Mainboard for Linux Fileserver

Krabat

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I am planing a fileserver which can be upgraded freely for my increasing storage demands although the fileserver is for home usage. Therefor I need a good recommendation for a server mainboard. In various benchmarks a dual xenon board is used, but that's too expensive for me. I'll try to go with the Core2Duo E6320 which seems to have good performance & pricing. Also, there should be a good linux driver support.

To sum up my requirements are the following:
- LGA775 socket
- Intel Chipset
- Linux driver support
- 1x PATA
- 6x SATA (internally)
- onboard graphics
- Gigabit LAN (1x or 2x)
- preferably a (good?)Raid controller onboard
- PCI Express (for an additional future raid card)

Any thoughts and recommandations are welcome.

kind regards,
Krabat

ComputerCustomizer

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
If you can afford it, get the Asus Striker Extreme. If you look on the compare prices section you can get it for about $310, and it would support an upgrade to a QX6700 if you later wanted. It has all of you requirements except for the PATA, but maybe you could get around that....
EDIT: It doesn't have onboard graphics, but you could buy a pci graphics card on ebay for as little as 15 bucks.

Krabat

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Thanks for the input, but besides the onboard graphics and the PATA which would be nice, but are not critically required, the Asus Striker Extreme also has the NVIDIA nForce® 680i SLI™ chipset. I prefer a chipset from Intel.

Besides that, I don't know if Linux "likes" some motherboard manufactors more than others. Any experience on that topic?