Choosing Wireless Router, BIG RANGE

shyam

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Hey Guys,

Looking for advice on buying a new Wireless N router.

I currently have a WRT54GS wireless setup, with a laptop, PC, and 360 all connecting wirelessly on the same floor with excellent speed and stability (On Virgin Medias cable 20MB package, speeds of about 2000kb/s).

I have recently moved my PC up, not one floor but 2 floors, into a new area in an extension recently built, it is on the other side of the house, and TWO floors higher. Unfortunately I can't pick up any wireless signal at all, and there isn't a chance of moving the modem up a floor..

I've heard that it is very likely I will get a signal with a "wireless N" router, and possibly even a good signal with good download speeds.. There are quite a few out, so I was wondering on advice on what is the model for me.. Answers from people who have also used the routers in very long distances, like myself would really be appreciated.

I will also need to buy a wireless card/usb adapter for my desktop so it can be compatible with the wireless N..

I've seen lots of models around, the Belkin N1 and D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit seem the most highly rated, but I don't really know much about it..

I'm really looking for the router that will give me the best signal, on the longest distance and the highest speeds.

Thans for your advice everyone!

brw02005

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Well can't say for the draft n stuff but how i would do it is hack the WRT54GS with DD-WRT alternative firmware then buy a BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 for $60 an hack that with the DD-WRT firmware and set them up in WDS mode where the BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 is the main gateway and you put the WRT54GS closer to the computer to rebroadcast the signal. i have a similar setup and I can usually get 17 mbps with airport expresses. I think your setup might do better since both your routers have better range than an airport express. 20 mbps is hard since normal g maxes out at 27 mbps. As for the draft n stuff it will probably do a bit better but this is cheaper than even buying a draft n adapter card.

I'm still holding out for draft n to no longer be draft before I switch but if you look at the wireless charts in smallnetbuilder the Apple Airport Extreme has the longest range although the DIR-655 does come rather close and is cheaper. I just would not want to drop over $200 and have it be incompatible down the road.