Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Who wants a free 7900gt?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 24, 2007 1:08:42 PM

OK guys I have this spare video card that was my placeholder until I got my 8800.

It's got a zalman after-market heatsink on it, I habitually had it at 550mhz core with not one problem.

I have seen a few people around here that could desperately use an upgrade on the graphics front, but are college students, high school students, or are just plain too broke to afford one. So I will ship my 7900gt to whoever can prove that they need it the most.

A few limitations and suggestions..

1. I am not rich myself, so you have got to live in the US, unless you want to pay for shipping yourself.

2. Pictures of the inside of your old dusty rig will help, I truly feel pity in my heart when I see those. (if you have a handwritten note that says PETEvsDRM in the picture that would go a long way towards proving it is a real pic)

3. You can't be a rich guy who is just too lazy to upgrade, you have to have some reason why you can't get it yourself.

4. umm, I know this is kind of obvious, but you have to have a pci express slot....

EDIT:

I will ship it this weekend (26th May) to whoever wins.

More about : free 7900gt

a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2007 1:17:09 PM

Youre a good man, I hope whoever gets this will be happier than 10 cats in a sandbox 8O
May 24, 2007 1:48:55 PM

kewl

but how will u know if someone isnt just making all the stuff up to get hold of the card??

Someone can just make up a new account and then get a fake picture or something and make up some story.

need some other form of control aswell, like minimum 50 posts or something. still that doesnt really help much.
May 24, 2007 1:49:48 PM

Here is mine:

May 24, 2007 1:51:12 PM

Just a word of warning, make sure you get insurance when you ship it. I've had Fed Ex really bang up a computer I built for a charity, but since I neglected to get insurance, there was nothing I could do. Even though I packed the heck out of it, and the heat sink was ultra-secure (socket 478) hey must have dropped it several times because when the recipient got it, the heat sink was rattling around inside the case with the chip attached to it! Needless to say the chip was toast and the motherboard refused to boot even with a new chip.

I went round and round with Fed Ex but got no where in the end.

That said, kudos to you, that's a really nice thing to do. Good luck!
May 24, 2007 1:56:55 PM

Can you post some pictures of it?
ComputerCustomizer
May 24, 2007 1:58:07 PM

This is actually an interesting idea; I've got an old eVga Geforce 7800GT CO I might consider doing the same thing with. :) 
May 24, 2007 1:58:25 PM

Quote:
kewl

but how will u know if someone isnt just making all the stuff up to get hold of the card??

Someone can just make up a new account and then get a fake picture or something and make up some story.

need some other form of control aswell, like minimum 50 posts or something. still that doesnt really help much.


I may be kind of naive, but I am trusting people to be honest. Plus whoever gets it is going to have to convince me, just a sad story from a 10-post holder isn't going to do it. :lol: 
May 24, 2007 1:59:11 PM

That computer doesn't even have a PCI-e slot. It only has an AGP, unless you have totally rebuilt it. My friend has a computer almost exactly like that that I helped him upgrade so....
...i think that there is no PCI-e slot, that is.
May 24, 2007 2:00:27 PM

Quote:
Can you post some pictures of it?
ComputerCustomizer


I can, but you'll have to wait till tonight, I am at work right now.

(see I wasn't kidding in my location) :wink:
May 24, 2007 2:01:22 PM

It was suppose to be a joke. That is some crap I found on Google images. :) 
May 24, 2007 2:03:05 PM

Quote:
That computer doesn't even have a PCI-e slot. It only has an AGP, unless you have totally rebuilt it. My friend has a computer almost exactly like that that I helped him upgrade so....
...i think that there is no PCI-e slot, that is.


hehe look at his sig :lol: 
May 24, 2007 2:03:12 PM

All my really poor friends still use AGP cards since they can't afford to update their systems. I'm not rich myself as college bills take up most of my income. I've been wanting to upgrade my video card since Oblivion came out because my 6600GT really doesn't cut it for that game at any resolution above 640x480, but I just haven't had the budget for it.

So if you want pitiful just imagine me playing Oblivion at 640x480 with everything set pretty low and it STILL lags when more than two enemies are on the screen.

