Sign in with
Your question

Need help installing Java in FreeNAS server.

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 16, 2012 3:12:38 AM

Im very new to linux and everything i find when searching is kinda complicated and is meant for more experienced linux users and i am not one of those. The reason I want to install java is im wanting to run my minecraft server that i run for me a few friends. Im also new to freenas. Got it set up today for the first time. I ,if it matters, am running windows 7. So i guess if someone knows i would also like to know how to run the minecraft server on it. I do know how to run it in windows and i even managed one hosted on a server, though it had a control panel so i didnt actual run it using terminal commands

Any help?
June 16, 2012 10:16:24 PM

Ok well that helps a little but How do i install. Everything says type in _______ First of all where do i type it in and what commands do i need to use? not a single thing will tell you how. everything assumes you've used linux a lot and i havent at all (besides installing ubuntu). So do i type the commands into the actuall server itself or is there a Terminal in the webUI?
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2012 12:43:34 AM

all the commands that websites give you like:

$ shutdown now
or
# finger bill@gates.com

are meant to be typed into a terminal. It doesn't matter weather you are logged into the terminal locally, or are remotely accessing the terminal via telnet or ssh, it is the same.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
June 17, 2012 1:59:25 AM

The Web utility is very good but only lets you administer the basics. If you need to do work on your FreeNAS box then really you need to set-up a secure shell connection. This is basically the ability to open a terminal window on your Windows 7 PC and then connect to the FN box and type commands as if you were sat at the FN box.

The first thing you need to do is install a SSH (Secure SHell) client on your Win7 box, a common favourite is Putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/downl...

Just download PuTTY.exe and run it on your PC. It opens an application Window where you can enter the IP of the FN box and set-up the connection. Once you have this working you will get a screen a lot like a DOS command prompt window, it's in this window that you need to type the commands listed in the articles I linked to.

m
l
August 31, 2012 5:25:36 PM

8bitloser said:
Im very new to linux and everything i find when searching is kinda complicated and is meant for more experienced linux users and i am not one of those. The reason I want to install java is im wanting to run my minecraft server that i run for me a few friends. Im also new to freenas. Got it set up today for the first time. I ,if it matters, am running windows 7. So i guess if someone knows i would also like to know how to run the minecraft server on it. I do know how to run it in windows and i even managed one hosted on a server, though it had a control panel so i didnt actual run it using terminal commands

Any help?

Hi, this tutorial shows how to setup a Minecraft server on FreeNAS 8: http://tapalla.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/setup-a-minecra...
m
l
!