Problems with guest account

I had a friend stay with me and tried to use the guest account (XP home) but
two problems arose:

1] He had no access to my modem so could not dial into his ISP account. All
the dialup icons were greyed out.

2] every time he tried to start an office program it started the installer
and said no valid source could be found. Office is installed for the 2
normal users of the computer.

I tried putting the office CD in the drive but it came up with a message box
saying guests could not install software, do I want to install it as another
user? I typed in my account name but it would not work (I have no password
on my account and error message was blank passwords not allowed!).

How can I solve these two issues?
3 answers Last reply
More about problems guest account

    "Lorne" <Lorne_Anderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I had a friend stay with me and tried to use the guest account (XP
    > home) but two problems arose:
    >
    > 1] He had no access to my modem so could not dial into his ISP
    > account. All the dialup icons were greyed out.

    Yes, that's the way it is. Guest can only use the Internet if the
    connection is established before Guest logs on.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Guest account is a *very limited* account....you'd be better creating a
    'proper' User account for your friend with the access priviledges he needs.

    "Lorne" <Lorne_Anderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I had a friend stay with me and tried to use the guest account (XP home)
    >but two problems arose:
    >
    > 1] He had no access to my modem so could not dial into his ISP account.
    > All the dialup icons were greyed out.
    >
    > 2] every time he tried to start an office program it started the installer
    > and said no valid source could be found. Office is installed for the 2
    > normal users of the computer.
    >
    > I tried putting the office CD in the drive but it came up with a message
    > box saying guests could not install software, do I want to install it as
    > another user? I typed in my account name but it would not work (I have no
    > password on my account and error message was blank passwords not
    > allowed!).
    >
    > How can I solve these two issues?

    Very limited seems to be an understatement.

    I have come to the same conclusion and would remove the guest account if it
    were not needed for network access to shared resources, but as far as using
    it for any productive purpose it seems a total waste of space.

    It is also useless for home network access - why can't microsoft go back to
    their much better procedures in Windows 98 when any folder could be shared
    with a unique password ? Forcing access to be without a password or having a
    single password for all shared resources is serious backward step.

    "Andrew Murray" <Noadmurray@SPAMiinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Guest account is a *very limited* account....you'd be better creating a
    > 'proper' User account for your friend with the access priviledges he
    > needs.
    >
    > "Lorne" <Lorne_Anderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I had a friend stay with me and tried to use the guest account (XP home)
    >>but two problems arose:
    >>
    >> 1] He had no access to my modem so could not dial into his ISP account.
    >> All the dialup icons were greyed out.
    >>
    >> 2] every time he tried to start an office program it started the
    >> installer and said no valid source could be found. Office is installed
    >> for the 2 normal users of the computer.
    >>
    >> I tried putting the office CD in the drive but it came up with a message
    >> box saying guests could not install software, do I want to install it as
    >> another user? I typed in my account name but it would not work (I have
    >> no password on my account and error message was blank passwords not
    >> allowed!).
    >>
    >> How can I solve these two issues?

Internet Service Providers Office Windows XP