Anyway if you wanted to send it to me I'd be happy to pay shipping for you, and I could pass on the good karma by either putting up my 6600GT like you or giving it to the local Goodwill Computer Works.


Thanks a lot
May 24, 2007 2:07:45 PM

Quote:
All my really poor friends still use AGP cards since they can't afford to update their systems. I'm not rich myself as college bills take up most of my income. I've been wanting to upgrade my video card since Oblivion came out because my 6600GT really doesn't cut it for that game at any resolution above 640x480, but I just haven't had the budget for it.

So if you want pitiful just imagine me playing Oblivion at 640x480 with everything set pretty low and it STILL lags when more than two enemies are on the screen.

Anyway if you wanted to send it to me I'd be happy to pay shipping for you, and I could pass on the good karma by either putting up my 6600GT like you or giving it to the local Goodwill Computer Works.


Thanks a lot


Candidate number 1!
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2007 2:08:29 PM

I got a feeling this thread may turn into a "my friend saw me walking down the street the other day, while I was kicking a can. He asked "Whatcha doin?" I said " Moovin" " kinda thread
May 24, 2007 2:12:06 PM

Quote:
I got a feeling this thread may turn into a "my friend saw me walking down the street the other day, while I was kicking a can. He asked "Whatcha doin?" I said " Moovin" " kinda thread


hehe I am hoping we will get some pics of really pathetic pc's while we are at it though. :lol: 

Somebody is going to get the card. :wink:
May 24, 2007 2:17:36 PM

Quote:
All my really poor friends still use AGP cards since they can't afford to update their systems. I'm not rich myself as college bills take up most of my income. I've been wanting to upgrade my video card since Oblivion came out because my 6600GT really doesn't cut it for that game at any resolution above 640x480, but I just haven't had the budget for it.

So if you want pitiful just imagine me playing Oblivion at 640x480 with everything set pretty low and it STILL lags when more than two enemies are on the screen.

Anyway if you wanted to send it to me I'd be happy to pay shipping for you, and I could pass on the good karma by either putting up my 6600GT like you or giving it to the local Goodwill Computer Works.


Thanks a lot


Candidate number 1!

I'm glad to be in the running.

Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of a ratty old case to show you. Mine still looks pretty cool although in reality it's an ultra-cheap Chinese case that I swear was hot-glued together in some places.
May 24, 2007 2:18:52 PM

Oblivion on a 6600 GT would be a pretty sad experience... I vote for that guy!
May 24, 2007 2:19:13 PM

Wow! Your a cool guy doing that 8)

Keep the gamers alive :lol: 

But isn't it hard to convince you te get the GPU? Or is there a date when you stop this all, and send the card to the one with the best reason?

Hopefully you can make someone really happy with this ;) 
May 24, 2007 2:21:48 PM

Quote:
Wow! Your a cool guy doing that 8)

Keep the gamers alive :lol: 

But isn't it hard to convince you te get the GPU? Or is there a date when you stop this all, and send the card to the one with the best reason?

Hopefully you can make someone really happy with this ;) 


I am thinking this weekend I will ship it to whoever is most convincing. I guess I should mention that in the OP.
May 24, 2007 2:22:32 PM

If you think that this is a good enough reason, I could use it in my older Athlon 64 2800+ system.
ComputerCustomizer
May 24, 2007 2:29:06 PM

Quote:
If you think that this is a good enough reason, I could use it in my older Athlon 64 2800+ system.
ComputerCustomizer


So what does your newer system have in it? :lol: 

Seriously does your 2800+ rig even have a PCI express slot?
May 24, 2007 2:30:17 PM

It has a 5600 ultra
And i think it has a pci-e slot
May 24, 2007 2:35:48 PM

Hmm, well I'm poor....and my main 9800se really isn't cutting the mustard now, lol, the Matrox G400 in the other machine certainly isn't! Plenty worse off than me though.

I'd be tempted to ebay and donate the money to your favourite charity.
May 24, 2007 2:39:06 PM

Hello and my respect for your give away!

I'm a student and I hope you will consider me also as a potential winner for your gift.

