How to connect to Internet, through WiFi; a problem

ioannis66

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
How to connect to Internet, through WiFi

I'll explain exactly where i'm stack. This forum has threads that helped me a lot.

I have HTC P4350 with Windows Mobile 5.0 and my PC runs Windows Vista Ultimate x64. I connect to Broadband Internet using a usual wired ADSL modem/router by Siemens, VIA Ethernet.

My goal is to establish a WiFi connection from my pocket pc, to my desktop, through my new Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter WUSB54G.
Then, share my files and connect to Internet from my pocket pc, sharing the existing Internet connection that my wired modem/router, gives me.

I have read almost all the walkthroughs about establishing a WiFi connection.
This is what i have accomplished at this time:
-->I am able to access a shared folder that is on my desktop's hard drive, using my HTC. So, that means that the WiFi settings are all ok.
BUT
-->when i run Internet Explorer on my pocket pc, it always says:
"Page not found", so i cannot access web sites.

I have tried everything. When using a USB cable to connect, even then, i couldn't browse web sites. But i found the solution, by downloading a registry fix for Windows Sync Center. So, using a USB cable, everything works fine.
Back to the WiFi now. I tried runnig \\Windows\welcome.exe, but no luck, tried a hard reset, made the same settings, but no luck either.I edited the Wireless Network settings from"Internet" to "Work" and yet nothing. In the connection settings i left the Proxy Server setting blank and checked the box about Internet connection.
In my desktop PC, I have already checked the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".
I have also checked "Allow users to control or disable the shared Internet connection", and all the ICS services that the users can access, just to be sure.

Still no luck.
I even upgraded to Windows Mobile 6.0, thinking that it might help.
No luck...

Maybe there lies the solution:

I would like morer information on how to set
Ad-hoc mode with an Ethernet (wired) router

Please read and check my questions.
In this guide: http://wifi.aximsite.com/alternate.html, i do not understand some things:

1. "As an alternative to this setup, you can simply bridge the Ethernet (NIC) and wireless adapters on your PC. (The Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP will do this by default.) This allows your router to handle the DHCP functions for all the equipment."

How can i "bridge" the NIC and my wireless adapter in Windows Vista? What does bridge mean?

2. "With this setup, the Ethernet router will be handling all the Gateway and DNS activities which should shorten the time for connecting to websites. Even with this setup, it may be better to set a static IP on your wireless equipment which will allow you to enter your ISP's DNS numbers into your PPC."

If i pick 192.168.1.3 for my PPC, where do i insert this info? In what menu of Windows Mobile?

The point is that my WiFi connection is fine, because i can browse my shared files from my HTC, but the Internet Explorer of HTC seems not to understand that it needs to use WiFi or some ports, in order to give me web access.

I am asking for help.
What to do next?

At this time I am also writting an e-mail to HTC Customer Services about this, cause i really need WiFi access to Internet for my job.

Any help would be greately appreciated.
Thanks.

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Ok here is your problem you have a direct wifi line to your desktop and your desktop is getting the internet but not forwarding it to the wifi. Basically networking devices don't let packets flow to eachother unless you make them by creating a bridge. (please read whole explanation before doing this) A quick to set this up is to run the network wizard and enable internet connection sharing ICS (I generally found this will get you to the internet but might screw up windows file sharing since it's not a true bridge your results may vary I think I had to bridge because I have multiple computers on the wired and wireless side).The other option is to create a bridge in XP simply go to control panel then network connections. You then highlight both connections right click and select create bridge (I've seen the same menu in vista in classic control panel mode but never tried to bridge with it).

Here is the tricky part your going to have to manually configure the IP of both the bridge and your windows mobile computer. To manually configure the bridge first get all your ip data of your ethernet (before you create the bridge) to do this in network connections right click the the wired adapter then select status and write all the numbers down remembering that your DNS address is the same as your gateway address set up a static ip by right clicking the bridge then select properties then select tcpip then select properties. Fill in all the stuff IP,subnet mask,gateway, and DNS server which is same as gateway. For windows mobile I have no idea where exactly the menu is but just add 1 to the last digit of the IP address and fill out the rest as you did with the comp. Just look up tcp/ip settings for windows mobile or setting a static ip address for windows mobile.

The reason this is such pain in the a** is you modem is set up only to assign 1 IP address any more than that and it has a conniption if it's anything like my siemens modem (although possibly AT&T does that to be evil and it works fine for the rest of the world). People generally just hook the modem into a router that handles all the IP assignments through DNS and usually the wireless too if you get a wireless one. I congratulate you on your hard work but a cheap wireless router would fix all your problems.

ioannis66

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
MANY MANY THANKS!!!

I just selected both the

-->Local Area Adapter and
-->the Wireless Network Adapter
in the Network Connections in Control Panel, then
-->right click
and select Bridge.

A new icon, Network Bridge is created.
From the Properties and double clicking on Internet Protocol v4, the only thing i did is:
-->enter the values for Preferred DNS SERVER and Alternate DNS SERVER, that i've got from my ISP.

NOW I CAN CONNECT TO INTERNET VIA MY POCKET PC AND SEE MY DESKTOP SHARED FOLDERS!

What a relief...!

I have 2 more questions though...

1.Why would i want to manually configure the IP of both the bridge and my PPC? or should i use a static IP for my PPC?

2.How can i find a -->valid<-- WEP Encryption key, in order to make my wireless network safer?

Many thanks man.
You are the best!

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Oh you set up the WEP encryption when you set up the ad-hoc network on your desktop just select shared then WEP and create a key. For the record though WEP encryption can be broke in 3 minutes and I was never able to get WPA working with ad-hoc in windows or linux maybe you'll have better luck.

Oh if it worked without static IP that just means your dsl company is not evil and does not limit your modem to assigning one IP address like mine does (don't fix things not broken).

shreejihospital

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
i am having a same problem. i want to connect internet on my windows mobile PPC thru proxy from my wi fi laptop. how to set this connection ??

G

MAN THKS ME TOOOO! i had the same problem and not the internet on my smartphone is working! many many thks:)

mariamenounous

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Hello...
Temporarily plug a network cable into your laptop and wireless router. When your computer is on, it should automatically connect to the router .
Open Internet Explorer and type in the URL address of your wireless router to access the configuration page. In general, the default address will probably be 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.2.1 . Check your router's owner's manual for more help.
Enter your username and password when prompted. Many routers use the term admin as a default for both . Again, check your router's manual if you don't know the default username and password.
Pick a name, also called an SSID, for your network, once you access your router's configuration page. Try to think of an original name that will distinguish your Wi-Fi from your neighbors'.
Choose the type of security you want. WPA and WPA2 are more secure than WEP, but not all devices support WPA2. Create a unique password for your network. There will be hints on your router configuration page to tell you how to set up a password. Make sure to keep a hard copy of your password hidden somewhere in case you forget it.
Locate and click on the Internet icon, for Windows 7 and Vista, in the notification area of Windows on your laptop. The icon will resemble a signal meter, like you would see on a cell phone . For Windows XP, open your Control Panel and select Network Connections. Right click on the Wireless Network Connection icon and choose View Available Wireless Networks . Choose the wireless network you just set up and enter your password.