Solved

Grub bootloader refuses to recognize NTFS Win8 partition

I recently installed a customized version of RH5 (not my choice; it's for work) on fresh ext2 partition on my laptop. I had a separate, bootable NTFS partition with Win8. The grub bootloader doesn't recognize that partition. It shows up in Logical Volume Management though:

I don't have any data I need to save but if I can figure out what's going on I'd like to fix it.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about grub bootloader refuses recognize ntfs win8 partition
  1. Best answer
    DId you install widnows first and then Linux Second? It works smooth that way.

You can manually Setup the Grub to Recognize it section 5 B

or See Section 6 for how to make it a virtual drive to see if it will recognize it.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html#mozTocId800388
  2. I added the following lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Windows 8
    root(hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

This made Windows 8 show up in grub, but when I boot to that partition I get a Windows boot manager error. Looks like I'll need to put my Win8 iso back on a stick and see if the repair works.

File: \boot\BCD
    The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors
  3. Yes, I installed windows first, partitioned from there, and then installed linux.

I'll take a look at the link and try it out. Thanks!
  4. wieschie said:
    I added the following lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Windows 8
    root(hd0,2)
    chainloader +1

This made Windows 8 show up in grub, but when I boot to that partition I get a Windows boot manager error. Looks like I'll need to put my Win8 iso back on a stick and see if the repair works.

File: \boot\BCD
    The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors

ugh.. that is no fun at all : ( Try the repair to see if it can fix it, if not then try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
  5. maybe use rootnoverify(hd0,2) instead? this leaves mounting to windows boot loader...
  6. skittle said:
    maybe use rootnoverify(hd0,2) instead? this leaves mounting to windows boot loader...

I really wanted this to work but it didn't change anything.

I'll do the repair this weekend when I have time and hopefully that will clear things up.
  7. Best answer selected by wieschie.
Ask a new question

Read More

NTFS Grub Partition