I have at the moment a sparkle 6200 128DDR/128Bit on agp modded to 6600 with riva tunner, but it's struggles in many games...
If i will win your gift i promise that i will change my motherboard (asus a8v-deluxe) to a motherboard with pci-express and put your card in my old rig (amd x2 939 3800+, 1.5Gb DDR, cdrw, WD 80JB)

I will wait for your decision and if i will win I'll get the money and pay for the delivery to Romania.

Best Regards,
Dragos from Romania

PS: my first post here :D 
I'm reading tomshardware since 2001 but this is the first time i'm using my account to post something :) 
I will look in your eyes as a begger and i know that i have no chance to win, but i wanna thank you and all like you that are giving away precious things for people that can't afford something new and powerfull!
May 24, 2007 2:44:58 PM

If anyone else needs it more I can deal......
I checked my system and it only has an agp slot, but if i got the card I would buy a mobo with a PCI-e slot..... :D 
May 24, 2007 2:54:59 PM

The contestants are lining up! 8)

Someone has got to be able to get some pics though right? :lol: 
May 24, 2007 2:56:38 PM

I would post some pictures except I don't have a camera....
...I will tell you that my system came from the local dump, though....
May 24, 2007 3:09:25 PM

Well, here is my sob story. I was upgrading my gaming rig one piece at a time about 8 or 9 months ago, but I was on a budget because I lived with my ex-girlfriend and her kid so I had to choose frugally. Anyways I upgraded my old athlon 64 3500+ s939 to an opteron 165 dual core at 1.8ghz, and overclocked it to 2.7ghz. Next month I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs of patriot 500mhz ddr. It was now about christmas season (it starts in late october where I work) and I was getting some overtime at work (i work at wal-mart) so I had a little extra money that I was planning on using to get a better graphics card and a better monitor. My ex-girlfriend had talked me into buying a couch when we first moved in together, and she owed 500 bucks on it cause I had paid for the first half and also had been paying for all the utilities and stuff on our house. Anyways since I had the money I made the mistake of mentioning it and she convinced me to give it to her to finish paying off the couch. Well, I'm a sucker and I gave her my computer upgrade money thinking that there was still going to be more overtime at wal-mart.

A week went by and I asked her if she had paid off the couch yet. She deftly avoided the question and I persisted in knowing, so she finally conceded that she spent the money on other stuff claiming she didn't have enough of her own, but that she would be able to pay off the couch before the deadline in january (by this time it was about the end of november of last year i think). Well I loved her and I didn't want money to be the issue that drove us apart so I grudgingly agreed. I'm sure you can all guess what happened next. She couldn't pay it so the overtime I earned in december ended up going to her again. This time I watched her pay the bill online. So then we ended up fighting and breaking up around march. I had paid for everything for her (broken window on her car, snow tires, all the electricity, heating, internet, phone, every last penny of mine). I hadn't even bought any new clothes in the year we were together, the computer upgrade was basically the only thing i had bought for myself other than a few games.

Well we are still living together until our lease is up next month, but I had said I would keep paying all the bills etc. cause i know she doesn't make very much (she works at wal-mart too) and also I am quite attached to her 3 year old son and don't want to inadvertantly hurt him through his mother not having enough money.

To summarize, I still haven't been able to upgrade my x850 and have been kicking myself ever since. At the time I didn't mind giving her all my money because I thought it was an investment for the future, but then she changed and now it all seems like a waste. Sorry my case isn't old or crusty, I take care of it but i can still take a picture if you'd like. Honestly I don't think you'll see many old cases with pci-e in them. I know my opty @ 2.7ghz is no conroe, but it can still do far better than an ancient x850 and the games I play (medieval 2 total war, oblivion, bf2) struggle at high settings, and the games I want to play i haven't bothered to try because I know they will just run like junk.

