USB Dual boot Win7 (first) Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon (2nd) won't install

xeroplasmic

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hello, I am having problems installing Linux Mint 13 from a USB to my Harddrive from my USB. I made my normal win7 partition as NTFS, and split it into 2 halfs in win7 and formatted the 2nd half that is blank into a FAT32 for linux to detect it, but it wont detect that even. I made a USB Easy Installer thing and it loads everything properly, but when I go to look at partitions and everything it will only show up the usb drive. I have a Pyro SE SSD SATA Drive that I have never used RAID on, and when i type in sudo fdisk -l all that shows up is my usb disk at: /dev/sda1. Furthermore, when I go to gparted, is shows up the same thing, only /dev/sda1.. I Went to my bios and tried to change it to AHCI or what ever and it didn't seem to fix it. I looked again at my bios, and saw that my patriot Pyro SE SSD ATA drive was under IDE Slave 4, could that be a problem or can I use a term command to fix it? Any ideas please help haha!

THANK YOU!

SPECS: Gigabyte P67x-UD3-B3 Mobo
Patriot Pyro SE SSD ATA 60GB
ATI hd 5750 GPU
Intel I3 2.9 ghz
8GB Gskill Sniper Series 1866MHZ ram

you need to move your SSD to SATA0 which is on the intel chipset. not the 3rd party controller. also you do not need to format the 2nd partition as fat32. you only there to be empty space because linux will use the EXT4 filesystem. You sure you want to use Mint? You'd probably be better off with Ubuntu 12.04

xeroplasmic

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Ahh that is what I feared, It is just extremely troublesome to change the SATA connectors, have 4 of them plugged in right now and they are at very very irritating and hard to reach locations lol! Thank you for the explanation and help on this though, I will work on it tomorrow.