Sign in with
Your question

Will linux ubuntu 12.04 install?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 19, 2012 5:09:06 AM

so ive been reading up and i seen stories and heard my mobo (asus p8z68-m pro) doesnt support linux. i need this as an os because i cannot get windows for awhile so does anyone have the same mobo or an asus that it works fine on, or is there another version of linux i have to use, or am i screwed?

help please.

More about : linux ubuntu install

a b 5 Linux
June 19, 2012 6:14:05 AM

There's a very easy way to find out. Try installing it.
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:07:07 PM

I'm not sure why you would think it doesn't support linux. linux works with all mainstream components and ASUS is as mainstream as it gets. It should install just fine. Make sure the hard disk is installed on SATA0
m
l
a b 5 Linux
June 20, 2012 10:54:48 AM

I'd not be so sure about that. The board in question uses the Lucid solution to allow switching between discrete GPU and the on chip one. As far as I know this is not supported in Ubuntu. Similarly things like the 'Turbo Boost' (which looks like a large packet implementation on the USB standard) is supported via a SW driver so again will cause issues with Linux.

Mostly the board would be fine, it should boot the LiveCD with no great problem but like many laptops it's the non standard features which can catch you out. If you can live without them great, if not then you're going to get frustrated.
m
l
!