rohair008

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hey guys here is my story,

I power'd down my computer for the night and I saw that it had some updates before it shut down. I power'd it down and let it install the updates and I went to sleep.

Woke up the next morning and turned on the computer and it started asking for the appropriate boot disk or however that message is phrased. So right then I was like WTF?

So I loaded the vista disk and I had two options, first was to upgrade which it wouldnt even let me highlight so I was unable to or install fresh.

I tried to do a fresh install but it would not even let me do that. So if I reboot it keeps asking me for the vista disk and I cannot install/upgrade anything.

What do I do? Thanks in advance.

It would help if you could supply exact messgaes and more detail in general.

It sounds like your computer could not locate the hard drive (or the boot record on a hard drive) with the original Vista install on it. In this case you want to run the repair option from the CD. Tutorial here: http://www.ocmodshop.com/ocmodshop.aspx?a=1372

Try that, it may make it unnecessary to reinstall at all.

Also make sure your Vista hard drive is still listed in the BIOS as the 'first' hard drive - if not make it so.

rohair008

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thx for the response.

Like I said I was powering down my computer and as I was powering it down windows had an automatic update. Then it installed it and powered down. When I turned the computer back on it asked me to put in the boot disk (it was the same message when the computer first posts and asks for the vista/or OS disc).

I put in the Windows Vista disc and it was loading the finals and I got to the screen that asked if I wanted to upgrade or install. I could not even choose to upgrade I could only choose install. Then i clicked install and it said the memory for the harddrive did not match up.

So then... which I should not have done... messed around and unplugged the HD and plugged it back in and now it is giving me a "bootmgr is missing press alt ctrl del to restart"

So ya fun fun. So now my laptop AND desktop are not working :)