I want to reinstall Vista, but will i lose my settings?

purplefire

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Hey, i want to re-install windows Vista Ultimate, but will i lose all of my settings, like my wallpaper and everything else? Is there a way to just repair what i already have, and leave things the way they are?

Don't you have Vista restore points so you can roll back to a time when the OP/SYS was problem free?

That only Repairs problems that would affect Vista Booting, does absolutely nothing for the running OP/SYS itself.

purplefire

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Sorry for the ridiculously late reply.

Yeah i did try that, i left it running for a day, then came home to find the test had completed and exited, so i have no idea what the outcome was. Should there not have been a diagnosis or something?

I think perhaps i should have opened a command prompt, and /then/ typed the command.

bigal18

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I used my back disks for vista home premium 64 bit, and the whole computer looked like it when to all of its factory settings, everything was as if I just bought the computer. I had to reinstall everything, even the video card, which was much easier than when I first installed it. It will take about 2 hours to recover your computer. I would recommend getting a external harddrive to put as a back up all of your data.

bigal18

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I did all of this because I could not download anything from the internet, and shortcuts disapeared, so I freaked out and did the above. Now everything works perfectly. It sounds like I was infected with the conficker, but I dought that since I would not think that about 20 shortcuts disapear in 30 minutes would be because of the worm.