Low Quake2 FPS on Fast PC........

Last response: in Video Games
January 26, 2005 2:09:48 AM

I have an Athlon 2700+, ATI 9600SE, Windows XP, and a gig of ram. My
Quake2 framerate is somewhere around 25-30 fps. Any Ideas on why its so
low?

Thanks,

JT

More about : low quake2 fps fast

January 26, 2005 5:46:37 PM

"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have an Athlon 2700+, ATI 9600SE, Windows XP, and a gig of ram. My
> Quake2 framerate is somewhere around 25-30 fps. Any Ideas on why its so
> low?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JT

January 26, 2005 5:49:02 PM

maybe your cl_maxfps is set to 30.
try adding "set cl_maxfps 200" or higher to your config; or type "cl_maxfps
200" in the console.

"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have an Athlon 2700+, ATI 9600SE, Windows XP, and a gig of ram. My
> Quake2 framerate is somewhere around 25-30 fps. Any Ideas on why its so
> low?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JT
January 26, 2005 9:43:05 PM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have an Athlon 2700+, ATI 9600SE, Windows XP, and a gig of ram.
My
> > Quake2 framerate is somewhere around 25-30 fps. Any Ideas on why
its
> > so low?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > JT
>
> You have just about got to be in software mode for that rig to go so
> slow! Have you checked the console to see any errors? Like possibly

> the game dumping OGL for software instead?
> McG.

Im not in software mode, I have it set for GL and my maxfps is set at
the default of 90. I can tell its in GL mode because the graphics look
good they are just slow. It is easy to tell when its in software mode
becasue of the poor quality of the graphics. I have the latest drivers
for my video card from the ATI site too.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

JT
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:34:52 AM

"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an Athlon 2700+, ATI 9600SE, Windows XP, and a gig of ram. My
> Quake2 framerate is somewhere around 25-30 fps. Any Ideas on why its
> so low?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JT

You have just about got to be in software mode for that rig to go so
slow! Have you checked the console to see any errors? Like possibly
the game dumping OGL for software instead?
McG.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 3:04:32 PM

> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JT

I had this problem once when I first moved to win xp. But I cannot for the
life of remember what the fix was. Just keep checking back here, I will
think of it sooner or later and post. It almost came to me this morning,
but then slipped away again.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...

> "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > JT

ahh, I think I got it. Run the game in win95 or 98 mode. Right click on
the quake2.exe file and select the "Compatibility" tab and put it at
"windows 98/ windows me"

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:33:09 AM

"Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have an Athlon 2700+, ATI 9600SE, Windows XP, and a gig of ram. My
>>> Quake2 framerate is somewhere around 25-30 fps. Any Ideas on why its
>>> so low?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JT
>>
>> You have just about got to be in software mode for that rig to go so
>> slow! Have you checked the console to see any errors? Like possibly
>
>> the game dumping OGL for software instead?
>> McG.
>
> Im not in software mode, I have it set for GL and my maxfps is set at
> the default of 90. I can tell its in GL mode because the graphics look
> good they are just slow. It is easy to tell when its in software mode
> becasue of the poor quality of the graphics. I have the latest drivers
> for my video card from the ATI site too.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JT

Not a one. I'm stumped there. try starting it with NO .cfg files (just
move em all to a temp place). Sometimes there will be something in your
\baseq2\config.cfg or autoexec.cfg that makes odd changes. Q2 will
generate a new default config.cfg when it starts up. Most all the
problems I'd ever had with Q2 were in the .cfg files I'd write.
McG.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 6:48:25 PM

OK if I select run in 256 colors I can get it to 74 frames per second
and it doesn't matter what resolution I set it for in the game. Always
74 fps. I have max setting or lowest settings still 74 though. That
isnt too bad but I dont recall having to keep windows 98 in 256 color
mode back in the day to play quake2. And I had far less of a machine
and still got over 100 fps.

I have CL_Maxfps at 200

Any other suggestions?

Thanks JT

Margolis wrote:
> > "Goodner79" <jtg30@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > Any other ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > JT
> > >

> ahh, I think I got it. Run the game in win95 or 98 mode. Right
click on
> the quake2.exe file and select the "Compatibility" tab and put it at
> "windows 98/ windows me"
>
> --
>
> Margolis

http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 6:58:40 PM

OK under compatability mode if I select run in 256 colors (OS setting
doesnt seem to matter)I can get it to 74 frames p­er second and it
doesn't matter what resolution I set it for in the ga­me. Always 74
fps. I set video to max settings or lowestest settings still I still
get 74fps. That isnt too bad but I dont recall having to keep windows
98 in ­256 color mode back in the day to play quake2. And I had far
less of a­ machine and still got over 100 fps. Also if I set my
monitor refresh rate at 60hz my fps drops to 54. Default is 72hz.
I have CL_Maxfps at 200

Any other suggestions?

