    >
    >Locke
    >
    >"Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >> Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
    >> reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
    >> Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
    >> future if it has never been activated.
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> ---
    >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
    >> Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
    >> Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

    There's also the Windows Genuine Advantage.
    How's it supposed to work? Is it enforced at the download
    stage only? What's to stop users downloading the
    enhancements/fixes from a second PC running windows 98?

    Dave

    "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote:

    >Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day reminder
    >and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
    >Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the future
    >if it has never been activated.
    >Thanks

    If I were to encounter a dealer doing this I would run, not walk, out
    of that store, and another for another dealer with at least some
    degree of honesty and integrity.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    why not just activate? Saves you a whole heap of trouble. If you're
    talking about OEM vendors selling PC's with Windows installed, then it's
    likely they've already activated Windows before you get the PC.

    Anything else they do is illegal.

    "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    > Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
    > reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
    > Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
    > future if it has never been activated.
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
    > Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

    instead of worrying about 'if it works' I'd report those who do it to
    Microsoft, or to the FBI or local authority.

    "Ben H" <benh@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    > Some dealers are selling CD's that remove the XP activation 30 day
    > reminder and allow you to run the OS as if it had been activated.
    > Does this work and is there likely to be any problems using XP in the
    > future if it has never been activated.
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed Virus free.
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0521-1, 24/05/2005
    > Tested on: 25/05/2005 23:21:31

Virus Microsoft Windows XP