Oh yeah the other big reason I need a better card is because I helped my uncle build a computer, then when he wanted a better video card I told him what to get, a radeon x1950 pro. he rubs it in my face now that his inferior system (it only has a better videocard than mine, everything else is not as good) can run bf2142 at highest settings just fine, and it has shader model 3 and blah blah blah. :evil: 

Anyways a little about me, I'm 24, newly single and broke, and my real name is Adam. I live in Spokane, Washington. I won't be able to afford a new graphics card until christmas season starts again and wal-mart gives out overtime. That's my situation, not the saddest story ever but maybe if i post a pic of my system you'll think it would be a worthy home for your card?
May 24, 2007 3:11:17 PM

Okay I'll take a stab at this as I've been wanting a new graphics card for some time now. I am a college student here at Georgia Southern University, where I am majoring in Civil Engineering. I live in some of the cheapest apartments here as they are the only ones I can afford atm. I go to school full time and have a part time job in which I get to work 15-25 hours a week. Its taken me the better part of two years to get my comp to the level its at now. It really was a slow and painful process as I put it together piece by piece. It looks pretty nice now, but sadly Vista and the benches are telling me its time for a new graphics card. While I mainly have preferred ATI over the past couple of years I have seriously been considering a Nvidia 7900 GS or GTas my next card. The only problem is with my current finances it may be close to a year before I can get one. I thought I'd be a good candidate as my comp can benefit nicely from a 7900 class graphics card. If chosen I'd be glad to do the same thing the OP has done with my curernt video card a X800Gto2. Sorry way to broke to afford a digital camera right now. O and on another note I should be close to 30,000$ in debt by the time I finish my degree, hope this helps :) 
May 24, 2007 3:16:21 PM

Wow. I'm currently crippled on a damaged motherboard (DDR DIMM 1 is burned out :(  ) and even more crippled with an old GeForce FX5200. I got pictures from when I rebuilt (trying to fix a problem with cooling... I think I got it fixed now. Idles at 33*c and under load (SC4 is all i've really stressed it under) at ~49*c).

Here's my specs-I have little luck overclocking so far.

Intel D845PESV motherboard, DIMM1 burnt out
Intel Celeron 2.0GHz (PGA478), FSB400, runs at 2.2ghz (FSB440) with ClockGen
512MB PC3200 DDR RAM running at sub-PC2700 speeds (locked 3:4 ratio)
PNY GeForce FX5200, 128MB DDR, on a AGP 4x slot
80GB Western Digital IDE hard drive (with Windows XP Home SP2)
Generic 300-watt Power Supply
Generic IDE CD-ROM drive
Generic case
Maxtor 8GB IDE hard drive (with Ubuntu Linux 5.10)

I'm looking into buying a AsRock P4VM890 motherboard--it has a PCI-e slot. I'm also looking at a new case and power supply (AMS Mercury 460-watt EPS12V power supply) to see if I can get any life out of my old computer. I have another 512MB hanging around somewhere but I'm not sure if that DIMM is burnt out or not. I can't use it as the motherboard refuses to boot with it in there.

I got pictures, I'll post them later (theyre on my camera. The computer I'm using is at school). I just clean the system like a month ago, though.


EDIT: A little bit more about me. My name is Thomas, I live a little bit north of Albany, NY. I'm 16 and a student at a private school. After my parent's divorce (15 years ago), money has been tight. I was lucky to get such a good system about 4 years ago from my Uncle Harry. Anyways both my older sisters are going off to college--the eldest is a student at a SUNY university, the middle sister (older than I am) is graduating high school in about a month. She's going to some odd college (it was J&W U but she had second thoughts). That leaves me--I'm leaving this private high school to go to public school for the first time in my life. I'm a bit wary of making the change but I know it's best for the family. My mom and dad had a bitter divorce--he is required to pay child support and the equivalent of a SUNY university education. However, he isn't paying for the college. The child support is split between all three of us plus my oldest sister's college and my middle sister's college for next year. With all the lawyer crap, we'll be lucky if we get what he promised.

(In order of age (old-young), my oldest sister (20), my middle sister (18 ), and myself (16).)
May 24, 2007 3:20:25 PM

Good on you buddy. You're a good man. I need to build the GF a REAL budget PC to get her on WoW. Maybe I'll get her to post some pics to swing the judges, LOL!

Its real nice of you to offer this up to the forumz. I wanna know who gets it and what the did with it, MAJOR THANK YOU NOTE required.
May 24, 2007 3:21:07 PM

OK guys I think I should clarify about the picture, I dont really want a pic of your closed case, I want you to pop the side off and SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

If I can see your ole 6200 in all its glory, then I start to get all weepy inside.

