Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What is the Quietest Computer Case?

Last response: in Components
May 24, 2007 2:35:33 PM

What is the quietest case made for performance desktops? I know there is one with heatpipes that connect to the case itself. The name eludes me at the moment. But, it cannot handle anything current. So that one is off the list.

What do you guys think?

More about : quietest computer case

May 24, 2007 4:30:26 PM

I love my Super Lan Boy Antec case. Two 120mm fans....they are very quiet.

Nice case stupid name.....
Related resources
May 24, 2007 4:39:19 PM

Antec Sonata is very quiet. I have two of them and so does my friend. Very well built and it definitely is quiet.
May 24, 2007 4:43:23 PM

I believe the antec p180 series are pretty quiet, although they can be a little pricey.
May 24, 2007 5:01:10 PM

The Antec P182 has recently gone on the market, bear in mind that.

They are great case and have some good anti-noise features.
May 24, 2007 5:17:58 PM

The case you referred to that has no internal fans and uses heat pipes is the Zalman TNN-500AF. You can find specs and a description at the Zalman website.

Good luck!
May 24, 2007 5:35:29 PM

Yeah, its totally silent and all but it costs almost a 600+! The p180/182 have rubber dampening, triple layer side panels for noise reduction, and a very good cable management system (applies to 182). I don't own the 182, but based on its features it has silence in mind. Replacing the fans with noctua's will net you the best result, with the noctua's your looking at 23dbA's (four case fans) in open air, with the side panel applied the net dbA could be less than 15dbA!.

Here's a review on the p182.
Here's a review on the noctua fans.

Remember, double the fans adds 3 dba. So 2 @ 17 dbA will emit 20dbA. 4 will emit 23 dba.

2x17dbA=17dbA+3

Heres a chart on dbA. Rule of thumb, quiet is below 30 dbA, so thats what you should aim for when building a quiet case. Silent is roughly below 20 dbA with the threshold of hearing bottoming out at 10, however technically its 0 dbA.

[/img]

Other Decibel Info:

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB
May 24, 2007 6:17:44 PM

Quote:
What is the quietest case made for performance desktops? I know there is one with heatpipes that connect to the case itself. The name eludes me at the moment. But, it cannot handle anything current. So that one is off the list.

What do you guys think?

The Zalman TNN-500AF, the case with the heatpipes, can handle current systems, processors, and motherboards. Just go to the Zalman website and look up the case specs for recommended processors, motherboards, and gpu's.

I think if you want a *almost* perfectly silent computer and are willing to spend the money, then get the TNN-500AF and put a C2D E6700 with an 8800.
May 24, 2007 6:30:31 PM

I like the fact that I can barely hear the fans in my case that way I can hear the fan on my video card which is not that loud but loud enough to let me know if there is a problem. I don't think I would like a case that is completely silent.
May 24, 2007 7:03:12 PM

My vote is for the P150 - it has sound-deadening panels on the sides, and has a built in hard drive suspension system - although I am a *little* biased here :twisted:
May 24, 2007 8:51:36 PM

It would be nice if you could put a sensor on your Video card Fan and other fans like the chipset fan.
May 25, 2007 6:37:09 PM

You can apparently control your vga fan speed with ATITool, although I've never actually done it.
March 6, 2011 6:49:27 AM

The Antec P183 V3 (Gunmetal Finish) is the quietest case you can buy. It is available with a clear window however this feature infringes upon the noise reduction capabilities inherent to the case which are second to none. Among a solid construction, the case employs various sound deadening features namely of which is the staggered, triple layer sound insulation. If you combine the Antex P183 V3 with AcoustiPack Acoustic Composite Sheet Package and an Antec CP-850 850W or 1000W Power Supply you've got a recipe for a very quiet computer as long as you ensure the rest of your components aren't ultra-high performance parts which inherently make a lot of noise. For example I wouldn't go beyond that of the Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB and you might want to consider "quiet" fans as well as WD Green HD or an SSD. Also, go to "pugetsystems.com/serenity.php" for a fantastic format for the quietest possible computer. I think they make one that registers no more than 11db, if you want more performance you'll have to put up with a whopping 20db! hehe... Anyway, I hope that helped.

Puget System's Quote Regarding the Antec P183 V3

"Performance reaches new heights with the P183, the next enclosure from Antec's high-end Performance One series. With the latest Quiet Computing™ technologies, the P183 delivers first-class performance at its quietest, coolest and most stylish. Dual chambers isolate the power supply and CPU into separate cooling zones with up to 5 configurable fans. Three-layer sound-deadening panels dampen noise even in very high-performance systems. Ease-of-use, sleek design and Antec's reputation for quality make the P183 worthy of being the standard for high quality, quiet systems from Puget. "
a c 274 ) Power supply
March 6, 2011 1:09:05 PM

Here's a list from SPCR who designed the Puget Sound Serenity pc.
Mike Chin the founder and main man at SPCR also designs cases with Antec.
The P183 and Fusion cases for example.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page1.html
April 21, 2011 2:58:07 AM

arcrendition said:
The Antec P183 V3 (Gunmetal Finish) is the quietest case you can buy. It is available with a clear window however this feature infringes upon the noise reduction capabilities inherent to the case which are second to none. Among a solid construction, the case employs various sound deadening features namely of which is the staggered, triple layer sound insulation. If you combine the Antex P183 V3 with AcoustiPack Acoustic Composite Sheet Package and an Antec CP-850 850W or 1000W Power Supply you've got a recipe for a very quiet computer as long as you ensure the rest of your components aren't ultra-high performance parts which inherently make a lot of noise. For example I wouldn't go beyond that of the Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB and you might want to consider "quiet" fans as well as WD Green HD or an SSD. Also, go to "pugetsystems.com/serenity.php" for a fantastic format for the quietest possible computer. I think they make one that registers no more than 11db, if you want more performance you'll have to put up with a whopping 20db! hehe... Anyway, I hope that helped.

Puget System's Quote Regarding the Antec P183 V3

"Performance reaches new heights with the P183, the next enclosure from Antec's high-end Performance One series. With the latest Quiet Computing™ technologies, the P183 delivers first-class performance at its quietest, coolest and most stylish. Dual chambers isolate the power supply and CPU into separate cooling zones with up to 5 configurable fans. Three-layer sound-deadening panels dampen noise even in very high-performance systems. Ease-of-use, sleek design and Antec's reputation for quality make the P183 worthy of being the standard for high quality, quiet systems from Puget. "

did you not realize this thread if from 4 years ago.......

I think he might have purchased a case by now.
November 19, 2011 10:29:42 PM

Doesn't matter about old thread as it's still legit for newcomers seeking some advice.
!