Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Grub bootloader refuses to recognize NTFS Win8 partition

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
June 28, 2012 2:58:40 PM

I recently installed a customized version of RH5 (not my choice; it's for work) on fresh ext2 partition on my laptop. I had a separate, bootable NTFS partition with Win8. The grub bootloader doesn't recognize that partition. It shows up in Logical Volume Management though:

I don't have any data I need to save but if I can figure out what's going on I'd like to fix it.

Best solution

June 28, 2012 3:53:01 PM

DId you install widnows first and then Linux Second? It works smooth that way.

You can manually Setup the Grub to Recognize it section 5 B

or See Section 6 for how to make it a virtual drive to see if it will recognize it.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html#mozTocId80...
June 28, 2012 4:32:11 PM

I added the following lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Windows 8
root(hd0,2)
chainloader +1

This made Windows 8 show up in grub, but when I boot to that partition I get a Windows boot manager error. Looks like I'll need to put my Win8 iso back on a stick and see if the repair works.

File: \boot\BCD
The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors
m
l
June 28, 2012 4:32:12 PM

Yes, I installed windows first, partitioned from there, and then installed linux.

I'll take a look at the link and try it out. Thanks!
m
l
June 28, 2012 11:24:39 PM

wieschie said:
I added the following lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Windows 8
root(hd0,2)
chainloader +1

This made Windows 8 show up in grub, but when I boot to that partition I get a Windows boot manager error. Looks like I'll need to put my Win8 iso back on a stick and see if the repair works.

File: \boot\BCD
The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors

ugh.. that is no fun at all : ( Try the repair to see if it can fix it, if not then try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:20:21 PM

maybe use rootnoverify(hd0,2) instead? this leaves mounting to windows boot loader...
m
l
June 29, 2012 8:28:02 PM

skittle said:
maybe use rootnoverify(hd0,2) instead? this leaves mounting to windows boot loader...

I really wanted this to work but it didn't change anything.

I'll do the repair this weekend when I have time and hopefully that will clear things up.
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:09:06 AM

Best answer selected by wieschie.
m
l
!