Random freezing with Vista 64x

random_hero

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
HI, thanks in advance to any help, heres my problem:

At random times when im using my computer i get roughly 10-30 second freezes, now during these freezes if i type or do a command, like click pause on itunes or type, as soon as the freeze stops the action takes place. An even more strange thing is that i can still move my mouse around the screen during a freeze, now these freezes dont have any certain connection to a certain program or type of program, it can happen while playing wow or just going through files in explorer.

Not on my computer so here are the specs i know off the top of my head:

Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Asus m2n-sli deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200
4g of mushkin RAM
580W Hiper PSU
XFX 8800gt

BTW i have also tried solving the problem already by reseating all my components, cleaning out my case and checking temps, also did a test on my memory and performed chkdsk, also already checked the integrity of windows's files (forget the name), also checked for malware, also there is no hints in event viewer.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Sounds like you got some system hang. What test did you do on your RAM, and what malware application did you use.
You should be aware that your CPU is now getting very old and if this hang comes when running multiple programs then you have your answer.

random_hero

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
i use ad-aware and spybot search and destroy, sorry i forgot that i had recently upgraded my cpu to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz, as for the tests i used i used both mem test 86? and the windows version

whpz876

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I have the EXACT same problem, it's been happening for about a week or two now...thank god I'm not alone.

I have a Q6600, 4GB of ram, Vista Ultimate 64 bit. It doesn't make sense...I can max Crysis all day but iTunes lags??

I'm about ready for format my drive, which I really shouldn't have to do :(

Also, it's not a system freeze, just iTunes. Drive activity keeps going, CPU activity, everything else keeps running iTunes just pauses and then does everything I told it to do during the pause super quick. Then it's fine again for another minute or less, then it will pause for 15 to 30 seconds, rinse and repeat.

sportsguy

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
My Vista x64 had hang issues, and I narrowed it down to a bad video driver, and low voltage to the ram. I have 8 gigs corsair 6400C4HDX at 2.1 voltage setting, and i increased it to 2.15 and all is well. I suspect that the "actual" ram voltage is not the required 2.1.

so far that has been the answer.

sportsguy