Thanks JT
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 3:01:04 AM

Also just noticed that my crosshair doesnt show up either.....jt
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 5:48:17 AM

> OK if I select run in 256 colors I can get it to 74 frames per second
> and it doesn't matter what resolution I set it for in the game. Always
> 74 fps. I have max setting or lowest settings still 74 though. That
> isnt too bad but I dont recall having to keep windows 98 in 256 color
> mode back in the day to play quake2. And I had far less of a machine
> and still got over 100 fps.
>
> I have CL_Maxfps at 200
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks JT

it seems to have fixed your problem. The reason you are stuck at 74fps now
is because of vsync. You will need to disable vsync in the video drivers
and also in the game options. (sometimes you have to enable it in the game
options to disable it, very strange)

I don't know why you have to do 256 color though. All I have to do is just
select win98 compatibility mode.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:45:56 PM

How do I toggle vsync from within Q2? And what about the crosshair not
showing up?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:46:38 PM

Oh and what does vsync do?
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:42:52 AM

vsync is short for vertical sync. It synchronizes the framefrate from the
game to the refresh rate of the monitor. With it enabled your computer will
not draw any more frames than your refresh rate will allow. Disabling it is
good for testing, but under most conditions it is better to keep it on. It
doesn't matter how many fps your computer is capable of when it cannot
display any more fps than the monitor's refresh rate allows.

To enable it and disable it you would look in the video option menu in quake
2, it is called "sync every frame". You also have to disable it in the
video cards drivers 3d options.

as for the crosshair problem, that may be due to the 256 color. Why do you
have to play in 256color? where are you setting this options and why did
you try it?.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:13:10 AM

In windows XP when you go to the properties for the quake2.exe, there
are compatability options. If I dont have the 256 colors selected under
compatability I only get 25-30 fps. I did uncheck the option and my
crosshair does come back. Why the heck would 256 color mode fix my
problem of only 25-30 fps?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:31:55 PM

> In windows XP when you go to the properties for the quake2.exe, there
> are compatability options. If I dont have the 256 colors selected
> under compatability I only get 25-30 fps. I did uncheck the option
> and my crosshair does come back. Why the heck would 256 color mode
> fix my problem of only 25-30 fps?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy

I don't remember the start of this thread, but looking at just this
message I'd be looking at my video card and driver on this issue. If
that doesn't fix it, then I'd look at which opengl32.dll is in use and
where it is. I recall that placing that file (comes with your vid card
driver AND Windows also has a version that's 'generic') in the Q2 game
folder helped with OGL issues I'd been having. Q2 would look in its own
folder first, then in the \dll or \driver or \system32 folder, where
ever it's stored.
McG.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 3:01:16 PM

this sounds like a driver issue like McGrandpa said. First off, look in
your q2 folder and all subfolders for a file called opengl.dll or
opengl32.dll. If you find one, delete it. This has been known to cause
problems when it was there.

If that doesn't help, give us a bit more info. Which drivers are you using
for the video card? Just saying the "latest" isn't too helpful. Plus having
the "latest" isn't always a good thing. And which version of the game are
you playing? 3.20 I hope

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:47:30 PM

I have an ATI Radeon 9600SE with the latest drivers from ATI's site -
Version: 6.14.10.6505

There is a file named ref_gl.dll in my Q2 folder but if I move it or
rename it I can no longer select OpenGL in the video options, It kicks
back to software mode. If I take the Opengl32.dll from my
c:\windows\system32 and copy into the Q2 folder and rename to
ref_gl.dll it errors out of quake2.
Oh and I am using version 3.20 of Q2.

Thanks..JT
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:05:58 PM

Any guess on why I have to run in 256 color mode? This is when my
crossharis disapear.

Thanks..JT
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:20:41 PM

> Any guess on why I have to run in 256 color mode? This is when my
> crossharis disapear.
>
> Thanks..JT

sorry, been busy for a couple days. What is your windows desktop color set
at?

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.ag...