Don't worry, everyone will be considered, but pics will not only help your chances, but also keep the thread interesting.

I'll post a pic of the card tonight. :) 
May 24, 2007 3:23:52 PM

I was going to give you my sob story, but it is not even close to as bad as Bungsta, so I don't think theres a point =). My vote goes to him, but I want to tell my story anyway because it pisses me off.

I am not a huge PC gamer just because I have never had the money to regularly update my PC, but I decided when I started college last year that I would give myself a chance to game for a year or two when I bought a Toshiba laptop with a built in 6600GT, pentium M 1.7 ghz, and 1 gb of ram. Saved up for almost a year in high school so I could afford this new laptop. Everything was going great with it, I could play most games on medium settings at the native monitor res. About a year after I bought the laptop, I started experiencing random freezes, where the computer would just lockup for no reason. I figured the memory or the harddrive may have gone bad, I tried every test I could think of but nothing seemed to point out my problem. I finally decided to have my cousin who is a computer tech look at it. It turns out that somehow, the motherboard and the CPU were fried, two weeks after my factory warantee ran out =(. The repair would have cost me $450, so I decided that I would just build a decent new desktop, say 1000-1200, as I had saved up a little money from an internship. Now I find out that I can't afford to do this anymore, because my college is taking some of my financial aid from me (why is anyone's guess, my financial aid counselor says this happens to many upper class students). Basically i'm not going to have a PC for next year unless I can buy it ridiculously cheap/used. The 7900gt would help me buy other parts, and plus I could finally play oblivion =).
May 24, 2007 3:33:04 PM

Quote:
Well, here is my sob story. I was upgrading my gaming rig one piece at a time about 8 or 9 months ago, but I was on a budget because I lived with my ex-girlfriend and her kid so I had to choose frugally. Anyways I upgraded my old athlon 64 3500+ s939 to an opteron 165 dual core at 1.8ghz, and overclocked it to 2.7ghz. Next month I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs of patriot 500mhz ddr. It was now about christmas season (it starts in late october where I work) and I was getting some overtime at work (i work at wal-mart) so I had a little extra money that I was planning on using to get a better graphics card and a better monitor. My ex-girlfriend had talked me into buying a couch when we first moved in together, and she owed 500 bucks on it cause I had paid for the first half and also had been paying for all the utilities and stuff on our house. Anyways since I had the money I made the mistake of mentioning it and she convinced me to give it to her to finish paying off the couch. Well, I'm a sucker and I gave her my computer upgrade money thinking that there was still going to be more overtime at wal-mart.

A week went by and I asked her if she had paid off the couch yet. She deftly avoided the question and I persisted in knowing, so she finally conceded that she spent the money on other stuff claiming she didn't have enough of her own, but that she would be able to pay off the couch before the deadline in january (by this time it was about the end of november of last year i think). Well I loved her and I didn't want money to be the issue that drove us apart so I grudgingly agreed. I'm sure you can all guess what happened next. She couldn't pay it so the overtime I earned in december ended up going to her again. This time I watched her pay the bill online. So then we ended up fighting and breaking up around march. I had paid for everything for her (broken window on her car, snow tires, all the electricity, heating, internet, phone, every last penny of mine). I hadn't even bought any new clothes in the year we were together, the computer upgrade was basically the only thing i had bought for myself other than a few games.

Well we are still living together until our lease is up next month, but I had said I would keep paying all the bills etc. cause i know she doesn't make very much (she works at wal-mart too) and also I am quite attached to her 3 year old son and don't want to inadvertantly hurt him through his mother not having enough money.

To summarize, I still haven't been able to upgrade my x850 and have been kicking myself ever since. At the time I didn't mind giving her all my money because I thought it was an investment for the future, but then she changed and now it all seems like a waste. Sorry my case isn't old or crusty, I take care of it but i can still take a picture if you'd like. Honestly I don't think you'll see many old cases with pci-e in them. I know my opty @ 2.7ghz is no conroe, but it can still do far better than an ancient x850 and the games I play (medieval 2 total war, oblivion, bf2) struggle at high settings, and the games I want to play i haven't bothered to try because I know they will just run like junk.

