Building a ubuntu box

edsupp

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hi everyone, I need help with choosing parts for a ubuntu pc, of which I will be just using for standard office work, i.e. internet, word/spreadsheet, and occasionally using gimp and google sketchup.

However, this is also my first time building a pc; I have assembled a pc before, but I am not the person who chooses the parts (I am unable to contact the person who chose it for me)

So, can anyone help me choose? I am especially conflicted on whether I should choose to use a graphics card, or is intel hd from sandy/ivy bridge enough for my needs? Also I need a wireless network adapter, what brands are supported very well? I'd be using 12.04 btw

edsupp

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks for the reply nhasian, but I'm looking building a desktop instead of buying one.

I'm thinking of this spec:

mobo
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=h61m-hvs

processor
http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/

will these be compatible with ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

I'd suspect it would run Linux fine, but that you'd be paying for some features that are Windows only and not work under Linux. Stuff like this:

Fully Optimize Memory Usage
Faster Internet Access
Boosts up your USB speed
5X Faster for
Photoshop Execution
XFast RAM will create a virtual disk from the system memory to boost the performance. For Photoshop, It can even perform 5X faster than before.

This just screams propitiatory and Windows only. Stuff like this is not an industry standard and therefore not something Linux is likely to support. As a general rule the more vanilla a chipset is the more likely it will work, special 'added value' bits less so.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Any Intel combo with a 2700-K processor and Z68 (ASUS, say or ASROCK) motherboard ought to do just fine with Linux. Those components are top-drawer "last generation" products that are both well tested and will remain highly functional for another five (5) years. Pick a motherboard that has a LARGE number of NewEgg purchases, so it's BIOS bugs have been crushed.

Beyond that it depends what's in your wallet. I'd advise 8-gig Crucial RAM, (SSD+1-T HDD) and almost any NVIDEA graphics card like the FG 550/560 Ti. The Hanns 28" is the std penny-pincher monitor and is brilliant!