Oh yeah the other big reason I need a better card is because I helped my uncle build a computer, then when he wanted a better video card I told him what to get, a radeon x1950 pro. he rubs it in my face now that his inferior system (it only has a better videocard than mine, everything else is not as good) can run bf2142 at highest settings just fine, and it has shader model 3 and blah blah blah. :evil: 

Anyways a little about me, I'm 24, newly single and broke, and my real name is Adam. I live in Spokane, Washington. I won't be able to afford a new graphics card until christmas season starts again and wal-mart gives out overtime. That's my situation, not the saddest story ever but maybe if i post a pic of my system you'll think it would be a worthy home for your card?


Dude i feel for ya, but it seems this was only your own doing, I was in a similar situation so i know what its like to be pussy whipped lol but you needed to tell the bitch to stop being a bum and earn her money like you did.

also I dont think an opty @ 2.7 with an 850xt isnt all too bad, im running a athlon xp 2000 with a 9600 ati on a jetaway mobo, but i think someone will be needing this more than me.

The student with the 30k debt is a worthy successor to the card in my view :) 

X
May 24, 2007 3:33:38 PM

People, he asked for PICTURES! I also want to see some pictures of these sad machines (with the note). Post the pictures if you want the card. The 7900GT is a great card (it's what I run). You can volt-mod the card easily and it then runs at GTX speeds perfectly.

Sweet deal and good idea from the giver. But post pictures people...cmon now, is that so much to ask?
May 24, 2007 3:37:48 PM

My dog died, and on his deathbed he said that it was his dream to own a used 7900GT. I promised him, with a tear in my eye, that I'd realize his dream and carry on his memory. True story.

Ok, maybe not. But, I would love to take that card off your hands. I'm trying to break free of the AGP shackles. In the fall, I'll be upgrading to a C2D but I'll be using an 'upgrade' board (use my old memory, save money, AGP slot). Having this card would make that a lot easier as my options would open up, and I wouldn't have to have an AGP slot on the board. If it would make you feel any better, I can put my 9600Pro in my case and take a picture.

Also, I'll trade you a 2Ghz P4 with an Intel board for it.
May 24, 2007 3:38:48 PM

ok i posted my story above, here are some pictures. i think a 7900gt would look awful nice in here don't you agree?









the x850, once the reigning champion, now a tired old card.
May 24, 2007 3:41:22 PM

Well I just have to say that I would like to get the card, I am a college student, well I don't want to make you wanna feel sorry about me, but I am currently running a 9600 xt agp on my system and I would like to get the card and with the money I have been saving I can get a new motherboard.
May 24, 2007 3:48:07 PM

Quote:
ok i posted my story above, here are some pictures. i think a 7900gt would look awful nice in here don't you agree?



ROFL DRM does suck. :lol: 
a c 167 U Graphics card
May 24, 2007 3:51:53 PM

Heh... Now I almost feel bad for selling my 7800GS. :oops:  Lots of folks out there that could seriously use an AGP upgrade. Kudos to you, Pete!

-Wolf sends
May 24, 2007 4:02:11 PM

I have a friend who has some low LOW LOW level pci-e card. I mean crap. I bought him the Asus board that he has and helped pay for most of the parts but I can't afford to buy him a good graphix card. I can get pictures of his pc later tonight. I've always given the guy my spare parts to upgrade his machine, his money is strapped single dad with 2 girls. Hell he had to move back in with the rents cause of this.

I'm not a constant poster but i've posted here and there and i upgrade every 3-4 months. I just went to pci-e so i don't have spare cards to give him. Have pics of him and the girls for proof and can prove all my above statements. not just a sob story.
May 24, 2007 4:05:20 PM

well he is my situation
i live alone in sofia ( Bulgaria) i am an American and i have family out in LA so thats not a problem.
so lets see,
well my system isn't special and could use some help,
the only way i got this was doing some dealing and im always trading things in left and right to be able to get something a wee bit better.
i am on a $16 week budget so its not i can just save up,
and the only time i ever get cash for my pc is for my bday and xmas.
p.s and i would so easily get a job but in Europe you have to be 18 :( 
May 24, 2007 4:05:51 PM

I realized that I forgot to tell my system specs. I didn't get it from the dump, (although to that guy who got his there - I'd like to know what dump you go to). It was purchased from local over-priced stores (this was before I knew about newegg) and the local Goodwill computer works.

Athlon64 3000
Gigabyte s939 mobo
1GB DDR
XFX 6600GT
Various HDDs collected from Goodwill and Good after-rebate deals (I actually blew out the cheap PSU that came with the case cramming in too many hard drives into it, so that's the only upgraded part on my system)

It seems like about the minimum system that could benefit from a good video card. It has a PCIe slot (to the others who said they would change motherboards - why not just get a good AGP card with the money? The x1950 is often recommended to people who can't afford to update their whole system) and I don't think that it would bottleneck the 7900GT too much if I OC my system a little bit, although the guys with the Opty's might get a little better FPS's out of it.

Anyway a little about me. I don't have a great sob story to tell. I don't have to worry about my girlfriend breaking up with me since I don't have one. (Never have actually - that might be a sob story). I live in San Antonio, TX and I like it here. I go to school at the local university. I've never REALLY had to worry about money, I'm one of the people whose parents make too much money to get financial aid, but not enough money to pay for school so they help where they can and I pay what I can by working part-time. I mitigate my costs by living at home and riding my bike where I can. I've read THG for a year or two now, but I haven't started posting until recently.

I just wanted to let you know that I'd still Like to be in the running

Also, to the guy who mentioned he had a 7800, maybe you could join in and two people could go away with a better card. I'd b happy just for anything that could play Oblivion decently around 1024x768

PS. like I said my case is too nice looking to be considered, but later on tonight I can show you my OLD case and the story behind how I got the ugliest case I've ever seen.
May 24, 2007 4:11:04 PM

Quote:
OK guys I think I should clarify about the picture, I dont really want a pic of your closed case, I want you to pop the side off and SHOW ME THE MONEY!!


*chuckle* The previous guy said he'd send pictures of his girlfriend who needed the upgrade.
May 24, 2007 4:14:36 PM

Hello Mr. PETEvsDRM

My situation is... full time job, college student, wife also in college and 2 year old daughter. Did 4 years in the Marine Corps and got out, had to start over. My old P4 Northwood and 9800SE have a hard time playing DOOM 3 over 1024x768 on low to medium settings. I have convinced my wife of getting a CPU, Motherboard and RAM upgrade, but I won't be able to game on integrated graphics because the budget doesn't account for a nice video card.. My system is over 3 years old and I'm desperately looking to upgrade.

Here's a pic and that top card in the AGP slot is the 9800SE which doesn't even work right, lol. At boot I have to restart a few times to get any video out of it at all. The only other card I have at the moment is a 16MB nVidia Vanta.



You're a good guy for doing this. I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know how I stack up. Let the worst man win! LOL
May 24, 2007 4:28:06 PM

Kudos to PEte, great giveaway and a very interesting thread.

Bungsta, the x850 is a great card, only let down by it being SM2.0 only, i OC'd my x850pro with 16 pipelines open( you can do it too especially if its a VIVO card ) and ran it at 513/600, i could run BF2 with high settings @ 1280x1024 and get 50-60FPS maybe dropping to 42 when in the middle of arty. But its handicapped by being SM2 only so i guess the 7900gt would solve that

Ohh and btw, what an ass that ex of yours was, i made the same mistake at your age with my ex, thankfully im all better now :)  and my relationship with my gf now is 50/50, if a chick aint working for me shes against me and screw that
May 24, 2007 4:28:22 PM

Well I am not poor, or a strugling college student, but I am married and new to gaming. I purcahsed an Intel employee purcahse deal to start out with and still running onboard video. I haven't been able to afford a new video card yet was gonna wait till around the end of the year, so yes it would be real nice.

Jon Villareal
May 24, 2007 4:32:37 PM

Quote:
OK guys I think I should clarify about the picture, I dont really want a pic of your closed case, I want you to pop the side off and SHOW ME THE MONEY!!


*chuckle* The previous guy said he'd send pictures of his girlfriend who needed the upgrade.

lol that one would have to be a PM :lol: 
    • 1 / 6
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!